Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Q?; Any member here with a late model Newmar coach have experience with installing the Magne-Shade (front windshield shade) themselves?

I just ordered a set of the shades and realize that the speaker/vent duct panel/deck positioned below the top of the windshield (between the back of the privacy / night shades and the glass) will have to be temporarily removed to be able to reach the upper gasket/corner areas and install the top corner and horizontal retaining magnets.

Wondering how big a job that is in terms of it being a DIY project or having a servicing dealer do it for me.

If you've done this (or had it done for you), please advise.

Thanks.

Photo of speaker/vent duct panel which appears to be approx. 8-10" below the top (gasket) of the windshield glass.
Attachment 161557
I had a similar situation with my magne shade upper magnets install

A few inches from my inside top windshield gasket there was a ultra leather covered board going from one side to the other. This board touched the windshield leaving no access to slide the magnets in. Attached to this board was my MCD electric shade.

I needed to romove both my manual side shades as the front board wrapped a bit around the sides. I then unclipped the MCD shade a swung it to the side securing it. I didn't want to disturb the wires to the MCD shade so i was very careful. With the install of the magne shade requiring 2 people to install that help was needed to secure the MCD shade putting no stress on the motor wires. I tied a few pieces of rope around the shade to a side cabinet handle putting it out of the way for the rest of the magne shade install.

Then removing a couple of screws the board was removed giving me acess to the upper magnet placement. Sounds like allot more work than it actually is to do.

Bad part for me is i am waiting to have a new windshield installed next Saturday due to a crack and will have to do it all over again.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just did our 2017 DS 4369.
I measured where we could put the magnets (about 2 " down from the outside rubber seal at the top) and same for the bottom and they added material to cover the rest. The lower section can hang but they added a magnet to each top corner and an outside magnet to be placed in the upper corners to help cover the top edge. We used exterior magnets on the side windows and three on the paint - driver side - didn't like doing that but no choice.
It is a little trickier putting up the windshield shade with the extra magnets but looks good once up.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:59 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
BTW. Rick, I hope magnashade recommended and sold you the "large" magnet set. Because of the size of our windshields the "regular" magnet set may not hold the cover in place in high winds...
Magne-Shade refers to it as the oversized W/S which is supplied with the larger magnets.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:36 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Magne-Shade refers to it as the oversized W/S which is supplied with the larger magnets.

Hmm, Couple of years ago the "large" magnets were a $50.00 upgrade... Go figure...
Old 05-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #19

When you order the windshield shade do you have to send them the measurements or will they have that info already?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
DIY - Installation of Magne-Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
When you order the windshield shade do you have to send them the measurements or will they have that info already?

As memory serves, they have the dimensions but, they will ask you to confirm them when you order...
Old 05-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
When i was in the ordering process they sent me an email with my windshield measurments for me to compare. Not even close so they sent me a template making kit. Took maybe an hour with the help of a friend to attach the large brown paper and trace what was in their instructions. Sent it back and within 2 weeks i had my front and side shades. Perfect fit. My friend and helper is a master sail maker and was extremely impressed with the technology, quality and fit.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install