Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #15

The possible error of my ways is that the dome WILL work for Dish Network so my statement that "If any of the above are true" would not be correct. It is only DTV users who are out of luck.
Vacman, I think you have made a very good choice. Not only will you be able to make a better decision, you will save money on an after-market installation.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Perhaps you have a better explanation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! The answer to your question is no! You guys have hit the nail on the head! Don't buy anything. Sit and wait for who knows what! In our case not wanting to sit and wait we purchased a KVH R6 aprox 1.5 years ago. We knew about the current HD issues, but chose to be able to watch TV in motion and at camp sites with no setup time. We have Directv. We currently are getting aprox 12 HD channels, plus the Sunday NFL HD ticket. Do not forget, even though we get aprox 85 more HD channels at home, with the newer dishes, we are still getting all those channels in non HD digital form. We enjoy watching a lot of TV and really love the in motion feature for the passenger to watch while underway. It is great to watch sports, weather channel, news, soap channel (I make her put on the cordless headphones for that one) or any other program. Even when we pull over for a break it's all there when we want it. When HD in motion becomes available, some people say in a year, I will upgrade what ever we own at the time. When it comes to TV, I have to have the latest. With that said, we are still trying to figure out what to order for our new coach. At this point it will probably be the KVH R6 DX for in motion, with one HD receiver, and one HD DVR. That is currently what we are using now. I love what John (CSX4350) has done with the Winegard dish. We may add that, with one receiver in the coach for when we are parked (with Newmar's setup you can send HD signals to any TV). The other choice is a portable dish. Last option is near any major City you can get a load of over the air HD signals off your coach antenna. So that is what we chose to do, but the advice from others may be more wise. Paul
Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #17

Ditto on the KVH R6. I bought mine in July of 06 and it performs significantly better than all other KVH units I have owned in the past. It picks up a signal without delay and in motion is amazing.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #18

I had a KingDome on my old MH and my MA came with an R5. Of the two I much preferred the KVH, it had a better picture and acquired the sats much faster than the KingDome did.
However, my R5 is sitting in my garage as I swapped out for the new WineGard 3005, 5 lnb HD dish. It is slower to acquire the sats but works fine once it does.

As for the hard drives in DVR's, I had a receiver in my coach go haywire about a month ago. It tried to download a software upgrade but stopped and kept saying there was an error and to call DirecTV with the error number. I did and was told that the code was a hard drive failure. I told her it wasn't a DVR so it didn't have a hard drive, she said that all receivers have a hard drive now. I took her at her word on it, as they replaced the receiver for free.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are any of your TV's going to use HD? Are you a Direct TV subscriber? Would you like to watch HD via satellite? If you answered Yes to any of these questions then the answer to your question is "You do not want to buy a dome!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! I came back to this subject because an answer to this was posted on another forum. Thought it mught help some of us.

I had KVH at the dealership this past week and they told me the NEW R6 (which I thought they designated the DX2) with the Direct 5 LnB will be 15 to 17 inches tall as the Dish 1000 will be too. The extra height is due to the larger parabola they have built to lock in multiple Sats at one time. That is why I advised against purchasing ANY dome until the newest comes out this summer. You are right about the dx. The dx is a switching system Sat dome. I was trying to give the info for the newest that will receive BOTH Dish 1000 and Direct 5 LNB without switching Sats. Doug

That will be great if the time allows to wait for it. Paul