Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 05:07 AM   #1

Dinette alternatives

I'm really leaning towards the Bay Star 3401, but one thing that many (I have been showing coworkers, friends, etc. the floorplans I like so they can play Devil's advocate) have pointed out that is if I have company, the seating arrangement is a little awkward. I noticed there is a couple of options that involve chairs and even a free-standing table, but I cannot find any pics of what these set ups look like.

Does anyone have any of these options they'd care to share pics of? I'd kinda like to see the computer desk set up. Or is having easily moving furniture sort of a no-no in a moving house?
Allentc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
I'm really leaning towards the Bay Star 3401, but one thing that many (I have been showing coworkers, friends, etc. the floorplans I like so they can play Devil's advocate) have pointed out that is if I have company, the seating arrangement is a little awkward. I noticed there is a couple of options that involve chairs and even a free-standing table, but I cannot find any pics of what these set ups look like.

Does anyone have any of these options they'd care to share pics of? I'd kinda like to see the computer desk set up. Or is having easily moving furniture sort of a no-no in a moving house?
Hi Allentc2,
Sorry no pic handy. We have the desk option and love it. Free standing table stores neatly and safely under the middle of the desk when stowed and on the road. It has a leaf so seating 6 when pulled out is possible but maybe a bit tight. 2 free standing chairs plus 2 free standing/matching folding chairs included.
When considering floor plans worry most about your needs 1st. I recall there is a RV philosophy out there that says plan to sleep 2, feed 4 and entertain 6. You can entertain 6 or more easily outside the RV. Your living/lifestyle needs come 1st. Guest accommodations come a bit further down the list IMHO.

Best of luck and safe travels!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

X2 on the free standing table and chairs.

The pic below may not help too much, as it only shows the table and 2 chairs. But the table can be puled out and moved easily, and has a leaf insert available. The chair next to the refer was replaced with an office chair for the DW (we added a throw rug with a bigger footprint for her to roll the chair around as needed). She does her finance work there. The top draw on that side of the desk is for a keyboard and mouse that can be hidden away until used. The lower cabinet can hold a printer and/or computer. In the corner of the desk, you can see the hole for routing cables up to the monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33117536_10215877518521294_3466733567940231168_n.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	211305  
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

JT,

How long and ide is the table with the leaf? Could another leaf be installed or to unstable not enough support? Thanks for sharing.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
JT,

How long and ide is the table with the leaf? Could another leaf be installed or to unstable not enough support? Thanks for sharing.
Only 1 leaf available and the table will only expand to fit one leaf.

Not near the coach, so I can't tell you how long, but it's comfortable with 4 chairs with the leaf added.

The DW often pulls the table out and makes an L-Shaped desk area, placing the table near the recliner, so she has a lot of room to work with.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #6

Thanks sounds good if you had 2 more chairs could people sit on the ends for games and cards, of course with the table rotated
Old 07-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Thanks sounds good if you had 2 more chairs could people sit on the ends for games and cards, of course with the table rotated
You could even move the table to be between the couch and recliners for out floor plan. There's so much room, and the free-standing table lends a lot of flexibility.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #8

Ok sold! were in. That was our choice but not first but it has grown on us due to flexibility.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #9

We ordered our Bounder with the Fleetwood credenza. It comes with two fixed chairs and two fold-able chairs. There is an extension that adds about a foot to the table surface.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #10

The desk/table option

It's probably dangerous posting photos of our coach's desk/table option because Newmar has probably changed things -- a lot since our 2008 KSDP3623 was made. But nevertheless, here are photos of that option in our coach.

Here it is in "desk" mode. The table is folded up against the wall here.

Name:	IMG_8345_6_7_Smooth 3-1080.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	211348

Our table came with two narrow leaves. Here it is with both leaves in, and the Newmar original two permanent chairs and two folding chairs. The folding chairs store under the bed in their own little spot. Yes, this sits 4, but it's kind of cramped.

Name:	IMG_8357_8_9_Smooth 3-1080.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	211349

This is how we use ours for just the two of us -- one leaf inserted, two chairs. Without any leaf, we feel the table is too short and cramped. But in our coach, in this configuration with one leaf inserted -- the outside table leg is on the floor -- not the slide. So when we bring the slides in, I remove that leaf so the table sits on the slide only.

Name:	IMG_8339_40_41_Smooth 3-1080.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	211350

And here's a shot of the printer/computer CPU space with roll-out shelf. I'm not showing it, but the top drawer opens and there's another roll-out shelf on it for either a keyboard, or laptop.

Name:	IMG_8348_49_50_Smooth 3-1080.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	211351

When I saw photos of this option I really wanted it. And we were lucky enough to find one in this used coach. At least on the used market, this desk/table option is VERY rare.

But as I suggested at the top of this post, you really need to check the Newmar brochure to see what the current one for your coach looks like. I'm sure it's different. This one is now 11 years old.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #11

We have that same desk/buffet/dining table with two leaves in our 2004 Mountain Aire 4016 (but on the curb side in the 4016). It is one of the best features in our coach and an option we specifically looked for before purchasing in 2016. It works great for the two of us and still works for four people. Love it!
Old 07-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We love the Dinette with roll top table so much, we ordered it in the new Ventana.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/vent...ns-355250.html
Post #6
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #13

2019 Dinettes

I also posted this info in the 2019 deliveries thread.

For 2019 DSDP's:

The chairs have definitely changed and table heights may have changed.

Chairs: They now sport matching ultra leather seats and complimentary fabric backs with wood tops.

Table heights: They appear to be slightly lower than 2018 based upon the relative gap between the hutch height and lower window edge. I apologize for not measuring the seat height, table top height and lower table edge from the floor. I have those for the 2018 models. This was moot information for DW and me as we've decided on the extended Euro Booth.

This may be important info for some people as I found that it was harder to get under a 2019 desk/dinette combo without smacking my thigh. The 2018 was not as restrictive but I also had problems not hitting my thigh on those dinettes. I suspect that it s a combination of having a slightly higher seat height and a slightly lower table height. For what it's worth, I recommend that all need to "slide-in" to the 2019 dinette of choice before ordering to ensure you fit without bruises.
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
It's probably dangerous posting photos of our coach's desk/table option because Newmar has probably changed things -- a lot since our 2008 KSDP3623 was made. But nevertheless, here are photos of that option in our coach.

Here it is in "desk" mode. The table is folded up against the wall here.

Attachment 211348

Our table came with two narrow leaves. Here it is with both leaves in, and the Newmar original two permanent chairs and two folding chairs. The folding chairs store under the bed in their own little spot. Yes, this sits 4, but it's kind of cramped.

Attachment 211349

This is how we use ours for just the two of us -- one leaf inserted, two chairs. Without any leaf, we feel the table is too short and cramped. But in our coach, in this configuration with one leaf inserted -- the outside table leg is on the floor -- not the slide. So when we bring the slides in, I remove that leaf so the table sits on the slide only.

Attachment 211350

And here's a shot of the printer/computer CPU space with roll-out shelf. I'm not showing it, but the top drawer opens and there's another roll-out shelf on it for either a keyboard, or laptop.

Attachment 211351

When I saw photos of this option I really wanted it. And we were lucky enough to find one in this used coach. At least on the used market, this desk/table option is VERY rare.

But as I suggested at the top of this post, you really need to check the Newmar brochure to see what the current one for your coach looks like. I'm sure it's different. This one is now 11 years old.

Jealous! That’s the setup we looked for. We still may add 2 base kitchen cabinets and a top to create a credenza . More room at the table is always good.