Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Rd1

Dealers refusing warranty work!

Visiting west coast for the winter, from the other side. Needed some warranty work and Newmar recommended two of their dealers nearby. Holland Motorhomes and Temecula Valley RV.

Called Holland and point blank I was told, if you didn't buy from us we won't service! Wow... nice they are straight forward... I have had a lot of experience with dealers before, this is a new one..

then called Temecula, they too wanted to know if it is warranty or customer pay. for warranty, they don't have time may be till the end of april!!!

perhaps it has to do with too much sun!!.. never mind, it has been cloudy and rainy often over here.. may be they are just not themselves.. amazing. glad I don't live here and don't have to deal with these two dealers.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been discussed (and cussed) many times on the forum. The factories don't pay standard labor rates for warranty work so the dealers will always take their customers or full pay repairs first.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't see how Newmar can let their dealers treat Newmar customers that way, another good reason to never buy new.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
Visiting west coast for the winter, from the other side. Needed some warranty work and Newmar recommended two of their dealers nearby. Holland Motorhomes and Temecula Valley RV.

Called Holland and point blank I was told, if you didn't buy from us we won't service! Wow... nice they are straight forward... I have had a lot of experience with dealers before, this is a new one..

then called Temecula, they too wanted to know if it is warranty or customer pay. for warranty, they don't have time may be till the end of april!!!

perhaps it has to do with too much sun!!.. never mind, it has been cloudy and rainy often over here.. may be they are just not themselves.. amazing. glad I don't live here and don't have to deal with these two dealers.
This is an ongoing problem for many of us throughout the country. I wish that Newmar would step in and resolve this problem once and for all. This attitude by many dealers does not reflect well on Newmar! They should pull their line from dealers who behave this way!
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I don't see how Newmar can let their dealers treat Newmar customers that way, another good reason to never buy new.
It's not just Newmar! Every dealer for all makes is an independent business, they have the right to refuse any and all service for what ever reason they want. Why should they take low paying work when they can do all the business they want at full pay rates?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
It's not just Newmar! Every dealer for all makes is an independent business, they have the right to refuse any and all service for what ever reason they want. Why should they take low paying work when they can do all the business they want at full pay rates?
And that pretty well sums up the attitude of a lot of businesses that sell things with a warranty. If they made the original sale then you are their customer they have an investment in caring for. If not then you are at minimum a less than an optimum profit. If they are busy you are a nuisance.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The resolution to this is to call Newmar and get them involved. If under warranty, they can send out a private repair company.

[moderator edit]
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Doesn't Newmar pay the shops regular labor rate?
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
It's not just RVs and Newmar. There's an active recall for my Grand Cherokee. It's the transmission shift/park problem that killed Anton Yelchin (the new Chekov). I called the local Jeep dealer (Fort Myers, FL) in November to schedule an appointment to fix it. The earliest date they would schedule it for was March. They have ONE tech that does these recalls.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #10

There's a lot of issues getting warranty work done on new units. Getting dealer time to work on it is just one. Not providing service if you didn't buy from them if you are from out of state is the dumbest I've heard. Since most dealers are swamped with work, they don't seem real eager to follow up with either the customer or suppliers when parts are needed. There is also the issues of getting service warranty or otherwise on Ford based motorhomes as many/most Ford dealers won't touch them.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
This attitude by many dealers does not reflect well on Newmar! They should pull their line from dealers who behave this way!
Then who would sell their products?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #12

I own a RV repair shop, we service & repair all makes & models of RV's and do warranty work for any manufacture that we can. Some manufactures such as Winnebago won't pay warranty unless it's done by one of their dealers. That being said it's not me making the decision for that customer its the manufacture. We do a lot of warranty work and EVERY manufacture pays us what I agree to get paid per hour from them. I very seldom reduce the shop rate for warranty, and am very seldom told they'll only pay "x" amount (which would be less). Normally it's extended warranty companies that pull that move. Which in that case it's up to the shop if they charge the customer the remaining amount. With all that said, I will say that almost all warranty work takes more effort from the office staff to get the needed parts and working thru the paperwork to get paid. Personally I like warranty work even thou I probably lose money up front but once the warranty ends hopefully I've gained a customer! Now one thing I will say is that if a warranty RV comes in and the customer gives me a list of warranty items and a list of customer pay items..... your more likely of getting quicker service because of a simple fact, warranty from almost every manufacture is VERY slow pay. I've got bills and employees to pay and cash flow is still king! Now if the manufacture will pay with a credit card over the phone the day the work is done once the RV owner sign's off on the job, well that's the same as customer pay in my eyes and probably most shop owners eyes..! This is an age old problem and when a lot of us shop owners got burned a few years back when one day there open and authorizing warranty work and the next day there closed and filling bankrupt and shops never got paid for the work that was done.... It changed the way many look at things!
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
It's not just RVs and Newmar. There's an active recall for my Grand Cherokee. It's the transmission shift/park problem that killed Anton Yelchin (the new Chekov). I called the local Jeep dealer (Fort Myers, FL) in November to schedule an appointment to fix it. The earliest date they would schedule it for was March. They have ONE tech that does these recalls.
I just had this recall done on my Grand Cherokee. If you ever make it up to Orlando call Fields Jeep. I called & got appt and recall completed in 1 week (did not buy Jeep from them either). Guess like coaches there are all types of dealers!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #14

I bought my Newmar at Fife RV in Fife (Tacoma), Washington. I will never take it back there again for service. Once was enough as more stuff got broke than got fixed. Short story was they had it over a month, left it unplugged in freezing (16 degrees) weather after being told it was not winterized. We searched out a found a great RV repair shop that took care of the rest of our warranty work and non-warranty work as needed such as tow bar, generator service, 6 month engine service, etc. The only work they have not done for me was an issue with a hub on the tag axel that Freightliner took care of under warranty. The shop told me they did not have the expertise for the hub work otherwise I would have used them as well. As it turns out, the shop we use in Infinity Coach in Sumner and the post by Infinityjim just above is actually the owner and a great guy. He tells it like it is and did so in his explanation from an owners point of view. Thanks Jim.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, warranty