Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Diesel Burner; How Much Soot is Normal?

The diesel burner (Hydro Hot HHE-500-009M) is making a black mark on the ground at the exhaust pipe. It did it at the dealer, again at the RV Park, and now at home. I have purchased a filter and nozzle from Roger, but since have talked to the previous owner. The unit was serviced last Apr and the nozzle was changed. After nearly a week of running it to keep the bays warm, the gravel is black for about 18" diameter. There is no visible smoke when it is running. I should've taken a picture today.

Also, how long can you expect to run the Hydro Hot off the batteries when boondocking? Does it draw a lot of 12V power? Can it sustain over night with say 6 good 6V batteries? Of course the fridge is also running off the same batteries.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 12:04 AM   #2

This might help :
http://www.aquahot.com/eSource/ecom/...ice_Manual.pdf

check PAGE 83

It says 12V 60 Watt, or about 5 amps. ( prolly has a 7 to 10 amp fuse )

fuel pressure is always important with diesel equipment.
blocked exhaust, and it doesn't like low voltage

I hope this helps.
best of luck 73
Dan.
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #3

It is possible that the soot deposit you are seeing is left over from the cleaning that the person who changed the nozzle did last April. When you change the nozzle you should take a wire brush (typically with an added dowel to lengthen the handle) and brush out the combustion chamber. Any soot from this process will just blow out the exhaust when the unit runs. The black you are seeing could be soot from that operation.

But, the fact that there is that much soot suggests that your unit may be running a bit rich. Since you bought a filter and nozzle from Roger, you will notice on the receipt that you have special access to the Q&A section of his forum where he will give specific personalized answers to your questions. I would check his forum first for answers to your question, and if you don't find a specific answer ask Roger. He is your best source. I can only say that our unit does not leave any residue when it runs.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had the same model Hydrohot in our 07 MA and it also left a Soot mark. It will also kill the grass beneth the exhaust in the summer. So I loosened the screws on the Chrome tip and rotated it 45 degrees to the rear. This ended the problem. Another solution would be to replace the Chrome Tip with a Straight Tip. I never saw any benefit of the turn down tip Newmar used.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
We had the same model Hydrohot in our 07 MA and it also left a Soot mark. It will also kill the grass beneth the exhaust in the summer. So I loosened the screws on the Chrome tip and rotated it 45 degrees to the rear. This ended the problem. Another solution would be to replace the Chrome Tip with a Straight Tip. I never saw any benefit of the turn down tip Newmar used.
Good to know. The previous owner said the same thing. I just wasn't sure if what I am seeing is normal. It does smell a little rich to me. I may also rotate the exhaust tip a little. I'm not real keen with the idea of hot exhaust pointing down so close to the ground. I have been known to park on ball fields and even a golf course was used for the pit area at our race in Lake Havasu. Somebody might take exception to having a hole burned on their turf.

Bob I am registered and have received some good information on HHF. I will go ahead and change the nozzle in the near future and see if that changes the amount of soot.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:02 AM   #6

A soot spot on the ground is not normal for any Hydro-hot unit. First, I assume you have checked the status light panel beside the unit and all is normal. The operation of the unit is very simple, but the controls are a little complex, but if,it is heating the water, then that narrows the problem down to just a couple of things. The burner takes in combustion air from a tube that open under the motor home. Check it for obstructions such as mud dobber nests etc. if that is ok, then the most likely issue is the jet which probably replaced recently. If the problem existed before the last service then my money goes with the combustion air inlet. Good luck. There are a couple of sites with trouble shooting tips also
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #7

The HH will shut off automatically when power gets to low!
There is a small reset hole on the panel to reset it if needed!

My HH and fridge can go all night with no problems with the 6 6volt batteries!

As for the soot, check the air intake first then go from there!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I checked the intake. The rubber sleeve may have been crimped or folded a little, but not totally. I had already cleaned the soot on the ground to see if it is still doing it or if it stopped. I'm hoping it was just from sitting idle for so long at the dealer.

BTW Dan, the exhaust pipe is rotated toward the back at about a 45 degree angle. Did you rotate yours another 45 degrees, to where it is parallel to the ground?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I checked the intake. The rubber sleeve may have been crimped or folded a little, but not totally. I had already cleaned the soot on the ground to see if it is still doing it or if it stopped. I'm hoping it was just from sitting idle for so long at the dealer.

BTW Dan, the exhaust pipe is rotated toward the back at about a 45 degree angle. Did you rotate yours another 45 degrees, to where it is parallel to the ground?

After years of living with an AH, I'll say that a little soot on the ground is normal. Particularly if your pipe turns down at a 45 degree or greater angle. Even though you don't see any smoke, there will be some soot until the combustion chamber heats up. When it's cold weather and you are using the furnace heat and the burner is firing a couple of times an hour, you will show some soot on the ground.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
In reality I probably rotated my about 60 degrees. But then I did put a straight chrome tip on after I lost the origingal tip.

Tags
diesel