Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Dealers -- the fun begins

North Trail on an order asked for $20K non refundable deposit, then dropped to $10K.

Independence 10% non refundable.

I only spec'd out items off the build sheet nothing special

I thought the standard was about $5,000 (refundable upon sale by the dealer)

What's up with this
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jimbo2013,
In 05 NT got a $15K deposit from me. I do not recall if it was non-refundable. It seems reasonable based on the total transaction $s.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nope nope nope and more nope. No way jose, no how, ain't gonna happen.

A dealer told me that they don't like to order stuff that's not like what "they" would order on their own, and that if I didn't take they would be "stuck" with it. (trust me, you'll sell it, i said)

I'm sorry, but I thought your job as a dealer was to get me what I want? But I'm not paying you squat until that RV is here and PDI'd thoroughly with all problems addressed and fixed. THEN I pay you.

I "might" drop 5k as good faith, only if it was in writing that it was refundable. They would also have to state a delivery deadline in writing (not that it would have to be super fast or soon, but they better have that declared.)
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

When we bought ours we didn't pay a dime until the day we picked it up. After we agreed to make the purchase, and got the price sheet stating the terms, we shook hands and left. On the way home I asked my wife if we really bought a MH as we didn't put down any deposit. We fully expected to have to put some deposit down.We thought maybe he forgot as it was late in the day and they were closing when we made the deal. I called our dealer(owner) the next day and asked him if we bought a MH as we didn't put down a deposit and he said "of course you did we shook hands and I know that means something to me and people like you who put so much thought into the purchase" When we picked up the MH the financial end took all of 20 minutes signing paperwork as everyone was on the same page. That is a huge reason we bought from our dealership, because of the entegrity the owner had and he was this way every time we met with him which was numerous times before we decided what we wanted. Dealer is Tom Lindstrom in Moorpark Ca.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
A hand shake thought those days were gone.......please pm me his info was it tom himself?

Just talked to two others dealers, both said $5K
Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
A hand shake thought those days were gone.......please pm me his info was it tom himself?

Just talked to two others dealers, both said $5K
Can you share what other dealers you spoke to. We are looking at possibly ordering.

I have spoke to Independence and NorthTrail about in stock units only at this point. Neither has impressed me; well Independence did at first but then they just stopped responding to my emails. Have you tried Myers? My conversations with them have been good so far.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Never mind...my mistake.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #8

Yes you deal with Tom himself, he is the only one who will talk price/options/delivery with you. He only has two other people and one finance lady working for him as it is a small dealership. He has a contract with a service only RV shop who is Newmar authorized for warranty issues. Small things he has the mechanic come to his lot to do the repair work. But he is one of the top 10 Newmar dealers in the US.This is going to sound stupid but how do you PM...

Anyway if you go to his website Tom Lindstrom RV, it will have all his contact info as well as some of his in stock stuff. I think he does more orders than anything and has a few on his lot for people to see. If you see something you want or click on the contact info He (Tom ) will call you back personally. And don't be afraid to give him your info (email/phone numbers ect) as he will not pester you with continual callbacks or br pushy. Each time we talked to him(and it was several) we initiated the contact by either sending him an email or leaving a voicemail. He is just a really honest, experienced RV dealer with alot of integrity. Believe me he is the big reason we bought a Newmar, we didn't even know the Brand until we met with Tom, and at first thought it was our of the price range we wanted to spend, but quickly found out with his discount we were getting more for our money by buying a Newmar, as well as not having to deal with arrogant big dealer salesmen (I know there a some good ones too) or GM's who think they are doing you a favor selling you a MH....Good Luck....Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
?
He said "Just talked to two others dealers, both said $5K"

I wanted to know who those dealers were.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #10

I was at Transwest RV in Frederick, CO a couple of weeks ago and they had a big selection of 2014's and also 2015's on the way. They're a new Newmar dealer and are a pretty big dealership so they're ordering a lot of coaches.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
He said "Just talked to two others dealers, both said $5K"

I wanted to know who those dealers were.
My mistake...sorry.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I'll be happy to share, give me a day or two until all the responses come back.

But I have a verbal (no trade) 28% off with $5,000 refundable deposit.
Waiting for conformation email.

He's so straight to deal with it was like a breath of fresh compared to others.

-----------

Do you realize if the dealer goes out of biz, you lose deposit, Newmar doesn't have your money. If they file bankruptcy you may get it back in a year or two.

Don't think because their big with inventory means they are financially sound. Lots of folks thought the banks wouldn't fail a few years ago.

So the amount of deposit must be reasonable, I think $5K I can live with.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
My mistake...sorry.
Thanks
Old 09-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jimbo....we bought ours from Tom Lindstrom.....I live about 3/4 of a mile from the dealership. He is the most straight forward dealer you'll ever meet. I'll often stop by to visit and he'll have me sit in and let customers ask me very direct questions about my Newmar and the dealership.

When he sold my trade, he had me do the delivery because I had done so much work to mine in regards to upgrades.

Tom's Cell (818) 383-8895
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer