Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

Direct TV Help!!!

I live near Springfield Ma. and have a 2016 Ventana. I had a factory installed SK300 and a dealer installed Winegard T4 in motion satellite. Since delivery the in motion satellite worked only when stationary but as soon as we move it cuts out and will not reconnect and loses the satellite signal. We have worked with two dealers, Wingard and even replaced the T4 and no one can figure out why it cuts out when in motion. The voltage has been checked, the dish repalced and we are pulling our hair out. So here are my questions:

1. Any suggestions as to what may be going on?
2. Can you recommend a company or dealer etc, preferable in New England but will travel with in reason, that specializes in RV Electronics and Direct TV Installs.
3. What Direct TV boxes are you using in your coach? Mine are so big they just aren't practical in the electronics cabinet.

I have called Direct TV but they are useless when it comes to RVs. They will not work in any RV and if they come to your house or RV, it is up to the tech as to whether or not he or she will work on your RV.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated. If you happen to live in New England and know about Direct TV sets ups and wiring, I'll come to you!
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk2 View Post
I live near Springfield Ma. and have a 2016 Ventana. I had a factory installed SK300 and a dealer installed Winegard T4 in motion satellite. Since delivery the in motion satellite worked only when stationary but as soon as we move it cuts out and will not reconnect and loses the satellite signal. We have worked with two dealers, Wingard and even replaced the T4 and no one can figure out why it cuts out when in motion. The voltage has been checked, the dish repalced and we are pulling our hair out. So here are my questions:

1. Any suggestions as to what may be going on?
2. Can you recommend a company or dealer etc, preferable in New England but will travel with in reason, that specializes in RV Electronics and Direct TV Installs.
3. What Direct TV boxes are you using in your coach? Mine are so big they just aren't practical in the electronics cabinet.

I have called Direct TV but they are useless when it comes to RVs. They will not work in any RV and if they come to your house or RV, it is up to the tech as to whether or not he or she will work on your RV.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated. If you happen to live in New England and know about Direct TV sets ups and wiring, I'll come to you!
Hi snowhawk2! I'm not a technician or know anything about it, but my cousin had the motion system and it was doing similar. After pulling hair out, a Winegard tech said the unit may be setup for "stationary" rather than "in-motion". They checked the settings and sure enough that was the issue. They reset it for in-motion and it worked perfectly. I would hope your Winegard folks know whether your unit can be switched, but it may be worth asking someone at Winegard that you feel will give you the correct answer.
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
Hi snowhawk2! I'm not a technician or know anything about it, but my cousin had the motion system and it was doing similar. After pulling hair out, a Winegard tech said the unit may be setup for "stationary" rather than "in-motion". They checked the settings and sure enough that was the issue. They reset it for in-motion and it worked perfectly. I would hope your Winegard folks know whether your unit can be switched, but it may be worth asking someone at Winegard that you feel will give you the correct answer.
Thank you. They said the confirmed that it was an in motion unit based on the model number but your tip is worth following up on. This past weekend I told my wife that it is just behaving like a non in motion satellite so I'm on board with your theory. I'll look into it. Thanks.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote