Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #1

Angry Disappointed with 2013 Canyon Star purchase

I bought a new 2013 Canyon Star in May of 2013. In the first year it was in the shop for warranty repairs for a total of 7 mos. First, the levelers wouldn't level, the microwave was replaced 3 times for phantom running, the couch mechanism failed, the side molding was coming off, the shower wall was delaminating, the interior trim above the living room slide out was buckling out, the in motion satellite required a rewiring, I had broken mirror hinges in the bathroom, and several minor, yet extensive delays in getting parts and replacement. The engine battery was defective and replaced the first month I had it. I had to install a battery disconnect to keep it from going dead while in storage. There is a phantom draw that can't be located so a disconnect was recommended. I live in So. Cal so shipping shouldn't have been an issue. I store my coach in a climate controlled enclosed storage facility so it's not exposed to the elements. After just a couple of months, the house batteries go dead even though the battery disconnect is turned off while stored. I pay extra to the storage facility to start up my coach at least once a month to keep up with the batteries. I was just out this last week in So. Cal (hot temps) and I think 1 of the A/C units is not working. I used to get a 2 zone indicater on my thermostat and now only get 1. The front power visor and shade now won't go down and stop about 1/3 of the way. Also, my generator won't start and I'm looking at another trip to the repair garage and now it's out of warranty!!!! While the Newmar customer service was friendly and would check on the repair status frequently, we would tell them "it's still in the shop". Newmar was OK but no one offered o compensate me in any way for the 7 mos. it was in the shop. I still made those payments for those 7 mos but couldn't used my coach and missed several outings with my RV group. So, as I started, I'm very disappointed with my purchase and read in your forum how "Happy" everyone is with their selection of Newmar. I for one am not.
Bajaman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #2

So sorry about the problems with your coach. I'd be upset too. It wouldn't hurt to continue to talk with Newmar about the issues. Document the problems and time in the shop and keep after your dealer and Newmar.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Btw, do you have the ignition key on? That will prevent the front window power shade from going all the way down.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Did your warranty get extended by the time it was out for repairs? At least 7 months from the sounds of it.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I wonder if your state's lemon laws would apply?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bajaman98,
Not meaning to sound like misery loves company, but I had almost 200 warranty work item on my coach. Back in 05 (the real boom years) Newmar (and most all other coach manufacturers) were shipping coaches to dealers in kit form (not my words but dealer words). It took a good 3 years to get it put together correctly. If the floor plan and overall coach still work for you, get the issues correct. The coach will settle down and years of enjoyment are waiting for you.

None of this should have happened. But it did. I lived through it and you will too. Lastly, consider getting another repair facility or, if you can, take the coach to Nappanee. Consider changing repair facilities. All I've ever heard about California RV repair shops is negative. The current repair facility is not providing the speed of service you should be receiving.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #7

After one year of constant problems with my 2015 Canyon Star I gave up and sold it back to the dealer and gave them a very long warranty list of things that need to be repaired. I wasn't about to sell it to an unsuspecting buyer. Now Newmar can deal with it. Very disappointed in the quality and workmanship.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rodz,
Being in Michigan, I'm surprised you did not take the coach back to Newmar. Did you ever take the coach to Newmar?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I sympathies with what you are going through. I too have had 44 different issues in a span of two years in owning my 2012 Ventana. I am amazed when I read someone has had a coach for a year and has yet to have a problem. I continue to get things fixed and hope I am nearing the end for the "breakin" problems that most say come with owning a new motorhome. Not the quality I was expecting when I made my purchase but I am dealing with it.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #10

From all the horror stories I hear from people with new coaches, I now have a second reason for not buying a brand new coach.

* The first reason is the "ca ching" sound as you drive off the lot as it loses 20% of it's value as soon as you purchased it!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #11

FWIW at least part of your problems are not the manufacturer. All batteries have an internal leakage path as part of their chemistry. They run down over time. Some faster than others. When you put a vehicle with a lead based storage battery away without a trickle charger it will run down. Starting it once a month and idling it for a few minutes to a half hour does not put back as much power as it took to start it so over time you will run it down to where it will not start. Nothing broken or defective other than the practice of the storage company. 50% chance that is also the problem with your generator as it will not start because the house batteries are too low.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi rodz,
Being in Michigan, I'm surprised you did not take the coach back to Newmar. Did you ever take the coach to Newmar?
I tried. I sent letters and emails and left phone messages to Newmar customer service. When someone did contact me they acted like they didn't want to be bothered with my problems. I know it's not a million dollar mh, but is the most expensive gasser they make. It was an electrical nightmare with something breaking down every trip. Major problems, not little things.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW at least part of your problems are not the manufacturer. All batteries have an internal leakage path as part of their chemistry. They run down over time. Some faster than others. When you put a vehicle with a lead based storage battery away without a trickle charger it will run down. Starting it once a month and idling it for a few minutes to a half hour does not put back as much power as it took to start it so over time you will run it down to where it will not start. Nothing broken or defective other than the practice of the storage company. 50% chance that is also the problem with your generator as it will not start because the house batteries are too low.
If the op's electrical problems were anything like mine I sympothise with them. Mine could go from 13 volts to 9 volts in the time it took to stop for lunch. I came out of the restaurant and the voltage was so low I couldn't retract the step. I drove 200 miles with the step half way out. When I got home and plugged it in one of the house batteries blew up. There's obviously something wrong with the charger or something. I had to add water to the batteries every trip.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've always heard to never buy a new coach because it'll spend half it's time getting warranty work done. I believe that statement a lot more now.

Tags
purchase