Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2017, 03:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
DIY - Installation of Magne-Shades

Q?; Any member here with a late model Newmar coach have experience with installing the Magne-Shade (front windshield shade) themselves?

I just ordered a set of the shades and realize that the speaker/vent duct panel/deck positioned below the top of the windshield (between the back of the privacy / night shades and the glass) will have to be temporarily removed to be able to reach the upper gasket/corner areas and install the top corner and horizontal retaining magnets.

Wondering how big a job that is in terms of it being a DIY project or having a servicing dealer do it for me.

If you've done this (or had it done for you), please advise.

Thanks.

Photo of speaker/vent duct panel which appears to be approx. 8-10" below the top (gasket) of the windshield glass.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2573.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	161557
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 03:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Q?; Any member here with a late model Newmar coach have experience with installing the Magne-Shade (front windshield shade) themselves?

I just ordered a set of the shades and realize that the speaker/vent duct panel/deck positioned below the top of the windshield (between the back of the privacy / night shades and the glass) will have to be temporarily removed to be able to reach the upper gasket/corner areas and install the top corner and horizontal retaining magnets.

Wondering how big a job that is in terms of it being a DIY project or having a servicing dealer do it for me.

If you've done this (or had it done for you), please advise.

Thanks.

Photo of speaker/vent duct panel which appears to be approx. 8-10" below the top (gasket) of the windshield glass.
Attachment 161557
I thought Magna-Shades were attacked to the "outside" of the glass to be protected?

g
Old 05-12-2017, 04:10 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I installed ours but I can't tell from your picture if you can reach up in the corners or not.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:51 AM   #4

I don't know what year your coach is, but I had no problem reaching up and installing teh magnets on our 2013 DS
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
I thought Magna-Shades were attacked to the "outside" of the glass to be protected?

g
Magnets are attached on the inside of the windshield.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

Rick talk with Magne-Shade. They have some tips and tricks they can share. I've also seen folks describe mounting the internal magnets to the outside of the window with a bit of sealant around the edge to keep water from getting under the double sided tape.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a mobile RV tech, who was tall but lighter than me, do the magnet placing on the inside and I held the shade up on the outside. It is not a one person job if you want the shade to fit tightly to the windshield.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just to clarify, in order to install the Magne-Shade magnets in the top corners and along the horizontal plane of my windshield, I WILL HAVE TO REMOVE the front speaker / air duct panel which runs the full width of the windshield and is located between the privacy/night shades and the inside of the windshield approx. 8-10 down from the top of the glass gasket.

My specific question centers upon experience from others who have had to temp. remove their speaker/air vent panel in order to be able to reach the location where the magnets must be installed.

Refer to the photo in OP #1 which shows the panel (which is 8-10" below the top of the windshield). Note: the gasket or rubber stripping that can be seen in the photo is not the windshield mounting gasket. It is solely a separate rubber strip between the end of the speaker panel and the windshield.

FWIW, My coach is a 2017 Essex.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Rick,
I installed our Magna-Shade using tape to temporarily hold the magnets in place. I did not have to remove anything to properly place the magnets on our Essex... Once I had the shade in place I pulled the tape and repositioned the magnets, one at a time, for maximum deflection.

Rick,
Just came in from the Coach garage. On the 2011 Essex there is a rubber seal that rests between the overhead and the windshield, that seal is very flexible and your fingers and the magnets will go right past it... at least on our 2011. I also noted that, because of magnet placement within the shade, the upper magnets are not against the windshield seal but are located an inch or two below the seal. Hope this helps...

Ken
Old 05-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I used a butter knife the attach the upper corners. They are up and behind the upper cabinets.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:21 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Rick,

On the 2011 Essex there is a rubber seal that rests between the overhead and the windshield, that seal is very flexible and your fingers and the magnets will go right past it... at least on our 2011.

Ken
Ken, good info. I'll admit that I have not attempted to reach beyond the rubber seal but will now check it. Thanks. Rick
Old 05-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Ken, good info. I'll admit that I have not attempted to reach beyond the rubber seal but will now check it. Thanks. Rick
BTW. Rick, I hope magnashade recommended and sold you the "large" magnet set. Because of the size of our windshields the "regular" magnet set may not hold the cover in place in high winds...
Old 05-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Magnets are attached on the inside of the windshield.
Thanks - - I thought of that after I posted.....sorry.....

Just my fingers working faster than my brain........

Have a great weekend!

g
Old 05-13-2017, 06:55 AM   #14

I have installed on my 2017 DS 4369 and did not have to remove anything but the tape backing on magnet. It is a tight fit for my hand but was able to do it. looks like you have something other than a DS. good luck you will love the shade....
bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install