Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #1

Decisions, Decisions

We are about 12 hours away from making our decision on whether to keep our 2008 Neptune with 45K miles or purchasing a new 2014 3436 Ventana from Guaranty RV in OR. We are planning a 10K mile vacation beginning this May and know the added mileage will depreciate our rig even more. We have just installed new tires, new batteries and a new radiator + had the two slides reworked and the clear coat on the top rails and front and back caps repainted + more amounting to about $10k in anticipation of keeping the coach for awhile, since we have over a year left on our extended warranty. The Neptune rides much better after the ride enhancement upgrades from Source Manufacturing, but know it will never ride like a Newmar. We can trade for an affordable dollar amount, but hesitate to put 10K miles on a new coach. We have been Rv'n for over 40 years, and, God willing, plan on another 7-10 years on the road. We have just turned 70, but are healthy. Most of our trips in the RV are a week or so long, under 200 miles round trip.
We have the best of both worlds now with our "stick" house and the ability to pick up and go visit our children and grandchildren in the RV.
Now about the options, we can save about $5k if we opt out of the Hydronic heat, a dealer here in CA suggested we not get it, Guaranty orders it even on their Ventana LE. In reading all the posts on this site, it sounds like everyone is sold on it. The other difference, the new Euro looking (sorry I don't remember their name) windows. The rig with the Hydronic Heat does not have them. We like the looks, but from the inside seems like some of the view is lost???
Would be so interested in hearing your opinions. Both rigs have lots of upgrades including Comfort Dr., 360 Cummings, energy management, etc.
Sorry for the long winded post, but, as you can tell, we are struggling with this decision.
Thanks for your input.
Jerry and Sydney
Guide Dog Puppy, PJ
gda raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My choice keep the MH you know for the big trip. You might find that is all you need.

Be Safe have a great trip
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
With all you have done I say keep it and wait to see how you feel after the trip.
rwjsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #4

It reads like you currently have a nice comfortable MH that is very able to make the upcoming trip. Soooo it becomes a personal/financial decision for you. Do I have the finances for the 2014 unit? If yes, is that the direction I want to spend my money? Not knowing your personal situation and thoughts it is next to impossible to tell you what you should do (although there may be some that try). All the best with your upcoming adventures.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #5

We recently ordered an LE from Guarantee and I don't recall seeing the optional Hydronic Heat on any of the LE's on the lot. We didn't look at any of the regular Ventanas as they were more than our budget.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We did the same thing with our Diplomat. Last year before a trip back east (6500 miles) I had the roof repainted, added a residential refer and MCD shades. When we got home I changed the lights out to LED and changed the front TV from a 32" to a 39". It had everything done to it, but we knew that it (2005) wasn't going to last another (at least) 12 years. We pulled the trigger last week and bought a new Dutch Star. I'm looking forward to putting miles on the new one and taking a bunch of trips.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #7

Sorry, I was wrong...what the LE has as well as the Ventana is the comfort drive, which I think is the very most important feature.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #8

The trade in value is more today after all the upgrades than it was last Oct, and the price of the 2014 Ventana is the same. So, if we trade for the new one, all that extra $$$ spent seems to be well spent. The extras on the Ventana would make our 10K mile trip this summer more pleasurable and with the comfort drive maybe even safer. If we can figure out the Hydronic Heat, Auto Gen Start and a few other "new" options, we should be in good shape.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
One thing with any new coach there is a break in period for chassis and the coach itself.
This PDI list will have some of the items that would be checked.
After the money you have spent on present coach and your formulization to it I would take your long trip in it and enjoy the experience and maybe after decide on your new coach.
Mean while you can look through these items Brochure & Owners Guide and make your decision on the new coach.
You can also read the threads of others in their decision process in QT's#3 and may wind up with a DSDP.
What ever you do safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hmm. Depending on the miles on your coach, I would look at the cost of your coach today and after the trip. It probably won't change much. The new coach is what it is. I might consider "ordering" the coach, take the trip and pick up the new coach after you return.

I have the hydronic heat / water heater. LOVE IT!
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:47 AM   #11

We were in a similar situation. We had 13 year old coach, and figure we both have another 10-15 years RVing. Our biggest issue was finding a coach we liked as well as our old one. We pulled the trigger on a new Dutch Star last October, ordered it, and will be picking it up in the next week or two. Should you choose to do the same, I would recommend staying with the hydronic heating. Although I haven't used it yet, it gets rave reviews. The comfort driver was also part of what sold me on the Dutch star.

I had replaced both tv's in our old coach with flat screen LED LCD's, removed the carpet and put in a wood floor, removed a couch and added two recliners. Put in MCD shades before our trip to Alaska two years ago. Lots of work, made it our own, but wasn't sure about keeping it another 10-15 years. Add to that any coach over 10 years old becomes difficult to finance, and we chose to upgrade.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gda raiser,
For me, safety and convenience are of primary importance. We are not that far apart in age (I'm 67). Assuming the floor plan for each coach is good for you, do what provides the most safety and convenience. We are at a time in life where stress and drama is something left for younger people.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #13

gda,

If you are this close to signing a deal, you must be looking for that final push to put yourself into the Ventana and based on your original post last night, the clock is ticking and you are now down to about 2 1/2 hour so good luck on a decision.

What I can say is that my 2013 Ventana 3434 is not without problems, but I can still consider it as a solid coach and based on the specific price point, we would buy it again.

The one thing that I would do immediately is notify the dealer of the known problems with the Frigidaire microwave and work a deal to replace it immediately.

Enjoy you hunt.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Hmm. Depending on the miles on your coach, I would look at the cost of your coach today and after the trip. It probably won't change much. The new coach is what it is. I might consider "ordering" the coach, take the trip and pick up the new coach after you return.

I have the hydronic heat / water heater. LOVE IT!
The trade in value decreases a huge amount over 50k miles, (according to our credit union) and favorable interest rates disappear, so if financing was necessary to the new buyer, it would be a deal breaker. After our trip, it will have over 55k miles and all the "new" things we did to the coach would no longer be "new."