Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #1

Greetings fellow Newmar Owners!

I just bought a 97 DS DP (and many thanks for the advice while I was contemplating the purchase!); the MH went directly into the shop for a service, and I put 6 new Michelin XRV's on it. Coincidentally, I also have new aluminum rims, so I have extra tires and rims. Should I tote one around with me for a spare, or is that generally not done? If it's done, where do folks put it? The only place I can think of is the basement somewhere...

Thanks for your insights,

tnsharon

2007 Chevy Crew Cab Pick-em-up Truck
tnsharon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #2

Greetings fellow Newmar Owners!

I just bought a 97 DS DP (and many thanks for the advice while I was contemplating the purchase!); the MH went directly into the shop for a service, and I put 6 new Michelin XRV's on it. Coincidentally, I also have new aluminum rims, so I have extra tires and rims. Should I tote one around with me for a spare, or is that generally not done? If it's done, where do folks put it? The only place I can think of is the basement somewhere...

Thanks for your insights,

tnsharon

2007 Chevy Crew Cab Pick-em-up Truck
tnsharon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:20 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We carry an unmounted spare in our basement. Unfortunately it takes up a fair amount of space, but we have adjusted. If we have a tire problem, we will just have a mobile tire service come to us and mount and install our spare. Hopefully this will save time since the mobile tire service will not have to locate a tire.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:43 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I believe the vast majority of us do not carry a spare if one was not supplied with the MH.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always carried a spare when we had motorhomes. It is not a matter of IF you will have a flat or blow out, but a matter of when. Good old Murphy will always pick the least convient time, the most remote location and the worst weather to have this occurence.

So by having a spare, you are not at the mercy of the local tire dealer, if you can even find a tire.

Just my 2 cents worth and if you add 3 cents to that you would have a nickel.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congrats Sharon on your new Newmar.
As had been said, some do not have a spare, takes up space and added weight. I have never had a tire trouble in 20yrs of MHing but the gas coachs I have had always had a spare the 90's coaches had a rear bumper that pulled out and my 03 has a rear cage that drops tire under the gas tank. Carrying a spare in one of your compartments would not be hard to do just tie it down somehow.
Good luck with your new Newmar many safe and happy miles.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats on your Newmar purchase and welcome to the group.

Carrying of a spare tire will get all sorts of opinions. I believe it is a personal choice that needs to made that is within your comfort zone. I have been RVing since the mid 70's never had a need for a spare tire. With the relative low cost of the various "Emergency Road Service" companies I see fit to pay the $$ and let them do the work and manage the logistics. I cannot imagine doing a tire change myself with 22.5" rims and tires, lug-nuts torqued in excess of 200PSI. The only thing a casing would do is make sure you can have the correct replacement tire in timely fashion. Spare tires deteriorate over time even if they are not mounted, just like the mounted ones. Remember for every bad tire story you see on these forums there are many, many, many good stories that never get posted.

The best advice is to take care of your tires and rims properly, change them when they get old, keep your pressures correct, don't overload them, then they should never have give you problems.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I carry a spare tire for the coach. Always have and always will. In 30 years of motor coaching, there has been a need 3 times on the coach and one time on the towed vehicle, for a spare tire. The coach spare tire is carried in the center of the forward basement compartment.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #9

Find out if your tire is a typical size that is stocked at most truck tire dealers. The tire manufacturers should be able to provide some direction. For me the decision was simple. I have the space so I carry a spare unmounted tire. My Michelin truck tire dealer told me that my size is not typical for most trucks so availability could be an issue.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote