Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
DH wants to take the BayStar to WV

DH went to college in West-by-God-Virginia (in Buchanan) and is itching to take the BayStar to the mountains. While I enjoy mountain scenery, I am not wild about driving mountain roads. Any suggestions on routes to WV coming from the NC coast, places to stay that will keep both of us happy? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Patti Brown,
This should appeal to both of you.
1. Take the route of your choice with the goal to get to I-77.
2. Take I-77 North the Beckley, West Virginia.
3. In the Beckley area there are several CG choices. You choose based on your needs.
4. Things to do in the Beckley area are:
4a. Tamarack - First class arts and crafts made by W. VA artisans. Go to Tamarack - Home for details.
5. Mine tour - Go to City of Beckley for details.
6. General Things To Do - go to The Top 5 Things to Do in Beckley - TripAdvisor - Beckley, WV Attractions - Find What to Do Today, This Weekend, or in October for details.

Interstate 77 in NC and W VA is a crocked and mountain up and down road. Hubby should be pleased to get the mountain driving in. You can be pleased that the driving exercise is on an Interstate highway.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I second what Gary said. I40 to US52/I74 in Winston-Salem to I77 is the way we get to Beckley from the Raleigh area. From Beckley take I79 to US33 will get you to Buckhannon, WV. As Gary said it's up and down basically from the NC/VA border thru WV, but nothing your Bay Star can't handle easily, we've run our Canyon Star up and down that route many times. Nothing like Black Mountain on I40 going west to Asheville.

There's at least a couple of campgrounds open year round near Buckhannon, one being Briar Point Campground at Stonewall Resort, a state park. They have full hookup sites, looks like it's very nice.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't let the mountains bother you too much Patti Brown. Our first trip was to our local mountains and I was more than a little worried but I just took it easy and all was fine. Some of the turns were a little short but taking them slow and a little wide did the trick.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
DH went to college in West-by-God-Virginia (in Buchanan) and is itching to take the BayStar to the mountains. While I enjoy mountain scenery, I am not wild about driving mountain roads. Any suggestions on routes to WV coming from the NC coast, places to stay that will keep both of us happy? Thanks!
While the mountains can be intimidating to drive it they are not that bad.

Techniques such as using tow/haul and the same gear downhill and as what was required uphill will make the trip less stressful. Common sense while driving will make a scenic trip more enjoyable.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We like Camp Creek State Park. May just stop there on Sunday or Monday.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
While I can't comment on routes for you, I can give input on CG's. WV is a beautiful state & one we RV to often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
We like Camp Creek State Park.
X2. You're half an hour from Tamarack a WV crafts mecca & the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine. You're an hour from New River Gorge.

Close to Buckhannon is Briar Point CG in Stonewall Jackson Resort - Roanoke. Nice fhu campground w/spacious sites.

Elkins has trains galore nearby...Cheat Mtn Salamander, Tygart Flyer, Durbin Rocket, Cass (Cass is a bit farther) - all of which we've been on & the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. Stayed at Pegasus Farm CG.

Head over towards Canaan Valley. Stayed at the State Park there. Nearby is Dolly Sods, Blackwater Falls, Seneca Rocks - see the Rocks at sunset! - & Seneca Caverns

If you like outlet shopping, Flatwoods KOA is behind the hotel & across the street from the Flatwoods Factory Outlet. If you time it right, they have performers at the amphitheatre there.

Most all these CG's, I have photos of (click on link in sig) &/or reviews found in the CG's section.

Hope this helps.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Our favorite state park near Buchanan is 32 miles south on WV 20. Been going to Holly River SP (off & on) for over 60 years. Sites have some room to them, 30A elect. service and water and 2 dump stations are available. The park is very well maintained, still has the original(large)spring fed swimming pool(and the water will turn you into a 'Smurf' like creature) and clean bathhouses. There is an on-site restaurant where the country cook'n can't be beat and their deserts are to die for...and darn reasonable to boot.

Fly fishing for trout in the Laurel Fork of the Holly River, hiking, swimming in said pool and all the back roading you can stand are most of the 'to do' activities. Lots of deer can be seen in the fields at dusk inside the park. Black bears are common as well. There is a small grocer a few miles south in Hacker Valley that has fuel as well. It's no Disney, but a great place to chill out and enjoy Nature.

BTW, if coming from Buchanan, the turn into the park is very tight coming from the North, so you may want to drive into Hacker Valley (very short distance), turn around and make your approach from the South.

Holly River State Park

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have been to WVA 3 years in a row.

State Parks are Fantastic!

There are lots of Semi-Tractor Trailers running there-if they can make it -you will have no issues. Roads are Great- Plenty of 4 lane Roads- Go for it! You will have a ball!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #10

Just so you are aware there is darn little near the Gorge for RV. Just tried that this summer. Even the facility, River Adventures, had an awful spot. Up on a knoll, slanted down hill to one side and back in the rear. Tons of weood later still not level and the adventure of trying to park broke our windshield. The large camnpgfrounbd that used to be near the Gorge us now seasonal only. Be very specific about what you determine "level" is when booking a site
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #11

Baystar with the Ford V10 in it gets a little loud going up the mountains. I remember that! No problems thou, just a little loud!
Captned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #12

We often stay at Battle Run campground at Summersville Lake. Not far to drive the car to the New River Bridge from there.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote