RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #1

Difference in driving a DSDP 40' VS DSDP 37'

I recently test drove a VLDP 40'(single rear axel) and then climbed immediately into a DSDP 43' and test drove that. I am coming from owning 2 previous gas class A units.

When I drove the VLDP I was very impressed with how much nicer the drive was versus my gassers. I know comfort drive, diesel engine in the rear, and air bags have a lot to do with this. I was quite pleased with the ride and thought "this will be a really nice upgrade." But then,,,,,,,, I drove the 43' tag DSDP and,,,,, oh boy. I was blown away by how much nicer the DSDP was. It was so quiet and smooth compared to the VLDP, it didn't feel like a step up, it felt like a bunch of steps up!

We are considering a 37'' DSDP but there aren't any close by to test drive. I know the engine is the same on the 37' as the longer DSDP's, they all have IFS, I believe the tires on the 37'
DSDP are smaller than on the longer models and obviously the 37' is not a tag with passive steer.

I am very interested to hear driving impressions from anyone who has owned or driven both the 37' DSDP and the 40' DSDP. A while back someone told me to be careful with shorter Diesel Pushers because the heavy engine in the back makes for a rough ride on a shorter coach without a tag.

Thanks to all who can share insights on this.

Gonna_Wander is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I can assure you that the tag axle makes a big difference in the stability of the coach. Before we bought our DSDP 4018 we test drove the 37" Ventana (unfortunately they didn't have a Dutch Star shorter than 40". The day of our test drive we had an incredible storm go through the phoenix area. The Ventana without the tag handled the winds quite well, mainly because of the Comfort Drive. When we drove the 4018 that very same day it was like night and day. The tag and the weight of the Dutch Star made all the difference.

Since then I've driven our DSDP through many storms and am very happy with its performance.

The shorter DSDP has certainly better acceleration and hill climbing capability. Also consider resale value. Most folks are looking for the larger units.

We went through the same thought process and finally settled on the DSDP 4018.

Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
A while back someone told me to be careful with shorter Diesel Pushers because the heavy engine in the back makes for a rough ride on a shorter coach without a tag.
Not so sure it has anything to do with the "heavy engine". Weight is your friend for a smother ride. More the fact that the shorter wheel base will always be a rougher ride. Longer wheel base from front axle to the drive axle in the 40 over the 37 would ride better even if the 40 didn't have a tag. Longer the wheel base the smother the ride. Now the tag over no tag, as Carefree said, night & day.

ALSO - IF YOU DROVE A 2017 43' Dutch Star then the front tires were 365s & not the same on the 40 or 37 Dutch Stars. The 365s are the same front tires as on the Mountain Aire, London Aire & Essex. The 40 & 37 Dutch Stars are smaller front tires & these 365's are giving you an amazing ride and will be a noticeable difference on 40 or 37. Bigger tires absorb road noise & bumps better.

We just ordered a 4369 & have been looking hard for the last year at Dutch Stars. I have driven both the 2016 & 2017 43 Dutch Star within the last 2 months back to back in the same day. The 2016 has the smaller tires on the front (same ones on the 40 & 37) vs the 365s on the 2017 43'... 365s are night & day difference in ride just on the 43' alone.

So when you say you drove a 43' Dutch Star and if it was a 2017, you are misleading yourself in ride just on the bigger tires on the front axle alone.

With all that said...yest I have also driven the 40' Dutch Stars & I can tell you that the 40' ride very nice even with the smaller tires. I did find the 40 to be just a little quicker as it is the same motor on a slightly lighter coach.But I did find it to be just a little noisier ride & felt more road bumps in the front end but nothing that would stop me from buying the 40.

If you are thinking 37 or 40, then from a ride quality, the 40 is the way to go. You will never be unhappy with a tag. But if 37 is where you want to stay, then you need to go out of your way to drive both the 37 & 40 back to back before you spend this kind of money. Take them both for a good 20 minute ride & find local roads for 60% of the test drive as they all ride better on highways.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
Not so sure it has anything to do with the "heavy engine". Weight is your friend for a smother ride. More the fact that the shorter wheel base will always be a rougher ride. Longer wheel base from front axle to the drive axle in the 40 over the 37 would ride better even if the 40 didn't have a tag. Longer the wheel base the smother the ride. Now the tag over no tag, as Carefree said, night & day.

ALSO - IF YOU DROVE A 2017 43' Dutch Star then the front tires were 365s & not the same on the 40 or 37 Dutch Stars. The 365s are the same front tires as on the Mountain Aire, London Aire & Essex. The 40 & 37 Dutch Stars are smaller front tires & these 365's are giving you an amazing ride and will be a noticeable difference on 40 or 37. Bigger tires absorb road noise & bumps better.

We just ordered a 4369 & have been looking hard for the last year at Dutch Stars. I have driven both the 2016 & 2017 43 Dutch Star within the last 2 months back to back in the same day. The 2016 has the smaller tires on the front (same ones on the 40 & 37) vs the 365s on the 2017 43'... 365s are night & day difference in ride just on the 43' alone.

So when you say you drove a 43' Dutch Star and if it was a 2017, you are misleading yourself in ride just on the bigger tires on the front axle alone.

With all that said...yest I have also driven the 40' Dutch Stars & I can tell you that the 40' ride very nice even with the smaller tires. I did find the 40 to be just a little quicker as it is the same motor on a slightly lighter coach.But I did find it to be just a little noisier ride & felt more road bumps in the front end but nothing that would stop me from buying the 40.

If you are thinking 37 or 40, then from a ride quality, the 40 is the way to go. You will never be unhappy with a tag. But if 37 is where you want to stay, then you need to go out of your way to drive both the 37 & 40 back to back before you spend this kind of money. Take them both for a good 20 minute ride & find local roads for 60% of the test drive as they all ride better on highways.
StuartS thanks so much for the detailed reply, it is very helpful. I did not know about the DS 43's having larger front tires. Is it possible to get the larger tires on a 40ft model? I'm guessing not but thought I would ask.

The wheel base on DS 37ft are only 10 inches less than on the 40ft models, but many have said the tag makes a huge difference.

Still interested to hear from DSDP 37ft owners on their experience with ride quality. There are no 37ft DSDP's near me, so a plane ride will be in order to compare a 37 with a 40.
Gonna_Wander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Is it possible to get the larger tires on a 40ft model? I'm guessing not but thought I would ask.

The wheel base on DS 37ft are only 10 inches less than on the 40ft models, but many have said the tag makes a huge difference.

No - bigger tires are only on the 43' so far.

& YES just the 10" difference would make a big difference in ride even if the 40 didn't have a tag.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

All things being equal, it is a given that the longer a diesel coach, the better it handles. Then when you add the tag axle, the stability is increased even further.

However, that isn't the total picture. A shorter motorhome can be more nimble, turn a tighter turn, get into sites that possibly would be difficult in a longer motorhome.

In our case, we had a 41' motorhome which we loved, but as my wife and I are rapidly reaching the age of 80 we figured a couple of years ago that we wanted to downsize. I had found myself worrying more than in the past about whether I could get in or out of a site, or a tight spot. We downsized to a 34' diesel Newmar. It does not handle quite as well as the 41' motorhome in a cross wind, although it is definitely acceptable. But I find that I worry much less about fitting in tight spots. The shorter motorhome has a sharper cut angle of the front wheels. This and the shorter length mean that it is much easier to fit in spaces that would have been very tight for the larger motorhome that we had. Just something to think about in making your decision.

Ed Headington
34' Ventana LE
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #7

We've had our 2016 Dutchstar 3736 for a year and have driven it for 18,000 miles from Florida to Idaho and many places in between pulling a toad at times and for 8,000 miles a 29 ft long and 12'6" high trailer. Many miles of serious 20+ mph cross winds.

This is the only DP that we have owned or driven. I feel it does an excellent job of handling winds and various road conditions. I am somewhat disappointed in what I consider a "harsh" ride being that it has air suspension. I do like the fact it is shorter and thus more maneuverable, which has come in handy a few times.
Johngflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We have the 2014 Dutch Star 3736, have put 24k miles on it and love the drive , handling and power.
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
A longer wheelbase, heavier coach will always drive better than a shorter lighter one. Add to this a tag axle and it gets even better. The only time shorter is better is when maneuvering or parking in tight quarters. At all other times, longer is better.

I thought my 40 foot, non-tag coach drove well, until I got my 45 foot tag-axle coach. It is good that I didn't know any better. I now know that the 45 is night and day better to drive.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #10

I agree with Marc. I went from a gas rig on a Ford chassis to a 37' Beaver which was a huge difference in handling on the road. Suddenly when a big rig passes you don't feel much and cross winds are less stressful. Then going to a 43' tandem was again a huge difference. Now cross winds are even more less stressful. Ride and handling on the road is all about weight and wheel base. I test drove a 2016 DS 4369 which had the undersized front axle and honestly can't say it felt any different than my Entegra.

The poster that claims the 2017 DS equipped with the heavier weight rated front axle with 365 tires rides better because of the wider tires may be somewhat mislead. Those tires can carry the weight with less air pressure than the 315 tires that needed 130 psi and were overloaded. So I believe that the psi difference accounts for the better ride not necessarily the tire width.

I chose the 43 over the 45 to have a slight edge in tight maneuverability. It has a two foot shorter wheel base.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote