Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Diving in head first...things to take on a 2 month trip?

Well, I have yet to take my first trip which should be a short one next week, in my new VTDP. Local freightliner shop is fixing a vibration which turned out to be several tires out of round. Freightliner chassis has been amazing to work with and guiding my local dealer!

With that said I signed up for the Passport America rocky tour and Sedalia, MO Newmar International Rally. I expect I'll be gone, yikes, from end of July to early October. Well out of my comfort zone. But I can run my business (software company) from my RV so this will be the big test.

I'm stocking up on all the normal life stuff for me and the pooch but my question, yes, finally getting to it, is what should I take for RV maintenance? It's brand new of course but I suspect I should take fluids/filters such as for the Generator? I have to figure out what those are, but any other suggestions on what to take at this point for general maintenance?

Excited, nervous, but this is the real test and putting this big purchase to good use!

Also looking forward to the FL Keys trip later in the year! Fun fun!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #2

You don't need to stock up on food as there are grocery stores across the country. I'd take along a spare serpentine drive belt, fuel filter, tire pressure gauge, subscribe to a reliable roadside service, enough tools to change the serpentine belt, if you have a washer and dryer then enough clothes for about a week. Obviously there are more things to take and I'll let others chime in with their thoughts.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks! I have the internals covered, I'm more concerned about oils, filters, belts, etc. and finding which to actually get.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #4

High quality portable tire inflator that is capable of high pressure.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with the tire inflator.

The greatest need is a good roadside service provider.

Beyond that for this trip, I'd carry a gallon or two of antifreeze, a gallon of distilled water for the batteries, and a good mechanics tool kit.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Take a credit card and your warranty card.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
I would advise you take a couple of gallons DEF fluid. It is sold at most auto stores and some walmarts but if in the middle of nowhere you need it you have it. I also buy a case of scott extra rapid dissolving bath tissue. You can't imagine how much you go through. I would also recommend if you can afford it a Viair 400P-Rv Air compressor. A bit pricey but well worth the money. It comes with everything to air up your coach (150 PSI ) and anything else you need to put air in. It is quiet and works great. You can get it all on amazon. Have a safe trip and hope we meet in MO. I would love to see what you did to your stereo system.
djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Great info so far, added to my list.

I did get the Viair 450P - great system!

I will post my A/V final setup and all details as soon as it's done which should be this weekend.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #9

X2 on the fuel filters. One bad fill-up and you'll be dead in the water. Don't forget to fill them before installing and read up on how to prime the system. Also, a filter wrench that fits them. I have one that looks like a pair of pliers.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
You don't need to stock up on food as there are grocery stores across the country. I'd take along a spare serpentine drive belt, fuel filter, tire pressure gauge, subscribe to a reliable roadside service, enough tools to change the serpentine belt, if you have a washer and dryer then enough clothes for about a week. Obviously there are more things to take and I'll let others chime in with their thoughts.

X2! So very easy to over pack. Yeah, you might have to purchase an item or two on the fly, but what the heck. It is better than carrying a crap load of stuff that you will never use.

Just fuel it up and hit the road.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
How can I find out which filters I need? Fuel, Generator, etc.? Belts?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Diving in head first...things to take on a 2 month trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
How can I find out which filters I need? Fuel, Generator, etc.? Belts?

Register on Cummins quickserve with your engine serial number and you will have access to all manuals and part numbers for the engine.
Quickserve.cummins.com
Old 06-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
unless you are going in the boonies, there's stores and rv shops everywhere 0 enjoy the trip! I am jealous !!!!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO you would be extremely unlucky to have belts go on a 2017 coach in the near future. By the time you would need the replacement belts they would have aged almost as much as the belts you are replacing.

Fuel filters, etc may be similar in that you are unlikely to encounter bad fuel if you fill at busy stations. If something does happen you have to be able to diagnose the issue as well as perform the necessary work. Will you carry a can of fuel to prime the filters?

Regular maintenance, replacement of filters and belts as recommended in the manual will eliminate 90% or more of the need to carry these kinds of items.