Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

Discount off Factory Order Question

We are about to start negotiating with several dealers for the purchase of a factory ordered 2017 Dutch Star. Should we expect the same discount off of the cost of the factory specials that we want? In other words, are the prices the factory gives the dealer for special requests, MSRP prices?

Thanks!
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
In a nutshell, yes, that is what I received. Of course each negotiation is different, so YMMV.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
In a nutshell, yes, that is what I received. Of course each negotiation is different, so YMMV.
Of course. I just wanted to know if I should add the cost of the specials to the total of the build sheet prices and then negotiate.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes and you would also be wise to put out bids to multiple dealers. Sometimes it may be worth the drive or flight to purchase away from home depending where you live. Good luck in the purchase!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
Yes and you would also be wise to put out bids to multiple dealers. Sometimes it may be worth the drive or flight to purchase away from home depending where you live. Good luck in the purchase!
Thanks!
Old 11-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #6

I got the specials at dealer cost.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #7

My dealership also gave them to me at cost.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #8

We had bids from four dealers. Three of them treated the specials as a pure "pass through" from Newmar @ dealer costs. The forth dealer, marked the specials up and then reduced the price by the same % as the markup. The result of the way the fourth dealer figured the selling price was that it appears to be a larger % off MSRP.
ewlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #9

I requested quotes from 5 dealers for our 2017 Dutch Star without specials. The top three were within $1,000. I went with Midway RV Center in Grand Rapids, MI and the specials were priced at dealer cost.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Factory Specials ?

When you say " factory specials" could you give me an example of what you are talking about. I will be pricing a factory order this winter also.

ALSO does anyone have a ball park number "percent off list price" they will give you. If you are taking a factory delivery. Thanks
glester99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glester99 View Post
When you say " factory specials" could you give me an example of what you are talking about. I will be pricing a factory order this winter also.

ALSO does anyone have a ball park number "percent off list price" they will give you. If you are taking a factory delivery. Thanks
When you do a factory order (Vs. buying off dealer lot) you can change things and they are called "Specials". Specials cost less than you would think. For example, on our LADP we just ordered, we went with an Essex flooring, Essex counter tops, changed the back splash, added the Essex Navigation/radio plus passenger side slave nav, and changed exterior colors. We had 34 "specials". Even dealers will order specials on their floor units too. Midway does a lot with flooring and counter tops.

Your next question on % discount from MSRP is difficult to answer. How far are you willing to travel, are you taking factory delivery, do you have a trade, how long can you wait, does the dealer pass through the specials costs or do they mark-up, and will you put up with a lousy salesman for a little lower price.

We ditched the lowest price because of a rude salesman (would not talk to wife and was arrogant) and we ditched the highest price for same reason plus price. We ended up with a very nice and knowledgeable salesman who came close to the lowest price. The % off MSRP is a huge question because of how dealers figure the final numbers. If the dealer starts with an inflated MSRP then expect a larger % off, the important thing is the bottom line. You can expect 25 - 30 % in the end.

Good luck with your buying adventures.
ewlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:16 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We solicited 6 bids for what all were told up front would be a factory delivery. Only one dealer wanted to show "retail" on the specials and give us the same discount on that made up price as on the coach and regular options. Most passed the specials through at cost.

As for discount on a factory order, I'd expect 28 to 30%. A trade can complicate the numbers.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ51 View Post
I got the specials at dealer cost.

That was the same for me as well. After negotiating the price off MSRP of the normally optioned out unit, we added a few specials which were done at dealer cost.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We sent out bids and just got them back this weekend. The dealer that we are going with gave them to us at his cost. If you have the opportunity go back to Nappanee and sit down with Michelle to get your specials. You will be able to pretty much be able to customize it.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote