Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2002, 04:34 PM   #1

had service at cummins in rialto, ca and could not believe the filthy condition they got the inside of my kountrystar motorhome. the step carpet had to be discarded because of the grease. the engine hatch was loose and apparently they ran the engine with the cover open so the inside had a thick layer of greasy dirt all over. they tore off the insulation on the bedroom windows. it will be a long time before they get my business again. how do you handle dirty service facilities?
tinktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2002, 04:34 PM   #2

had service at cummins in rialto, ca and could not believe the filthy condition they got the inside of my kountrystar motorhome. the step carpet had to be discarded because of the grease. the engine hatch was loose and apparently they ran the engine with the cover open so the inside had a thick layer of greasy dirt all over. they tore off the insulation on the bedroom windows. it will be a long time before they get my business again. how do you handle dirty service facilities?
Old 10-31-2002, 02:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
One of our members, Dr. Dave, brought his Dutch Star with the light cream carpeting to the dealer to have it serviced. He also was subjected to much the same treatment, greasy footprints up and back through the motorhome.

He told me of this fiasco and that he also had to clean the mess.

Wouldn't you think that these guys would respect your home by taking the time to protect your investment from deliberate damage? Getting the good dealers to do work on the motorhome is in fact a rare find. You should find a cleaning service and have your rugs professionally cleaned and send them the bill.

01 Winnebago/Workhorse Model 37G/W20 Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"
8 8
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:37 PM   #4

Similar situation, took MH to Freightliner and when I went to check on it there was a big black grease smear on the white dash. Looked like some one had it on their behind and when turned around wiped it off on the dash. Considering you couldn't miss it when you went in or when you were walking from the back to the front I was amazed to find it there.

They weren't done with coach and I told them that when I came back to get it I didn't want or need the extra grease whey were apparently offering with service this week.

When I went back a couple of days later to pick up the coach everything was all nice and clean.

Take nothing but pictures
Leave nothing but footprints
Waste nothing but time

Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 04:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Glad to see you aboard Starship. I hope you have a good time here and we hope to see you back and posting often.

01 Winnebago/Workhorse Model 37G/W20 Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"
8 8
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:04 PM   #6

Hi Tinktom,

If it's not too far for you, I've had great luck with Cummins Cal Pacific in Ventura, Calif. They service Cummins engines, Onan generators, and the Spartan chassis. I've had my MADP there twice for general service (oil change, etc.). Each time it's come back to me in the same manner I gave it to them . . . clean.

However, I do a few things to minimize any damage before I leave the MH there, or anywhere. For one thing, I toss towels on the sofas and I stick the thin, clear, plastic, temporary runner material on all the carpeted areas. So far, it appears that my efforts have been unnecessary because there has never been any debris/dirt on the towels or runners, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Garth
2000 MADP 4092 ISC350
2000 CR-V Toad

Garth
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 07:42 AM   #7

thanks for the reminder about ventura cummins. i was there in 1996 and was impressed with clean facilities. I will drive out there for my next service. after 3 days of cleaning we are ready to put the bedroom back together. since the overheating was not fixed I have installed a 12 inch fan on the rear door to help extract the heat from the engine compartment. hope it helps?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:01 AM   #8

Wow I though I was the only one that this happend to. Look what Cummins in El Cajon Ca. did to my two week old MH.

San Diego
nobuggybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 Bob glad to have you aboard.
At least they could have put papers or sheets down to service your WH. Why was it neccessary to get into the dog house anyway?
When you find the time place your coach and chassis info place it in your signature profile block and it will stick with your posts. Enjoy the forums and post often. ALSO why not join with us and be a NEWMAR Forum member. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #10

That's a shame. I guess I've been lucky. The dealer I deal with RV Warehouse seem very carful in the manner, but I've had service in many others too without problem. One thing I do is stay with my coach for all service. Additionally I've had no mechanical issues to speak of short of the oil Pressure sensor going twice. The rest has just been regular type maintainance, oil changes, rad changes, etc.
Cleaning the carpets after such an incident is only a short term answer. The discoloring will return.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #11

tinktom and others that have experienced "dirty service". I too would have been just as upset. In fact, the Cummins service was one of the things we wanted to get back to after having a Cat in our last MH. It seemed that wherever we went to a Cat shop they truly would have rather been servicing a bulldozer or a road grader and the appearance/condition of their shop seemed to reflect exactly that.

Our previous experience with Cummins on the other hand has been nothing short of admirable and over the years with 2 different coaches with Cummins we have been at shops in Harrisburg; Philadelphia; Cleveland; El Paso; Jackson, MS; Knoxville; Fargo and Grand Forks, ND; and we never once experienced dirty issues such as you described.

As a reference have any of you tried the Cummins Coach Care facilities where they have certified RV techs. and at least 1 bay dedicated to we motorhomers. I for one find that service addresses a real need in the RV arena.

Last summer on our way to FMCA in Minot our front roof A/c decided it would only deliver hot air-not warm but, HOT. In transit I tried two RV dealers and got little more than a shrug of the shoulder. On Sat. I called Fargo Cummins and the call went to an answering service as they were closed for the weekend. I explained our problem and in 10 minutes got a return call from a Fargo Cummins on-call tech. He confirmed that they were closed for the weekend and he gave me driving instuctions and explained where I could plug in and that they would look at it first thing Monday morning. By 7:30 we already had a tech. climbing on the roof. A wrong part was overnighted and was reordered on Tues. and by noon on Wed. we were on our way.

They handled the part and labor as warranty with the A/C manufacturer and I had agreed to pay for the overnight shipping. When we did the paperwork they said they would argue with the A/C people for the shipping as it had been them who had sent the wrong part and caused us to lay over another day for which they were apologizing!

Would I go back there-you bet, Ken, '04 DSDP....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #12

Mine was sent there by the dealership just to get the daytime running lights to work, Sometimes they would work and sometimes not. Here are more pics of the grease

San Diego
Old 05-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #13

San Diego
Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #14

Those with both good and bad experiences please go to http://RVServiceReviews.com and record your experience. This is the only place on the internet where RV owners can document their RV service experiences. There are over 1050 reviews nationwide and in Canada.