RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Good thoughts from all; thanks.

I think DSDon might have pointed me in the right direction by suggesting that we evaluate what we watch, or want to watch. I don't watch much TV except an occasional sports event; the DW likes her TV. Our sticks-and-bricks TV/Internet provider has a remote app that lets us stream most of our home programming. That would probably satisfy the DW as we watch have an iPad.

The wireless wi-if here at the resort is not great; sufficient for e-mail and little else. I have determined that our lot is wired for cable service, but it is not active. I can activate the TV or internet (or both) on a month-by-month basis through a local provider: $50 for internet, $75 for mid-level TV or $100 for a "package." That would resolve a lot of the issue when we are here in Montana, but would do nothing for us on-the-road.

The cost of cable TV/Internet is not a problem, but not sure how I would hook up the cable internet to work with the WiFiRanger wireless setup in the coach. Modem and wireless router? Where would I tap the cable input inside the coach for the model and router? Got some research to do before pulling the trigger on this option.

We do have Verizon service on our phones and good coverage here in Montana, at least. And, we could upgrade our 4GB data plan to something more robust for when we're on the road.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. Still need to ponder this a bit.

TJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
In doing some more research, I ran across the Sky 4 LTE option for the WiFiRanger unit installed in our 2018 MADP. Is anyone familiar with this device, or has anyone used one?

As I understand it, the LTE modem connects to our cell service (we have Verizon) and creates a dedicated Internet hotspot. The cost of increasing our Verizon data plan to "unlimited" would be less than having dedicated cable Internet...and, it work for us on the road too.

Thoughts?

TJ

Old 04-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Good thoughts from all; thanks.

I think DSDon might have pointed me in the right direction by suggesting that we evaluate what we watch, or want to watch. I don't watch much TV except an occasional sports event; the DW likes her TV. Our sticks-and-bricks TV/Internet provider has a remote app that lets us stream most of our home programming. That would probably satisfy the DW as we watch have an iPad.

The wireless wi-if here at the resort is not great; sufficient for e-mail and little else. I have determined that our lot is wired for cable service, but it is not active. I can activate the TV or internet (or both) on a month-by-month basis through a local provider: $50 for internet, $75 for mid-level TV or $100 for a "package." That would resolve a lot of the issue when we are here in Montana, but would do nothing for us on-the-road.

The cost of cable TV/Internet is not a problem, but not sure how I would hook up the cable internet to work with the WiFiRanger wireless setup in the coach. Modem and wireless router? Where would I tap the cable input inside the coach for the model and router? Got some research to do before pulling the trigger on this option.

We do have Verizon service on our phones and good coverage here in Montana, at least. And, we could upgrade our 4GB data plan to something more robust for when we're on the road.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. Still need to ponder this a bit.

TJ

Considering your requirements (one of you likes to watch TV), I would consider the DISH Network Pay-As-You-Go plan.
https://www.dish.com/programming/pac...pay-as-you-go/
For about $85/month you get a reasonable number of channels. Equipment (a Winegard Pathway X2 portable and a Wally Receiver (you will own them ... it's not a lease)) will cost about $550. I used that combo for about 3 years before we decided we didn't like TV ... no issues with DISH or the hardware. The Pathway is portable and generally can be placed in a clear space that avoids issues with trees and other obstacles.
https://www.dishformyrv.com/1-receiver-bundles/

BTW, for my "sports fix" I head off to the neighborhood sports bar for wings/beer/football ... cheaper than the sports network and nobody makes me wash dishes.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:11 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Considering your requirements (one of you likes to watch TV), I would consider the DISH Network Pay-As-You-Go plan.
https://www.dish.com/programming/pac...pay-as-you-go/
For about $85/month you get a reasonable number of channels. Equipment (a Winegard Pathway X2 portable and a Wally Receiver (you will own them ... it's not a lease)) will cost about $550. I used that combo for about 3 years before we decided we didn't like TV ... no issues with DISH or the hardware. The Pathway is portable and generally can be placed in a clear space that avoids issues with trees and other obstacles.
https://www.dishformyrv.com/1-receiver-bundles/
Thanks for the links, Bruce.

What is the difference between the various Winegard, King and DISH portable antennas? Winegard seems to have the Pathway, Tailgator, Playmaker, etc. KING has a couple of different model as does DISH. Too much information! What does the more expensive Pathway get you that the Tailgator or Playmaker doesn't? Inquiring minds are curious.

BTW, we are leaning toward your suggestion of the Pathway X2; just interested in knowing if other brands/models are better, worse, etc.

Oh, and I did talk to WiFiRanger today and got some useful information from them. Especially useful was the tech's tutorial on how to tweak our existing system to get better Wi-Fi performance (use SkyPro instead of core was one).
The Sky 4 LTE option may or may not be something I am interested in later on.

TJ
Old 04-26-2019, 04:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for the links, Bruce.

What is the difference between the various Winegard, King and DISH portable antennas? Winegard seems to have the Pathway, Tailgator, Playmaker, etc. KING has a couple of different model as does DISH. Too much information! What does the more expensive Pathway get you that the Tailgator or Playmaker doesn't? Inquiring minds are curious.

BTW, we are leaning toward your suggestion of the Pathway X2; just interested in knowing if other brands/models are better, worse, etc.

Oh, and I did talk to WiFiRanger today and got some useful information from them. Especially useful was the tech's tutorial on how to tweak our existing system to get better Wi-Fi performance (use SkyPro instead of core was one).
The Sky 4 LTE option may or may not be something I am interested in later on.

TJ

They are all good but the X2 has a larger dish and works on both east and west arcs (it's more friendly to use across the country).
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
Old 04-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
They are all good but the X2 has a larger dish and works on both east and west arcs (it's more friendly to use across the country).
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
Thanks, Bruce. My ol' noggin I about to burst with all the new stuff I've been cramming into it lately!

I think it is down to choice between the Winegard Pathway X2 and the King Tailgator DT4900 (wich is also a dual-arc setup). The X2 gets good reviews and apparently has a slightly larger dish which should translate into a bit more gain (my ham radio background helps with this aspect). It is larger and heavier than the DT 4900, so I need to evaluate potential storage areas.

The DT4900 also seems to get equally good reviews and is priced within a few dollars of the X2 (on Amazon). I don't know if the slightly smaller dish dimensions will make a lot of difference in the gain, but I guess it could. The big plus for the DT 4900 is its smaller physical size as it would be easier to find a storage space for it.

One potential influence on my choice is customer service. I have heard that Winegard has a toll-free customer service line and King does not. I will be investigating that before pulling the trigger.

I concur with the choice of the mid-level ($85 +/-) DISH Network package. That seems to fit our needs...except that none of the DISH packages seem to offer ROOT sports; the carrier of Seattle Mariners games. Then, again, with their "rebuilding years" underway, watching the Mariners is sometimes like watching paint dry!

TJ
Old 04-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Thanks, Bruce. My ol' noggin I about to burst with all the new stuff I've been cramming into it lately!

I think it is down to choice between the Winegard Pathway X2 and the King Tailgator DT4900 (wich is also a dual-arc setup). The X2 gets good reviews and apparently has a slightly larger dish which should translate into a bit more gain (my ham radio background helps with this aspect). It is larger and heavier than the DT 4900, so I need to evaluate potential storage areas.

The DT4900 also seems to get equally good reviews and is priced within a few dollars of the X2 (on Amazon). I don't know if the slightly smaller dish dimensions will make a lot of difference in the gain, but I guess it could. The big plus for the DT 4900 is its smaller physical size as it would be easier to find a storage space for it.

One potential influence on my choice is customer service. I have heard that Winegard has a toll-free customer service line and King does not. I will be investigating that before pulling the trigger.

I concur with the choice of the mid-level ($85 +/-) DISH Network package. That seems to fit our needs...except that none of the DISH packages seem to offer ROOT sports; the carrier of Seattle Mariners games. Then, again, with their "rebuilding years" underway, watching the Mariners is sometimes like watching paint dry!

TJ

You probably can't go wrong with either. FWIW, I carried the X2 in the toad because it was the easiest thing to do. A few minutes to unload from the toad and set up ... eazy peezie,
Old 05-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Follow-up

Bit the bullet today and ordered a King Tailgator DTP4950 package with one receiver through Amazon. It was on sale at $439 and change ($10 off regular price). Should be here Monday. Talked with Dish about channel packages and have one picked out that will meet our needs. I will activate it next week when the portable DTP 4950 package arrives.

Thanks for all the suggestions and insight.

TJ
Old 05-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #23

Couple things Jim, read the fine print on those "unlimited" data plans as most the time they throttle you back from 4g to 3G when you hit 25 gigabytes in a month. Can't stream much on 3G.

You may be able to be your Mariners on the WatchEspn app on your phone or computer. But that can use 4G data if no good internet.

I have the Wineguard X2 and a older Dish 211 and I can put the OTA channels on my Dish guide. I think for the Wally you need an adapter to hook your OTA antennae into it.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #24

We have cut the cord for both cable and satellite. A couple of years ago, we went with 1gb internet at home, 32GB on the road, and DirectTV Now. We bought  TVs for home and on the road. They have the major networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, etc).

The plan we chose on DirectTV Now has many more channels than we will ever use, and costs $60 a month plus only sales tax. Our wireless service costs

There are several services that compete with DirectTV now, such as Hulu, etc., but I don't know much about them. Several boxes compete with  TV such as the prime stick, ROKU, etc., but I don't know much about them either.

As long as you have internet, you have pretty capable TV. If you have Amazon Prime service, it also has abundant things to watch. We also have Netflix. Both of those work without DirecTV Now, of course. DirecTV Now has recording of shows in beta, and it seems to be working pretty well.

All of these things together cost far less than either Dish or DirecTV, after they add all the hidden costs.

Our thought was that when we are in a place that doesn't have internet, we probably don't want to be watching too much tv anyway.
WallyRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #25

Also, if you can tether to your phone or to a cellular Wifi such as Wifi Ranger Sky Pro LTE or other MIFI, if you have if you don't have wifi range.

WallyRover is offline   Reply With Quote