Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #1

Disconnect chassis batteries or not?

I am storing my 2016 Dutch Star for a couple of months. I have turned off my 12 volt system in the control panel in front if the passenger seat. I am wondering if I should use the chassis battery disconnect switch also. I ask this because I have a small solar panel on the roof which I assume charges the chassis batteries. By turning off the chassis battery disconnect will I prevent the solar panel from charging the batteries?
Thanks for your words of wisdom....
Charlandpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Charlandpv,
Consider removing the negative terminal to the coach for the coach batteries. Leave the chassis battery alone. One could do the same for the chassis batteries, but it is not needed. The roof solar panel will maintain the chassis batteries in the condition they were in when you left the coach. It does not charge (or minimal charge) the chassis batteries.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:57 AM   #3

The last two winters we secured the chassis battery switch, turned the power of to the coach using the switch in the cabinet above the passenger seat and reduced the shore power charging rate to 15 amps. When returned 8 months and 4 months later every thing was exactly as it should be. I did put the chassis batteries on a battery tender for a couple of days just in case. I also Equalize the house batteries right away when they just come out of storage like that.
All the best to you,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

Unfortunately there is no shore power where I'm storing the coach. I'm assuming the sooar panel will maintain the charge in the batteries but I want to make sure I don't disable the solar panel by using the chassis battery disconnect switch....
Charlandpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Charlandpv,
Consider calling Newmar Customer Service.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis