RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Digital Cable TV channels only on 1 of 4 TV's

I'm at a CG that has digital cable. OTA antenna is off, TV's set to cable, not antenna, scanned. Televator TV gets the channels fine, looks great. Other 3 TV's have zero channels detected. I tried changing the coax just for grins, no change.

Any ideas?

I have new 4K splitters coming in case the splitters Newmar used are not jiving with digital cable, as a test.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I'm at a CG that has digital cable. OTA antenna is off, TV's set to cable, not antenna, scanned. Televator TV gets the channels fine, looks great. Other 3 TV's have zero channels detected. I tried changing the coax just for grins, no change.

Any ideas?

I have new 4K splitters coming in case the splitters Newmar used are not jiving with digital cable, as a test.

Try unplugging the other tvís, wait a minute or two and plug back in. I find with electronics that if they are not responding this allows the Software to reset.

PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #3

Post #13 of this thread is the problem I was having. Unterminated splitter outputs will cause similar problems

Cable TV problem
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:09 PM   #4

Neal,
You said you scanned, but iím thinking you might have to scan all TVs individually to get the cable to come in. I havenít camped at a park yet where they had cable so I caní say on my current 2016 Ventana. On my previous Baystar I definitely had to scan all TVs individually to get the cable to come in on all TVs.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks! I'll track this down this week while I'm here. I have new/better splitters coming and also a 10 pack of terminators to properly terminate unused connections as I saw in the bay forward of the pegboard a 1 to 4 with 1 not in use. We'll see how this works and also try power cycling as suggested.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcG View Post
Neal,
You said you scanned, but iím thinking you might have to scan all TVs individually to get the cable to come in. I havenít camped at a park yet where they had cable so I caní say on my current 2016 Ventana. On my previous Baystar I definitely had to scan all TVs individually to get the cable to come in on all TVs.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
I'm pretty sure you do have to scan each TV individually. Just scanning one only sets up that TV.

TJ
Old 06-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, I scanned each TV one at a time, not at the same time even. No luck. Only the Televator TV gets the channels. They are all up to date firmware wise as well.

Anyone wanting terminators to put on your unused splitter connections here is what I got:

https://amzn.to/2K6axJC
Old 06-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I cycled power on the bedroom TV and it worked. Iíll try the other TVs tomorrow. Thanks!!
Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I cannot prove it except for my use, but satellite stores sell splitters for DTV and Dish. Those splitter seem to be well made and up to the UHD task. I use them. DTV also has waterproof caps for the unused positions of the splitters and ground blocks if multiple ports. I don't know what NM uses, and then I got to find them all and change them. I will add this to my check this when time list.
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I cycled power on the bedroom TV and it worked. Iíll try the other TVs tomorrow. Thanks!!

Youíre Welcome!
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #11
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It picked up the channels but they are garbled. Will install new splitters and terminators where needed and see if that improves anything. Progress....
Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #12
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I think I'm on to something. I got the new splitters in and also the terminators. I pulled the 1 to 4 (which only uses 3) splitter from the bay forward of the pegboard and replaced it with the new one from Amazon. Take a look at the silver splitter in the attached picture and the gold one which is the new one, pay attention to the frequency range.

After replacing the splitter my bedroom TV went crystal clear from unusable. Rescanned and picked up all of the channels. I wasn't sure what I put in under the kitchen sink, back wall when I recently changed that so I changed it again, the one I recently put in has the full range frequency spectrum so it was fine but I put in the new just in case. Televator still not great, external gets hardly anything, front TV poor.

The gist is it appears Newmar is using outdated splitters that won't work with digital cable. I've rarely seen digital cable so I'm not worried and I use OTA and DISH but if it's the future, I'd like to make sure my coach supports it.

The coax connection in the shore power bay takes a turn aft of the coach. I'm not sure where that beige coax is going. It may be behind the pegboard which I have no intention of pulling to trace it. But I have a feeling that's going to an outdated splitter which is problem 1. There is no beige coax in the bay forward of the pegboard so that's being split off from wherever the beige coax is leading. Anyone know where the shore power coax connection goes?

I'm not a fan of pulling the bedroom TV to see what's behind it as I'm not sure about the cable run. I'll look behind the front of the coach TV and see what's splitting in there, I know there is at least one splitter because I installed it to get a coax run for the FM stereo to use OTA as an antenna option.

So as I stated somewhere else, where are the splitters? Have to track those down as I think they are the cause of the main problems with coax and OTA signals.

Here is the new splitter I'm using: https://amzn.to/2MNYJxw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0375.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	249423   Click image for larger version

Name:	new-splitter.png
Views:	5
Size:	1,020.8 KB
ID:	249424  

Old 06-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #13
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The quality of the digital coax on my bedroom TV is amazing. On par with DISH, must be 4K or near. Never seen coax this good. I sent Newmar an email requesting a wiring diagram of the coax in my coach, we'll see if they have it so I can trace all splitters. I'll get behind the front TV today to remove the splitter I installed there, I will wait to hear from Newmar but I may have to get behind the bedroom TV to see what's going on with coax there as there is a splitter I haven't found that comes from the shore power connection via a beige cable.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I have pulled the bedroom tv and there is no splitter in the 4369. Taking it down is easy.

1360W Solar, BattleBorn LiPo 800ah
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable