RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Zac

I was getting ready for a trip earlier this week on Monday. When I started up the coach the engine started fine but after 15-20 seconds the Check Engine and Do Not Shift warning lights came on. I use my coach 1 to 2 times per month. The last trip was mid December. We live in the burbs of Chicago and winter has finally arrived with the temps this past week have been in the low teens. We have a hydro hot system that keeps the coach warm all winter. Our coach is a 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire.

I've talked with Spartan, they put me in touch Allison, Allison then said to call a local Allison service center. Before I call the service center is there anything that I can try or look at to see if there is a solution? Would the cold temps getting down to zero at night have anything to do with the transmission warning light? Would I need a Engine Block Heater?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Zac

I was getting ready for a trip earlier this week on Monday. When I started up the coach the engine started fine but after 15-20 seconds the Check Engine and Do Not Shift warning lights came on. I use my coach 1 to 2 times per month. The last trip was mid December. We live in the burbs of Chicago and winter has finally arrived with the temps this past week have been in the low teens. We have a hydro hot system that keeps the coach warm all winter. Our coach is a 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire.

I've talked with Spartan, they put me in touch Allison, Allison then said to call a local Allison service center. Before I call the service center is there anything that I can try or look at to see if there is a solution? Would the cold temps getting down to zero at night have anything to do with the transmission warning light? Would I need a Engine Block Heater?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Are you getting any error codes from the transmission? If not is there a diagnostic mode you can put the transmission into and see what it comes back with.

A block heater helps the engine, I do not think it helps the transmission. You OP mentions the engine starts and runs fine.

Cold or hot weather could affect the initial start & warm up proceedure for the engine and transmission. Have you let the engine idle long enough to circulate all fluids and warm up a bit?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
Zac

Hi Gary,

When I start the engine, it runs, then the warning light of Check Engine followed a few seconds later with Do Not Shift warning light. It turned out to be a sunny day today and I opened up the hatch to let the sun beat down on the engine. Plus, it is getting a bit warmer outside into the low 20's from 4 degree early this morning. I tried starting again, runs for about 15-20 second than the Check Engine light came on but 20 seconds later the Engine Stop light came instead of the Do Not Shift Warning Light. Any ideas?

Zac
Old 01-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #5

It well could be the pressure sensor in the transmission. Either it's really low or the sensor has failed, if in fact it is that. As suggested, did you warm everything up? If so try it after a short shutdown. If it is the sensor, unfortunitely disconnecting and reconnecting the chassis batteries will probably not cure it. Hopefully the Allison dealer can correct it easily.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #6

Just read your 12:34 posting. I would do anything to aviod being towed. Plug in the block heater. While it doesn't heat the tranny it will exchange the heat to it once you start running the engine. I would try to disconnect the chassis batteries and reconnect after 30 seconds to attempt reset. Best of luck.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Zac

Thanks, This forum has been pretty good at sharing knowledge.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If Peter's suggestions do not work, try to put the tranmission into diagnostic mode and see if you get some error codes. Please check the engine oil and transmission oil level.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
Zac

Levels are fine for both. I do not have the transmission book. How do I put it into diagnostic mode and where to the error codes display?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Zac,you need to push down on both Up and Down
arrows (3 sec.) to get into the diagnostic mode.When cold ,it can not check the fluid level(must be about 145degrees F )but it may give you some numbers and repeat them again...write them down,I will check my book. Then call Allison for advise.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Zac to irv2 and the Newmar forum.
As you can see some good people here to help you out hope you get that trans warmed up soon cold really makes them sluggish.
When things calm down enjoy the forums and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:07 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe most of the Allison transmissions will either give a "DO NOT SHIFT" or even "LOCK OUT" the transmission shift sequence if the engine is at a "HIGH IDLE" condition. If the engine has not been allowed to warm up enough to idle down to the "NORMAL" idle rpm, or the throttle is stuck at a higher than normal idle you may get the Warning or "LOCK OUT".
Good luck and be sure and let us know the outcome of the problem.

Glenn
Old 01-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #13

Generally the Allison will not indicate any problem while at a higher idle than normal, however any attempt to shift inti gear will result in no shift and a flashing indicator.

Peter
Old 02-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #14
Zac

Here is the latest update. The temps have gotten a bit warmer. Since zero at night but getting to upper teens today maybe even low 20's. The engine still shutsdown after 2 minutes. The code lights are O L - 7 o. I've talked to a few places the one place that is just a few miles away which is Crystal Valley RV and is listed on the Spartan Website as a authorized service center does not even have a computer and the software to run diagostics on a Spartan for error codes. I'm trying get someone to at least come to the RV and run diagostics.