RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2018, 11:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dealing with Newmar Dealerships

After a year of research we have decided to get a Newmar Bay Star. We were going to wait until this winter due to our retirement date, but decided that since year end sales for any remaining units may be occurring soon, that we could purchase now and at least benefit. I found a few 2018's with the features we would want and still available so emailed two dealerships. One is on the recommended list from this forum and the other is not. I requested we be contacted should the coach remain on the lot when their end of year sales occurs. Both responded within an hour (on a weekend) that their respective coach was already on clearance now. Great, I thought. This must be the Newmar responsiveness I was anticipating but still was impressed that the response was so immediate. I then ask each what the new price was now. Sigh. The not recommended dealer wrote and did not answer that question. Instead, he asked if we would finance or pay cash. I wish I would have just said we were financing since I bet they would offer a lower price than if the response is "cash"- which is what we will do. But instead I said that we could discuss payment arrangements after further review that would include information about the current sales price. I never heard from him again. The highly recommended dealer also said their coach was on clearance. I asked for the current price and never heard from them again.

This will be our first RV. I have learned from these forums and friends that own RV's that it is not like buying a car. However, this first experience with two different dealerships is very discouraging. One of the big reasons we chose Newmar was because of the reviews of customer service before, during and after the sale. If it had only been the not on the recommended list dealer, I would have assumed it was why they did not make the list. But it was also with a dealership that is highly regarded on these forums. It has now been days with no further communication. I do not think it is unreasonable to ask what the current price is. I know I could pick up the phone, but already I doubt that these are dealerships I would want to do business with in the first place. Unfortunately, they do have the only 2018 coaches with the floor plans and features we need left on their lots.

We will now wait until winter and use a different dealer and maybe look what is on the lots or build. Or, we might go with another brand that we also liked for our needs and has good reviews. But we were so sure it would be a Newmar. I know they want to make as much money as possible but I am already feeling like we will need to be on alerted defense and that buying a coach will be much more complicated than I ever imagined.

In any case, I am wondering if it is typical for a dealership to not respond with the actual price of a coach "on sale"? Is it going to be this gamey? Any tips besides just answering "financing with you, of course". Any thoughts for buying and dealing with RV dealerships would be appreciated.

RoamerDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think most will send you a quote if you narrow it down to a specific unit on their lot. I would also call them directly.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:57 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Roamer, since you are from Flower Mound you should visit NIRVC in Lewisville and see if they have any units you may be interested in. During your visit ask for a tour of their dealership. I think you will like it.
Now as for as pricing in emails. Probably better to call and talk to a sales person.
You should get the MSRP on the unit and then subtract 30% or more if it is a 2018 on the lot close out. MSRP - 30% is AVG. Some dealers won’t go that deep and some will.
We live in Illinois, but we frequently visit north Texas to visit relatives and to Midland to visit our son and my brother. We had been looking to purchase a new Dutch Star for a few years. On one of these trips we stopped in at NIRVC in Lewisville Texas and a sales person showed us 3 different model Dutch Stars, 2 Mountain Air’s an Essex, and a King Air. Gave us a tour of the dealership. Then asked us what and when were we looking to purchase, did we want to order from factory or buy off the lot. They took the time to show us all the color pallet choices for inside and outside paint schemes. Then they gave us an order sheet to take home with us.
We talked price in a ballpark area. Nothing concrete but no pressure tactics either. We said our good bye’s and thanked them for all the info.
After deciding we wanted to order from the factory I called the sales person back, emailed my order form showing all options I wanted. They had no problem giving me the price I wanted which was 29% discount. We placed the order, took delivery at dealership in March ( chose dealership instead of factory due to our shake down trip being around Texas). Was extremely satisfied wth my choice of dealer. Will use them again.

I know this was too long but you have a great dealer at your back door, visit it, kick the tires talk to different sales people. Then call them to talk price.

Good luck with your hunt. We also have just retired. Back from our first long trip (6wks) and are getting ready to head out west for 8 wk trip.
BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:12 AM   #4
tvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodieJames View Post
Roamer, since you are from Flower Mound you should visit NIRVC in Lewisville and see if they have any units you may be interested in. During your visit ask for a tour of their dealership. I think you will like it.

Now as for as pricing in emails. Probably better to call and talk to a sales person.

You should get the MSRP on the unit and then subtract 30% or more if it is a 2018 on the lot close out. MSRP - 30% is AVG. Some dealers won’t go that deep and some will.

We live in Illinois, but we frequently visit north Texas to visit relatives and to Midland to visit our son and my brother. We had been looking to purchase a new Dutch Star for a few years. On one of these trips we stopped in at NIRVC in Lewisville Texas and a sales person showed us 3 different model Dutch Stars, 2 Mountain Air’s an Essex, and a King Air. Gave us a tour of the dealership. Then asked us what and when were we looking to purchase, did we want to order from factory or buy off the lot. They took the time to show us all the color pallet choices for inside and outside paint schemes. Then they gave us an order sheet to take home with us.

We talked price in a ballpark area. Nothing concrete but no pressure tactics either. We said our good bye’s and thanked them for all the info.

After deciding we wanted to order from the factory I called the sales person back, emailed my order form showing all options I wanted. They had no problem giving me the price I wanted which was 29% discount. We placed the order, took delivery at dealership in March ( chose dealership instead of factory due to our shake down trip being around Texas). Was extremely satisfied wth my choice of dealer. Will use them again.

I know this was too long but you have a great dealer at your back door, visit it, kick the tires talk to different sales people. Then call them to talk price.

Good luck with your hunt. We also have just retired. Back from our first long trip (6wks) and are getting ready to head out west for 8 wk trip.

Don't , buy new , look at a good low mileage 2 year old Newmar , .....you will save a lot of money , plus the original owner will have had the RV in the shop for months fixing all the warranty stuff on his time , A Two year old coach has most bugs sorted out and still have remaining factory warranties, we found one with only 6000 miles on it , it was in mint new condition, Don't Buy New !!!
Old 08-01-2018, 06:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
Consider going to the Tampa Super Show in mid January. Go to https://www.frvta.org/show/florida-rv-supershow/ for information.
1. Newmar will have about 50 2019 coaches on display (and for sale).
2. Everybody needs an excuse to come to Florida in the Winter.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
2. Everybody needs an excuse to come to Florida in the Winter.

Amen to Florida in January Gary. Just need the job to allow it.

On a gasser I would expect more along the lines of 25% off MSRP. Especially with all the 2019 build slots sold out, dealers may be less inclined to discount units in the lots.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:11 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Year end clearance isn’t what it used to be on Newmar’s the aggressive $ increases each year model help to relive dealer inventory because of price differential. Automatic savings on previous year compared to new year model. My exact build 18 DS would be 17k retail more in 19 at the same exact deal figures.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #8

In all likelihood you will be able to get the best pricing if you order a new coach rather than buying one off the lot. When purchasing for inventory dealers use what is referred to as "floor planning". They purchase the units from the manufacturer using a bank loan. While the unit is in inventory the dealer pays the bank monthly interest only on the loan. When the unit sells the balance of the loan is due.

Any unit setting on the lot more than 30 days is accumulating the cost of interest on the loan that will be incorporated into the sale price. If you order a unit there will be no added interest cost, and the dealer will likely settle on a lower price to turn the cash quickly.

We have done this on 2 occasions and it's been worth our time. We purchased the first motorhome for a little over 30% off the list price and the second for a little over 29% off the list price.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
GKU

We purchased our DS off the dealer lot at model year end, at the time we thought we got a great deal. It was compared to other dealers. We ordered a 2019 MA from the same dealer and we received a much better discount 30+off MSRP, including options and specials.
So ordering a new custom Coach gets you exactly what you want on it at a better price. Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!
GKU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #10

I think you will find you get better response if you CALL and actually speak to a sales person. Emails are too impersonal and work best only AFTER you establish a relationship. It also helps if you can tell them you are a serious buyer interested in one or more coaches they have in stock and you can give them a stock number, which lets them know you done some homework.

In today's market everybody is busy and they don't have time to waste on tire-kickers sending unspecific emails. Save the emails for follow up and details after you get their attention. Happy shopping! And, FWIW, I recommend NIRVC in Lewisville for an honest, straight forward, buying experience. Angie Morrell is likely their best sales person, especially knowledgeable on Newmar coaches, but she STAYS busy. Very Busy, for good reasons.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with all the comments that recommend phone contact. But that does not excuse dealers who are rude in failing to respond to your emails.

That said, I think many dealers are naturally reluctant to put discount prices in writing in an e-mail. There’s too much chance the perspective customer may use the email to “shop” for a better price. So, the proper dealer response to your email would be to come back with a request that you call in for pricing.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I want to thank everyone for your replies. It was very helpful and kind of you to offer. With your encouragement, I did call the highly recommended dealer and asked for the pricing on the coach that was the closest to a full match to our desired features. The response was quick and we learned that there was no financial benefit to us to get this end of year model. They have several of our model so at least they have my contact info.

Yes, we have used the National indoor RV in Lewisville to refine our choices and they had the model we would like but earlier this year. Unfortunately, we were still too new in our search to know what we wanted. By the time we knew, it was gone. They are already showing 2019's and their last acceptable Bay Star for us was sold a while back. If we build, we will give them first chance at our business. We feel very fortunate to live within 10 miles of a recommended dealership and are pleased to hear about your experiences with them. They have been nice to us and have spent their time showing us their coaches this year on several occasions.

Again, thank you all for your kind efforts to help me. I have learned so much from all of you over the last many months.
RoamerDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #13

Depending on your plans, you may want to buy whatever unit you decide a few monthsbefore you need it. Whether new or used, there could be issues that you can have resolved prior to hitting the road onto your next adventure.
BirchyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We just bought a bay star this year a few years old from north trail in class flew the 1800 miles down picked up motorhome and drove back to mass,couldn't be happier.I would be hesitant buying new also never even considered it,let the previous owners fix all the issues

jarata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, newmar