Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #1

Diesel fuel float sender issue

Opps, may have caused myself another issue.

Would topping off the fuel tank to max capacity, cause the fuel level sender/float to be damaged/bent and cause a erroneous fuel level?

IE; bent float would send signal to fuel gauge indicating 1/4 tank level remaining, when actually tank is empty?

I ask this because I'm guilty of max filling and have now received a low fuel alarm when tank gauge indicates 1/4 tank remaining.

The second indication is that when I fueled up it took 79.8 gal diesel.
I have a 2016 Ventana 4036LE, 360 HP. It has an 80 gal tank!

In anticipation of bad news, whats involved with replacing the sender?
Emptying the fuel and dropping the tank?
Like, even, " WHERE'S THE TANK"? Joke, I'll find it.

Happened just once this trip and haven't taken tank down to 1/4 level to refuel and verify fuel capacity as yet.

Any ideas?
Nadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadge View Post
Opps, may have caused myself another issue.

Would topping off the fuel tank to max capacity, cause the fuel level sender/float to be damaged/bent and cause a erroneous fuel level?

NO.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #3

Well most members here will admit to being on a first name basis with this Murphy fellow ;; NO.

BTW: 80 gal tank sounds low for a 40' diesel MH. Could be a typo in your manual.

EDIT: An 80 gal tank would have an unusable volume of 7 to 8 gals , approx 1/2 to 3/4" in the bottom of the tank , so you would have sputtered to a stop before you could fill with over 79 gals.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
NO.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:04 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is NOTHING wrong with your coach. You 2016 Ventana LE holds 100 gallons of fuel. You ran it to 20 gallons (1/4 tank) which triggered your Low Fuel light. Everything is working as designed.

Personally, I would never run my tank that low. If you have an emergency, you would not be able to run your generator because the fuel is too low.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #6

Diesel fuel float sender issue

PHEW!!

Thank you all for your unanimous explanations.

I appreciate your information.

one last question?

Can I continue to max top off and not be concerned about sender issue?

I'm aware about too high a fuel tank level may be subject to heated liquid expansion if not drawn down quickly to prevent over flow and would only do so with immediate travel.
Nadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

We’ve had our coach for four years and 35,000 miles now. I estimate the amount of fuel needed to fill my tank as I approach a fuel station. I mostly use the truck lane high velocity pumps and always pump on the slowest preset. Five gallons before I think that the tank if full I pause a minute to let the foaming subside, then trickle in the rest of the diesel. Sometimes pausing to defoam again. I do this because I experienced firsthand a “diesel shower” as others have experienced. This works for me.

To my knowledge I’ve not damaged the sender refueling in this manner.

As others have mentioned on this forum, I generally live on the top half of my fuel tank. Other than when I picked up our new coach in Nappanee (we were sucking fumes by the time that I filled up), I’ve not been below 1/3 full when filling the tank.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #8

Diesel fuel foams , and filling the tank to max takes time ; A LOT of time.

JMHO: Get to know your fuel range, and stop for fuel when the mileage approaches your range limit, stop filling at the nozzle shut off and get back on the road.
The couple of gallons you squeeze in will only get you approx 15 miles further on the road, and there's no need to cut your fuel that close to empty.

BTW: My coach will go 700 miles before the low fuel light comes on , my average driving day is 400/450 miles . I fill up in the morning of every driving day ( cool fuel in the tank yields less foam while filling) and I don't panic about topping off , WAY less chance of a fuel spill.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

...cool fuel in the tank yields less foam while filling..I .

I did not know that. I fill at or near the end of a travel day so when I hit the road in the morning, I am moving forward, not stopping right away to fuel. Guess that I will rethink that now.

Thanks Skip426!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #10

Max fill has one major problem, in my estimation. Filled one day to max, drove about 40 miles to home, and then parked (on our level pad).

Next day temps jumped about 20 degrees. By the end of the day, fuel was dripping from the filler neck.

Amazing how much fuel can expand. I imagine that while in the underground tank fuel is cooler than ambient air temperature. Add on top of that the jump in temp. Could have been a royal mess if I didn't catch it. Ended up siphoning almost 5 gallons to get fuel to proper level.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Max fill has one major problem, in my estimation. Filled one day to max, drove about 40 miles to home, and then parked (on our level pad).

Next day temps jumped about 20 degrees. By the end of the day, fuel was dripping from the filler neck.

Amazing how much fuel can expand. I imagine that while in the underground tank fuel is cooler than ambient air temperature. Add on top of that the jump in temp. Could have been a royal mess if I didn't catch it. Ended up siphoning almost 5 gallons to get fuel to proper level.
Richard....I believe modern fuel systems account for expansion as part of the Emission Systems. I've been topping off diesel in Southern California for 15 years and never an issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel