Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #15

My wife and I just order a 2012 Dutch Star and can't wait for it to be done. Newmar is a great company and builds a great coach they care about what they build. Good luck and happy camping.
Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #16

I got it backwords ISB in Ventana LE--ISC in Ventana
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome SueMac to the forum & irv2.
Here is a link to build your own, this dealer has both DS and Ventana's so you can pick what options you want, with the pricing between coach's and what maybe standard compared to options between them.
Good luck in your hunt and remember they are both Newmars that you will be happy with.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Sue,

I will introduce myself soon when we pickup our new Canyon Star in just 14 days from Guaranty RV in Oregon (a fantastic experience by the way)!

But like you, we live in eastern WA with little available to see/drive near us that we consider a higher quality - 95% are towables. You may have considered this already... but a large Newmar dealer in Winter Garden FL offered us a 'significant' travel incentive which is worth considering - especially if they have both the Ventana/DS for you to compare and drive. We're both still working and couldn't break away to drive that far back across country. But if we were retired...we'd consider it in a heart beat! For us, we'd driven 3 Newmar gas coaches including a 2006 model to compare drive/rattles/squeeks from the 2 new ones we drove. Be sure to haggle on price. We did NOT plan to buy new - but the price was only $15,000 above our original budget since it was a 2011 clearance model and the floor plan was perfect for us. We just couldn't say no!!!
rosannemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome rosannemarie to the forum & irv2.
Congratulations on your new to be Newmar and thanks for joining in the discussion.
Many safe and happy miles for you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I don't understand how they couldn't be used for fulltiming. To me that's ridiculous. We're short two months of fulltiming in ours and it's just fine. I sure would like to know why they would think it wouldn't work out.
Our 2002 DSDP specifically says in the owners manual that it's not rated for full time use.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #21

Just for weekends or what?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #22

I hate to say it or bust anybodys bubble, but for the price of the Ventana's, I'd go for a good used Essex or a Mountainaire. Lot of coach for the price.. Look at them before you decide.'08s are going for under 3. Keep the Essex for a couple of years and then flip it for about what you paid for it.

Only thing keeping me from buying a new Essex, is I know as soon as I drive it off the lot I've lost close to 200 grand and a year of running the bugs out. Can't do it.

(Also, the $44,000 sales tax and 14,000/year per prop tax.) OUCH
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #23

Smile

Thank you to everyone who commented on my questions. When the time comes we plan on getting a Dutch Star, floor plan 4346.

Sue
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our 2002 DSDP specifically says in the owners manual that it's not rated for full time use.
Forgot: Our 2000 DSDP said the same thing too.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I hate to say it or bust anybodys bubble, but for the price of the Ventana's, I'd go for a good used Essex or a Mountainaire. Lot of coach for the price.. Look at them before you decide.'08s are going for under 3. Keep the Essex for a couple of years and then flip it for about what you paid for it.

Only thing keeping me from buying a new Essex, is I know as soon as I drive it off the lot I've lost close to 200 grand and a year of running the bugs out. Can't do it.

(Also, the $44,000 sales tax and 14,000/year per prop tax.) OUCH
We've been looking at used Essex's too, the last one was a 2006 but it had that funny half round dinette setup and needed new tires. The dealer said they could take care of all that but I just put new tires and Alcoa wheels on our DSDP, new TV's, new slideout awnings, new engine and house batteries, etc so I guess we'll keep it for a while longer.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
SueMac:

We full time out of Parkston (S. of Mitchell) and I can't tell from the thread whether you'll be full timing or not, but, if you plan to spend alot of time traveling around, DO, for sure, consider a rig with a tag axle. You'll likely regret not having a tag axle unit when you discover you'd really appreciate having a reasonable amount of additional carrying capacity, and.....the handling is definitely more comfortable.

Steve & Lynette
Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
Our 2010 manual says the same thing for our DSDP. Not intended for full time or commercial use. I think they do that to potentially limit their warranty exposure.
KBolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #28

Smile

We are going back to full time (Yippee!). And we'll base out of Rapid City/Hart Ranch. We'll be in the area when not traveling since we have a lot of friends here and are quite active in our church. We'll use America's Mailbox for our mail forwarding as well.

We definitely want a tag axle! Our previous Class A was a 43' Tag Country Coach Allure, so we understand the weight/carrying capacity/drivability etc. The CC was easy to drive and we sure could feel the stability of it when loaded. But I have to say, the Dutch Star we drove last week was miles a head of the CC. That Comfort Drive sold us! We had looked at other brands and liked other floor plans better, but like I read elsewhere...once you drive a rig with the Comfort Drive you won't want anything else.

When we get to do this we've decided on a 43' Dutch Star, floor plan 4346 with the tag.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote

« Recall | mechanic »