Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

Deep cleaning rv holding tanks

We have 2016 ventana. We use the tank spray often but what do people do and use to deep clean tanks. Thanks
lands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Deep cleaning rv holding tanks

We put a little dawn in the tank and add about an inch or two of water to the empty tank, then we ride to our next destination. All that soapy water sloshing around has to do something!
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

Why “deep clean” the waste holding tanks? Use plenty of water, rinse the black tank from time to time and be done with it.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #4

Each time we dump the tanks, I pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Dawn down the galley sink for the Grey Tank and add water.
I put 1 packet of Thedford's Campa-Chem granular in the Black Tank and also add a cup full of Borax and a capful of Calgon.
As we drive, both tanks slosh around and the next time we dump, our tanks empty completely, and the sensors are clean and function properly.
We only dump when the tanks are min. 2/3 full.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post
We put a little dawn in the tank and add about an inch or two of water to the empty tank, then we ride to our next destination. All that soapy water sloshing around has to do something!
Yep! Us too.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #6

Our new to us, four years ago ish, 2000 allure came with clogged up black tank sensors. For us we can see down the toilet to verify the level of goodness in our black tank but, I am one who wants things to work if I have them. For the life of me I can't get black tank sensors clean. Have tried the above. Have tried calgon water softener twice with a full bottle of dish detergent. Nada. Have put soaps and ice you name it.

Now I have heard happy things about happy camper. I bough a tub of the regular treatment and a tub of the extreme holding tank cleaner. Now both products have very good reviews so we will see. I am not sure it will do the trick as I have put more soap and things down that toilet to wash all the clothes in new York city for a week. We will see.

We leave Ocala the 28th for Myrtle Beach on way home to pa. I will dose tank here with extreme cleaner and make the 8 or so hour drive and dump and flush when we get there. Let's hope for success. Will keep you posted.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #7

I am ready to take my hot water pressure washer, make a 90 degree fitting and wash the tank down that way. I also have a sewer jetter that I could put into the tank outlet. Man this thing really has my goat. Maybe that's what's clogging the sensors? Goat? Where is he???
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
I am ready to take my hot water pressure washer, make a 90 degree fitting and wash the tank down that way. I also have a sewer jetter that I could put into the tank outlet. Man this thing really has my goat. Maybe that's what's clogging the sensors? Goat? Where is he???

Keep us posted. My black sensors have never worked.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
deep cleaning tanks? I question why do you think its holding debris? Even when someoone dropped a water bottle in my black tank... it still drained and was able to be cleaned properly. I ran a sewer cam in there...to see.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #10

They are 'holding tanks'........fill/dump/repeat

Tank level monitors are just another means of driving RVrs into OCD oblivion

If you add a few gallons back into the waste holding tanks after dumping then anything left behind will not dry out/stick and stink and the holding tanks are ready to hold more stuff.

RVng does NOT need to be complicated
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #11

yes, and how would you even KNOW if it's actually clean or not, even IF you go to the trouble of additional labor and chemicals? You can't see it 'thar, so just let it do it's job.... no worries!

and yes, just a little dishwashing liquid is great to keep things 'a moving along!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
Our new to us, four years ago ish, 2000 allure came with clogged up black tank sensors. For us we can see down the toilet to verify the level of goodness in our black tank but, I am one who wants things to work if I have them. For the life of me I can't get black tank sensors clean. Have tried the above. Have tried calgon water softener twice with a full bottle of dish detergent. Nada. Have put soaps and ice you name it.

Now I have heard happy things about happy camper. I bough a tub of the regular treatment and a tub of the extreme holding tank cleaner. Now both products have very good reviews so we will see. I am not sure it will do the trick as I have put more soap and things down that toilet to wash all the clothes in new York city for a week. We will see.

We leave Ocala the 28th for Myrtle Beach on way home to pa. I will dose tank here with extreme cleaner and make the 8 or so hour drive and dump and flush when we get there. Let's hope for success. Will keep you posted.
I'm waiting....
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lands View Post
We have 2016 ventana. We use the tank spray often but what do people do and use to deep clean tanks. Thanks
I don't use spray every single time ( but most of the time ) But what I do is dump tanks, add 1/3 -1/2 tank of water and add laundry detergent and drive 150-250 miles and dump and flush at next stop. We use odorless in black tank keep both tanks closed till 3/4. We have never had any odor problems. This works for me hope this helps.
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #14

No need to deep clean your tanks, they are designed for dirty work. Like others noted above, we travel with a couple of dish washer packets (spotless) from Dollar Tree in the black tank with 3-5 gallons of water to slosh around. No odors or problems.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank