RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

Directv H24/HR24 receivers not communicating with Trav'ler

When I turn on my Directv television I get the message that "receiver cannot communicate with dish". This happens on both the living room receiver and the bedroom receiver.
I have been up on the roof checking all the cable connections at the Trav'ler dish and everything seemed tight and solid.
I can check cable connections at each receiver and the wall connections in the bedroom under one of the clothes closets. But trying to check anything else in the cabinet over the driver's seat is a real mystery to me. As the dealer's technician said while installing both receivers "that area over the driver's seat is a real rat's nest of wires and cables".

Is anyone really familiar with all the 2015 DS (maybe lots of others are the same) TV hookups that could affect both receivers/tvs where I should be looking for a problem with the connections. On my 2004 I knew where everything was, but not so with this Dutch Star.

We took a short trip the first couple weeks of May and everything worked fine during that time.

Any help, suggestions, or advice will be greatly accepted.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is your dish locked on all three sats? I get a similar message before the dish finds the sats.

Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:54 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
2 things:

1. If the dish has not been set up and locked on FIRST.

2. The HR needs to be reset by opening the front flap and holding the RED RESET button down.

This is a LONG process, but will reinitiate the comms.

The problem comes from the box and dish (with the SWM unit) being powered off and out of sync.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:39 PM   #4

The Winegard roof mounted Trav'ler has locked onto all 3 satellites, according to the control box.
Then the TV and receiver was turned on but claimed couldn't communicate with dish.
Tried the red reset button a couple of times waiting for the long long process to complete.
Instructions say to check all connections, or call Directv (which will be a waste of breath from my previous experience).
Trying to find where all the rest of the connections are in order to check them.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
We had to use the app to refresh the signal, once, when we hadnít used our DTV for a while.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have you checked the power supply to the swm? Both receivers losing signal sounds like it could be a swm issue.
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I had this issue, the short cable between the sat body and LNB (cable runs through the center of the LNB arm) went bad. You can replace it with any short coax cable (about 36"), but I elected to buy the cable from Winegard...I think it was $35.00. Call Winegard, they can diagnose the issue for you.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Turn off the Winegard amplifier for the OTA antenna, things should work after that.
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:22 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I am working an issue with Winegard now for our CS. We will lock on sats, get good signal, and then we can hear the antenna rotate out of lock. we get the 771 loss of signal banner on the tv. After a min or so the unit rotates back, re-acquires signal and all is good till the next time. No rhyme or reason to the rotation, no set frequency of occurrences. I have re booted receivers multiple times, done signal strength tests, and have not been able to resolve. trying to get an answer before we head to factory for service in Sept so they can replace if needed when we are there.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allen....I misread your post and my suggestion is probably not the issue. One thing I would try though. Take a 3/8" or 7/16" (brain farting on size) wrench on the roof. Loosen the coax connectors on the sat base a half turn and then snug them back up. If there is an exposed splitter, like my 2014, do the same with those connections. Sometimes they get some condensation, dry out and then make for a bad connection.

Another test is to run a cable from the sat base to the receiver, through a window, and see if that resolves your issue. If so, you have an issue within the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #11

Before wasting your time go to setup. Go completely thru the setup procedure. Be sure the dish type selected is correct.
My guess is your coax, the short one under the turret from the board to the union is bad.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dutch star Don is correct. I have to do this at the splitter near the swm power injector every so often. Easy fix.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #13

Directv H24/HR24 receivers not communicating with Trav'ler

Agree with Dutch Star Don and rebaron73. Sounds like the cable on the roof between Turret and transponder. Same happened to me.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #14

Thanks Don, and the rest who agrees with him. As soon as the outside temps get back down below 90 degrees and the roof is shaded I'll crawl back up there with my wrench. Previously checked the connections but only for tightness with fingers.

I have gone through the set-up procedure a couple of times but that doesn't help any. Just hope it is the connections up there, certainly the simplest to rectify.

Oh, I did unplug/replug up the SWM switch in the overhead compartment, no help. Indicator light went off when unpluged and lights back up as soon as the cord is plugged back in. That was one suggestion on the screen from Directv.

Tags
cat, directv