Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spring flush
Start with bleach water 1/4 cup per five gallons. Fill the tank and pump through ALL LINES

Next drain and replace with Baking soda.. About 1/2 to 1` cup per tank of water (No need to be precise) and again pump through all lines

Now drain and re-fill with straight water and again flush the lines

You can then to off and you are good to go. Any slight baking soda will not be noticed or harmful.

NOTE: #1 reason I use AIR to winterize.. Getting all that pink out on my RV is not as easy as I made it sound. but I"ve never had air freeze on me (As evidenced by the fact I am still breathing).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - Unless the water system was contaminated prior to winterization or the antifreeze was contaminated there is no need to sanitize the system. Also the antifreeze is not toxic (it's in many items you eat on a daily basis) but for purposes of having clear water just run each tap until it runs clear.

Tom
X2 Tom. We usually drink and make coffee with bottled water so I drive to the first stop for the day and after connecting to the water hose bib take a shower and go to sleep by the time we use the facilities a couple of times there is little or no airborne pathogens or anti freeze left to worry about. Been doing this for thirty five years. Still here.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Spring flush
Start with bleach water 1/4 cup per five gallons. Fill the tank and pump through ALL
Thats too strong a mix...
1/4 cup for 15 gals whats recommended.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #18

Propylene glycol and ethanol (the two main types of antifreeze) are disinfectants. So flushing lines with bleach is redundant.
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtibb View Post
Propylene glycol and ethanol (the two main types of antifreeze) are disinfectants. So flushing lines with bleach is redundant.
But one is also bleaching the fresh tank, which doesn't get filled with antifreeze.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - Unless the water system was contaminated prior to winterization or the antifreeze was contaminated there is no need to sanitize the system. Also the antifreeze is not toxic (it's in many items you eat on a daily basis) but for purposes of having clear water just run each tap until it runs clear.

Tom
OMG Tom!!! Just kidding X2 I have never done anything but driven to our first stop of the Summer and hooked up to the CG water supply and taken a shower. After using all the stuff a few times the red was gone. You can take even more comfort if the CG has city water with chlorine in it. Remember, we were the generation that coated pennies from Mercury we saved from broken thermometers and rode our bikes behind the DDT truck spraying for mosquitoes.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - This seems to be one of those topics where people become unhinged. In the US and Canada I'm unaware of airborne bacteria that are likely to invade someone's fresh water tank. Also nearly every water supply (steam distilled is one exception) bacteria is present. We live in a world of bacteria of which very few types are detrimental and many are beneficial. Obviously a pathogen free water system is essential whether in a home or a motor home and no one would advocate for infested water but some do go overboard on this issue. How many home owners dismantle and disinfect their stick and brick plumbing once or twice a year?
If a system sits unused for long periods or if the bad types of coliform bacteria are present in your system then sanitize it. When I see the strength of the mixture some folks advocate for in sanitizing a tank it scares me.

Tom
Old 01-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtibb View Post
Depends on how well you like the taste of food safe antifreeze. It tends to linger in the tubing. A bleach rinse gets it out. Chlorine is easy to get out as all it takes is more water.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #23

Found this on Newmar's Newgle site. You should sign-up for it. Its a free service for Newmar Owners.

De-winterize
https://newgle.newmarcorp.com/mis/cm...terize_a_Coach

Sanitize
https://newgle.newmarcorp.com/mis/cm...e_Water_System

Tags
winter