Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2018, 05:10 AM   #1

Do you have a patio on the back...

What do you think about your patio now that you have had it for a while? Are you happy you made that decision to have a patio?

Do you use the patio as often as you had anticipated?

Do you use the mini fridge, microwave, sink, and TV very often?

Is deploying it and putting it away easy? How long does it take?

Is the awning automatic regarding rain and wind?

Were there any unexpected negatives regarding having a patio?

Any other comments?

Thanks a lot.
FullTime2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 05:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't have one, but I can tell you of one potentially unexpected negative - which in retrospect is 100% obvious with just a wee bit of thought, but I didn't think of it when walking through an RV with a rear patio.
We were camping last weekend and saw an two RVs (5er and a MH) with rear patios, neither of them were deployed. It was a PERFECT day out, just the kind of day that would invite sitting on a patio. I stood there for a bit and wondered why they weren't out, and then it dawned on me - the sites were too short. Both of them were in pull through sites and if they'd deployed the patio it would have been partially blocking the road.
Like I said, 100% obvious, but maybe not until you pull into the first site that isn't QUITE long enough.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:00 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Guy backed in a 41' 5th wheel just fit in the spot pulls out the pickup and has nowhere to park, I think it was their first trip.

Then goes to pull down the patio in back and wants to block my camp site.

My dog was tied to the tree and was looking as the door almost hit him, I say to the young fella " you want your site and mine ? "

You want me to remove my dog off the tree, he says " this grass behind the trailer is mine to use "

The Cg employee says to the guy " no your site extends to the next site passenger side "

Young guy then asks me can he use the patio ?

I said " been here almost a week, people have come and gone in your site, no one has tried to put out a patio, I will have zero room for even the picnic table "

The ranger said, no patio for you, leave it up, be a good neighbor.

This family, walks thru our site, good thing my dog is laid back, loves kids.

I have to ask, what Newmar has a rear patio ?
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTime2014 View Post
What do you think about your patio now that you have had it for a while? Are you happy you made that decision to have a patio?

Do you use the patio as often as you had anticipated?

Do you use the mini fridge, microwave, sink, and TV very often?

Is deploying it and putting it away easy? How long does it take?

Is the awning automatic regarding rain and wind?

Were there any unexpected negatives regarding having a patio?

Any other comments?

Thanks a lot.
Since this question was posted in the "Newmar Owner's" forum, it sounds like you are presupposing that Newmar coaches come equipped with some sort of fold-down "patio" on the back. I currently own a Newmar coach (2014 Ventana LE) and have another (2018 Mountain Aire) on order, but have never heard of a "patio" feature or option.

Have I missed something?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #5

The Canyon Star 3924 has a back patio. I’ve been considering it.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I don't have one, but I can tell you of one potentially unexpected negative - which in retrospect is 100% obvious with just a wee bit of thought, but I didn't think of it when walking through an RV with a rear patio.
We were camping last weekend and saw an two RVs (5er and a MH) with rear patios, neither of them were deployed. It was a PERFECT day out, just the kind of day that would invite sitting on a patio. I stood there for a bit and wondered why they weren't out, and then it dawned on me - the sites were too short. Both of them were in pull through sites and if they'd deployed the patio it would have been partially blocking the road.
Like I said, 100% obvious, but maybe not until you pull into the first site that isn't QUITE long enough.
It's probably the same as RV’s with side patios; some sites will be too narrow. But they sure do look good when they can be used!
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Good point. It will take some extra planning to reserve a site where it is usable.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Alen View Post
Guy backed in a 41' 5th wheel just fit in the spot pulls out the pickup and has nowhere to park, I think it was their first trip.

Then goes to pull down the patio in back and wants to block my camp site.

My dog was tied to the tree and was looking as the door almost hit him, I say to the young fella " you want your site and mine ? "

You want me to remove my dog off the tree, he says " this grass behind the trailer is mine to use "

The Cg employee says to the guy " no your site extends to the next site passenger side "

Young guy then asks me can he use the patio ?

I said " been here almost a week, people have come and gone in your site, no one has tried to put out a patio, I will have zero room for even the picnic table "

The ranger said, no patio for you, leave it up, be a good neighbor.

This family, walks thru our site, good thing my dog is laid back, loves kids.

I have to ask, what Newmar has a rear patio ?
I am looking at the Canyon Star 3924.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:39 AM   #9

The Canyon Star 3924 has a rear patio.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Why would you want a patio? Isn’t that what the ground to the right under your awning is for? The patio seems to me to be a huge waste of space and a lot of extra weight that could be utilized elsewhere.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #11

Don't have one but have seen an Outlaw backed up to a stream with the patio overhanging the stream. Have to admit I was envious. Also saw a few that had much better views from the rear than the side.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We had a patio on our previous 5th wheel toy hauler. It was probably the best option on the whole rig. We used it anywhere possible. It does take a little extra planning, google earth, etc. It can indeed hang over obstacles and drop-offs. It was great for rolling the full sized Weber grill out onto it and cooking. I loved cooking breakfasy in the mornings and talking to the passers-by. It also contained the dogs and allowed them room to roam outside. If there was any way to have a patio on our MADP, I would go for it in a heartbeat. That's the one thing we miss the most about our 5th wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	202410  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
We had a patio on our previous 5th wheel toy hauler. It was probably the best option on the whole rig. We used it anywhere possible. It does take a little extra planning, google earth, etc. It can indeed hang over obstacles and drop-offs. It was great for rolling the full sized Weber grill out onto it and cooking. I loved cooking breakfasy in the mornings and talking to the passers-by. It also contained the dogs and allowed them room to roam outside. If there was any way to have a patio on our MADP, I would go for it in a heartbeat. That's the one thing we miss the most about our 5th wheel.
Very nice. I'm a bit envious
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Why would you want a patio? Isn’t that what the ground to the right under your awning is for? The patio seems to me to be a huge waste of space and a lot of extra weight that could be utilized elsewhere.
To each their own.
I simply wanted input from people who have had a patio. I wasn't planning on justifying why I want one.