Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO you would be extremely unlucky to have belts go on a 2017 coach in the near future. By the time you would need the replacement belts they would have aged almost as much as the belts you are replacing.

Fuel filters, etc may be similar in that you are unlikely to encounter bad fuel if you fill at busy stations. If something does happen you have to be able to diagnose the issue as well as perform the necessary work. Will you carry a can of fuel to prime the filters?

Regular maintenance, replacement of filters and belts as recommended in the manual will eliminate 90% or more of the need to carry these kinds of items.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #16

Another option on filters and belts is to call the manufacturer of your chassis. They can give you all the Cummins part numbers as well as any chassis info you may want.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Register on Cummins quickserve with your engine serial number and you will have access to all manuals and part numbers for the engine.
Quickserve.cummins.com
What a great tip! Thank you! Gold mine of information now that I'm in and registered.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DEF
Oil
Filters
Tools
Air compressor
Extensions for water, power, and sewer connections
Short and long cable TV connection
Regular extension cords, I carry 25' and 100' heavy duty.
6-10a battery charger.
Several bungee cords
Duct tape

Emergency road service such as Coach Net.
Insurance and registration papers in a handy place.

Internet connectivity - see the Mobley discussions here.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #19

Neal - since you have a F/liner chassis there is a great site for owners to get a boat load of information about your chassis parts, filters, fluids etc. You will get very specific info about your actual chassis. To register, you fill out the info and they will send you logon info. Takes a few days. Here is the link to the site:

https://www.dtnasolutions.com/welcome

When you get logged in, you will have a choice of a number of apps. I have found the parts app, the wiring diagram app, the vehicle info app and the DTNA solutions app to be very helpful.

This is a well kept secret. Once you get registered you will be able to get any info on your chassis and components whenever you desire.

Hope this helps
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post
Neal - since you have a F/liner chassis there is a great site for owners to get a boat load of information about your chassis parts, filters, fluids etc. You will get very specific info about your actual chassis. To register, you fill out the info and they will send you logon info. Takes a few days. Here is the link to the site:

https://www.dtnasolutions.com/welcome

When you get logged in, you will have a choice of a number of apps. I have found the parts app, the wiring diagram app, the vehicle info app and the DTNA solutions app to be very helpful.

This is a well kept secret. Once you get registered you will be able to get any info on your chassis and components whenever you desire.

Hope this helps
Thank you for sharing. I'll check it out.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"NealC"......I do all of my own servicing and repairs, but I don't carry a ton of stuff. I carry:

-both fuel filters
-two quarts oil (have been carrying these for ten years and never needed them)
-two quarts transyn (have been carrying these for ten years and never needed them)
-generator fuel filter and air cleaner
-Oasis service kit
-air compressor - Porter Cable 110 volt
-exterior bay water filter
-refer water filter

I've also owned a three drawer Craftsman tool chest since the 70's. I keep it in the front bay on the passenger side. I keep the following in it:
-metric and sae sockets up to 3/4"
-assorted screw drivers
-propane soldering gun
-pex clamp tool and clamps
-1/4 drive socket set
-side cutters, pliers, needle nose
-allen wrenches
-electric drill (I don't have to worry about charging batteries if it sits for a year)
-drill bits
-****Volt meter**** basic model
-assorted nuts, bolts, screws, hose clamps, fuses, wire, tie wraps.

The tool box is something you should have and add things as you need them. I find if something breaks, like my water pump electronic controller, (broke after three months) I buy a spare and keep it in my toolbox.

I carry about a dozen car wash towels, soap and wash pole and glove. I also have a 7' folding ladder (Camping World) folds to 5"x5" square for cleaning the windshield. Windshield cleaner, wax and a can of Oops for cleaning up gooey stuff.

Over the years I added a lot more things, like a cable lock for bicycles, regular extension cord, some parachute cord, large trash bags, hatchet, fishing poles, table cloths, portable flood light for a tent room and many other outdoor items.

I also carry a pole trimmer and garden shears. If a tree branch is in my way and is going to scratch my coach, it's coming down.

There's a lot more in my coach, but I've been RVing for over forty years and have collected a lot of things that we use for different types of camping, like a corn hole game and washing machine fire pit.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"NealC"......I do all of my own servicing and repairs, but I don't carry a ton of stuff. I carry:

-both fuel filters
-two quarts oil (have been carrying these for ten years and never needed them)
-two quarts transyn (have been carrying these for ten years and never needed them)
-generator fuel filter and air cleaner
-Oasis service kit
-air compressor - Porter Cable 110 volt
-exterior bay water filter
-refer water filter

I've also owned a three drawer Craftsman tool chest since the 70's. I keep it in the front bay on the passenger side. I keep the following in it:
-metric and sae sockets up to 3/4"
-assorted screw drivers
-propane soldering gun
-pex clamp tool and clamps
-1/4 drive socket set
-side cutters, pliers, needle nose
-allen wrenches
-electric drill (I don't have to worry about charging batteries if it sits for a year)
-drill bits
-****Volt meter**** basic model
-assorted nuts, bolts, screws, hose clamps, fuses, wire, tie wraps.

The tool box is something you should have and add things as you need them. I find if something breaks, like my water pump electronic controller, (broke after three months) I buy a spare and keep it in my toolbox.

I carry about a dozen car wash towels, soap and wash pole and glove. I also have a 7' folding ladder (Camping World) folds to 5"x5" square for cleaning the windshield. Windshield cleaner, wax and a can of Oops for cleaning up gooey stuff.

Over the years I added a lot more things, like a cable lock for bicycles, regular extension cord, some parachute cord, large trash bags, hatchet, fishing poles, table cloths, portable flood light for a tent room and many other outdoor items.

I also carry a pole trimmer and garden shears. If a tree branch is in my way and is going to scratch my coach, it's coming down.

There's a lot more in my coach, but I've been RVing for over forty years and have collected a lot of things that we use for different types of camping, like a corn hole game and washing machine fire pit.
Awesome list. I really need to figure out the parts for the top part of your list for my 17 VTDP. Where do you get your parts from?
Old 06-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #23

So far a pretty good list of stuff. My brand new coach did in fact shed a fan belt with 2300 miles on in in the middle of nowhere Texas. Freightliner Customer Service had a service man to me within an hour and on the road within 3.

So of course I will never ever need the fan belt that I now carry and the tensioner tool I bought with it.....

BUT, I will echo DUCT TAPE. You really can fix a lot of stuff if you have enough of it....And the Watch word is..... Something will always go wrong, no matter what year, how new or how old! Its good to be a "BOY SCOUT" but you cant think of everything. In time you will decide what goes and what stays!
Good Luck
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #24

Once you get all the part numbers for filters etc. order them on Amazon. Even when on the road you can get delivery at a future destination. I've done this many times.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Freightliner Dealer about 30 minutes away. I take them my VIN and they can pull up all the parts I need. I find that they're very competitive on prices, carry the OEM brands and have everything in stock.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #26
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
If you pack only one tool, make it a 9/16 ratcheting box end wrench. This is for your slide motor bolts. When your slide "pops" going in or out, go tightening the bolts (locations noted in other posts).

Can of T9 to spray on, and stop, rust anywhere you see it.

Bottle of Home Defense bug spray (available at Home Depot) to spray around your tires and hose/power cord to keep bugs out of coach.

Make sure to pack your sense of humor for the many "adventures" you'll have.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee, the last VTDP 3725 - heading home after the "great warranty circuit" trip.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:59 AM   #27

what is the best roadside service to subscribe to?
two dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:11 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two dogs View Post
what is the best roadside service to subscribe to?

Please post this question in a new thread or search the forums as this is discussed many other times. Good Sam vs Coach Net etc.