Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Decided to keep current coach, thanks to all.

First off, thanks to all that supplied answers to my never ending questions on various coaches and aspects.

We had thought we wanted to get a new to us coach and started seriously looking. When we finally found what we thought we really wanted (2008 MADP 4523) and got the price to what we thought was a good deal, although losing more on our current coach than we really liked we did some serious thinking.

What we decided is that we are just going to fix up the few things in our current coach that we want to do, which is WAYYY less than financing a different coach, and be happy with the one we have. We have zero issues, like the floorplan ok and think we have a good sound coach.

What we want to do is actually a pretty short list.
1. Install residential refer
2. Paint front/rear caps and radii
3. install MCD manual day/night shades in the coach part. we actually like the drapes for the front that my wife made, so no MCD up there.
4. replace KVH in-motion (that only works when it wants to) with a Wineguard Travler
5. Replace the 74" J-lounge on the passenger side with a straight couch which would then allow us to move it away from the wall about 8" and install a lift TV behind it. We could move the J-lounge the required distance but with the slides in we would not be able to walk fore-aft.

That's it really......MUCH cheaper than a new to us coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #2

If you take good care of your coach it does make sense to up date and keep it. Here in California you also have to add a lot of sales tax to the price. We are talking our self into to keep our 04 Essex. Have made many changes to make it more up to date. Tom
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

We went through the same thing also, but like you, decided we will just upgrade as well. We put MCD's in this spring, and just this weekend I completed my res fridge install, alot of work , but glad I did it. I also put new batteries in adding two more. Also just had new tires and Koni shocks put on. Past owner had already upgraded all four TV's. Should keep us happy now, but the checkbook did take a big hit. As said, still cheaper than buying a new coach.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
What we want to do is actually a pretty short list.
1. Install residential refer
2. Paint front/rear caps and radii
3. install MCD manual day/night shades in the coach part. we actually like the drapes for the front that my wife made, so no MCD up there.
4. replace KVH in-motion (that only works when it wants to) with a Wineguard Travler
5. Replace the 74" J-lounge on the passenger side with a straight couch which would then allow us to move it away from the wall about 8" and install a lift TV behind it. We could move the J-lounge the required distance but with the slides in we would not be able to walk fore-aft.
Mrchips ... some really nice additions. Are you planning to do the work yourself or have it done? Should be some fun projects ... and don't forget we like pictures! Hope you can post some along the way.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We almost sprung for a new, but one year old DSDP on a dealers lot. Dealer matched the DW request for less down and they would get us great financing. But then DW decided she just liked our rig too well.
Last year we took out the hide a bed and replaced it with two La Z Boy recliners. Would like to get the MCD style day/nights to replace the old day/night ones and replace the draw around front curtains with electric MCD's.
Getting ready to replace the cooling system hoses and go with new the new almost lifetime coolant. Also got a new slideout motor to replace one that should have been replaced under warranty years ago but the dealer just jury rigged it to get it out of warranty.
Also replaced the lighted entry handle since the original was cracking, plus lots of other stuff like the Amish cooling unit but now the door gasket is broken and no replacement available. So it'll be replaced with a home unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #6

I plan on doing everything myself except for the paint. I am not a painter nor do I profess to be....lol. Most projects will probably be over the winter. I have already done the living room floors. I replaced all the carpet with laminant flooring and we took the drivers side couch out and replaced with Euro recliners.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #7

Mrchips Replacing the carpet in the front is our next project on our 04 Essex. What make of flooring covering did you use? Any suggestions on doing that project. Thanks Tom
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Mrchips Replacing the carpet in the front is our next project on our 04 Essex. What make of flooring covering did you use? Any suggestions on doing that project. Thanks Tom
Hi Tom,
I used Armstrong Alterna tiles. You can install these tiles with or without the grout joint. I installed with grout, grout is supplied by Armstrong also.
Turned out really nice. Went under the rollers with the tiles and also went under the dash, had to take it all out! Found an adult size slipper, a pair of pliers and 2 size C batteries under the couch slide...
Word of caution, do not use any laminate that 'clicks" together as these normally have to be lifted to be clicked together and this won't work going under the slides or cabinets...

MrChips,
I was also looking at a new 2011 leftover at a dealer near Montreal. Will probably end up doing like you. Invest a little more in the nice coach that I already have. Would like to do MCDs and maybe a res. fridge also.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #9

Just bought a new to us a 04 mountain air Hope we have good luck with it. New tires and a new couch. Repaired chips in the windshield. Not familiar with the heating and hot water system any one have some info on the system.
myliladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #10

Tom I used Shaw flooring, in their Carribean Vue series in Victorian Cherry color. If you look at all of my threads I have started I posted several pictures during the install and the finished floor. I don't know how to attach the tread to this post or I would.

Yes, you absolutely can by the click together flooring. There is no issue at all. Start it under the flush floor and work your way to the raised floor. Once you get to the piece that will finish under the raised slide, you take and slide it down the piece so that you don't have to raise it to click. It works, just have to try it. You may not get the "click" in on the end but it will not go anywhere as it is under the slide slightly.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Tom I used Shaw flooring, in their Carribean Vue series in Victorian Cherry color. If you look at all most threads I have started I posted several pictures during the install and the finished floor. I don't know how to attach the tread to this post or I would.
Here it is ...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/upda...ml#post1444702

"Assistant" to Mrchips
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes, you absolutely can by the click together flooring. There is no issue at all. Start it ...
MrChips, Hope you were not offended by my earlier post. All I wanted to do is point out that it might be difficult to click pieces together when approaching the cabinets and slides when you want to get underneath them. In my case it would have been impossible with slides facing each other and no wiggle room sideways. Just wanted to prevent someone from buying a bunch of material and starting this project only to realize the difficulty after the work has started...
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #13

AWWW cool, an IRV2 "assistant", man I need one....LOL. I appreciate that. I don't know how to do what you just did there...LOL

There are also a couple more threads I did showing the completed project that my "assistant" failed to post......lol

Daniel, absolutely not offended in any way. I don't know if the way I do it is the "correct way", but it does work. I have done four coaches all the same. But you need to start at the flush floor side. I just try to help based on my experience and learn from others.

I agree it is not an easy project but I am a firm believer that if there is a will there is a way...LOL
Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I agree it is not an easy project but I am a firm believer that if there is a will there is a way...LOL
I'd rather be IN someones will!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote