Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2016, 05:34 AM   #1

Dealer Servicing

My wife and I are getting ready to move up to a DP probably Ventana or DStar, we live in RI and the closest dealer is 3hrs away. I have talked with dealer and they were fairly clear that the folks who bought from them would be taken care as compared to customers who bought else ware? I would like the opion of getting prices from other Newmar Dealers along the East Coast, but service may be an issue?? Now I know this happens as my Winnie Adventurer is serviced locally because I bought locally, just wondering if/ how other folks handle this or if anyone has any suggestions, or am I stuck with dealer 3hrs away
67vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 05:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I had a dealer two hours away but I chose the dealer 23 hours away because of the reputation in the service department.
tdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We live in Ohio but bought the Dutch Star from the largest Newmar dealer in Florida. Price differential was significant but the reason we bought in Florida is that we spend the winter months there. We have serviced the DS in Indiana but we go to the "back of the line" for service. Newmar has a dealer listing which shows their "premier" dealers who probably would offer better/quicker service to all owners.
However, I believe that with the large number of units the industry has sold in the last few years, and the continuing quality problems with all RV'S manufacturers (but that is another issue!!), that the wait times have increased substantially. For example, in the past I could wait for an oil change/lub but now the RV has to be dropped off and I will be notified when it is available. Our dealer is 150 miles away from home!! If it wasnt for some warranty issues I would have the oil/lub done by a local Freightliner dealer!
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
With the closest dealer three hours away Newmar will allow you to take your coach to a closer repair place. We lived in NC and bought from a dealer in Ohio who no longer sells Newmar, the dealer mentioned above in Florida also gave us a great price.

We had no issues getting it serviced, we had it serviced by a dealer two hours away from home but we could have had it done closer by an independent RV repair place, we just liked going to the coast where this dealer was.

You could look at the RV service reviews in your area and contact one of them to see if they have done warranty service for Newmar, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Where are these Newmar highest rated service centers listed? I look at the newmarcorp site, showing their service centers and cannot seem to find any rating system. Help!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
My experience is that most dealers that push "preffered service" as a selling point have marginal at best service centers. They are most likely to be seedy in all their dealings. The travel time you save by going to them is rapidly off-set when you have to take your coach back over and over because of shoddy work. Check out yelp and other sources before ever buying local.

Newmar pushes their selection of dealers as a selling point. From my research their dealer network is no better than any other. That is to say, a few outstanding dealers but most not meeting the standards you would expect. Bottomline: If you don't live near one of these good dealers, expect to drive to one. Did you ever wonder why many newmar owners (tiffin too) take their coaches back to the manufactor for service
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #7

There area growing number of RV dealers that prescribe to the “We Will Service Your Unit If You Bought It From Us.” All others will either be turned down or pushed far to the bottom of the list. Not a great policy for vehicles that typically are used far away from home.
This scenario actually happened to me this past December. I was over 3,500 miles from home on vacation. My 2013 motorhome experienced a dash heater core leak. Engine glycol was leaking at the rate of about one quart per hour. I contacted a large Florida RV dealer that was an authorized service center for the make of rig I had. They were only too eager to help, that is until they discovered I did not buy it from them! The early January opening changed to sometime in March or April at the earliest!
Well, I cancelled Disney World and another planned events and headed for the motorhome manufacturer located in Indiana. We endured snow and cold weather instead of the warmth of Florida we had hoped for, but the factory service fixed everything up without delay.
Now, this isn’t saying that all independent dealers operate in this manner. However, this may well cause a domino-effect in a tit-for-tat way. If you won’t service my customers, I won’t service yours. I don’t want to be in the middle of that!
I for one, will now avoid dealing with any dealer that conforms to this policy. RV owners should post there experiences with these specific dealers so a list of them could be established. The mere forming of such a list would discourage this type of poor business behavior.
Peter
Old 04-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Lug-nut I must've missed something you say start a list but you never said who the dealer was that turned you down?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #9

The dealer that my incident occurred was North Trail RV in Fort Myers. While no policy was stated, they were more interested in who I was and have I ever been there. My answer was yes, I've had service done in past years there. After a short hold, the fact that I didn't buy it from them was obviously confirmed and I was not only moved to "Sometime in March or April", but I was promised a call back, which even up to today, has never happened.

Peter
Old 04-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #10

Slabman

To see the Top 10 Dealers, both sales and service, and the Mahlon award (best of the best) look at the Newmar Facebook site. Each year, shortly after the annual dealer meeting, they have posted photos of the award winners.

Here's some links for 2015
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2144511&type=3

ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Lug_nut: Thanks for sharing but i have already purchased my motor home from them so I can't help buy avoiding them. I purchased it at north trail RV from reading posts on may web sites about motor home dealers. And North trail came out the best with reviews I read. They also beat the lowest bidder buy 10'000 dollers. That being said I think what you experienced is the same thing car dealers do. And you would think doing things like that would hurt their business but it doesn't seem too. But I think you're right we need a list .
Old 04-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ghaynes754: trophies given to Newmar dealers from Newmar
Old 04-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67vette View Post
My wife and I are getting ready to move up to a DP probably Ventana or DStar, we live in RI and the closest dealer is 3hrs away. I have talked with dealer and they were fairly clear that the folks who bought from them would be taken care as compared to customers who bought else ware? I would like the opion of getting prices from other Newmar Dealers along the East Coast, but service may be an issue?? Now I know this happens as my Winnie Adventurer is serviced locally because I bought locally, just wondering if/ how other folks handle this or if anyone has any suggestions, or am I stuck with dealer 3hrs away
67vette
Do as you wish.... but in the 20 years, (148k miles), I've owned my coach I have found that when my coach needed service it was NEVER anywhere near the dealer I purchased it from...(who BTW, went out of business when my coach was only 4 years old).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
"Local" for us depends on the time of year, winter or summer (when not traveling). In either case the nearest Newmar dealer would be 2.5 hours away. Unfortunately, these two dealers were also the highest bids (of six) when we were shopping for our new rig, and not by a little. For tens of thousands, "local" falls by the wayside as a consideration.

Also consider, few dealers are truly equipped for or trusted with much beyond an oil change when it comes to chassis maintenance or repair. Most likely you'll be taking the coach to a certified chassis or engine service shop for any mechanical work not related to the "house", regardless of where you buy the coach.

As for the house part, both on our current American Coach and our soon to be Newmar coach, the factory service center would be our first choice for service, understanding that this may not be possible or practical for everyone or all the time. For those in that circumstance, research on the dealer service department becomes more important.

Bottom line, all else being equal I'd like to do business locally, but for many thousands of dollars local becomes anything on my side of the Rockies.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer