Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2015, 07:50 AM   #1

Smile DIY Information

I have a 2014 canyon star 3940. In April 2015 the transfer switch failed. The one year warranty went out Oct 2014. Newmar said if it was bad Progressive dynamics would take care of it. Newmar sent one to a mobile unit. The switch failed again Dec 2015. I sent a e-mail to Newmar and Progressive. Newmar responded saying Progressive would pay for part only but they (Newmar) could not send one to me it had to be a service center. Progressive said call us and we will send you one and the old one had to be sent back to us. I have one on the way and I will put it on myself. The lady at Progressive was super nice.
Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #2

Glad Progressive is taking care of it.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The "Transfer Switch"? Are you referring to the "Battery Disconnect" switch? Or is the transfer switch in the electrical bay, near the 50amp power cord? I am noting issues with the battery disconnect. It has to be pressed twice and the LED is dimly lit instead of just powering up? Curious?
LCDRAKAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I have a 2014 canyon star 3940. In April 2015 the transfer switch failed. The one year warranty went out Oct 2014. Newmar said if it was bad Progressive dynamics would take care of it. Newmar sent one to a mobile unit. The switch failed again Dec 2015. I sent a e-mail to Newmar and Progressive. Newmar responded saying Progressive would pay for part only but they (Newmar) could not send one to me it had to be a service center. Progressive said call us and we will send you one and the old one had to be sent back to us. I have one on the way and I will put it on myself. The lady at Progressive was super nice.
Just curious WHY the failure ?

Are you transferring while under load?

Progressive is a pretty good unit (Customer Service is great!).
Haven't heard of them having issues with their transfer switches.

Now Parallax ....that's a whole different story. THEY are junk
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
When I had problems with losing my shore power the transfer switch was replaced and the problem later occurred again. It was found to be the glendenning power cord. This power reel is showing up to have a lot of problems. Do a search on the power cord for more info as your cord reel may be the problem.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #6

I always unplug from shore power when running generator. I know it is the transfer switch because I have power going to it and not coming out. When I start the generator it works right. I bypassed the switch and power is restored.
I am just unlucky to have two failures in one year.
Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote