RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb Do you have great water pressure from city water?

When I got my VTDP I never really had "great" water pressure, in fact I preferred to just use the water pump as that always, for the most part, gave better pressure internal to the coach. I do use a quality pressure regulator set to 50 or 60 psi. I typically only see 30-40 at most CG's, only few have been high pressure above 40-50'ish. I figured that was normal so life went on.

With my winter wet bay project to install Drainmaster electric gate valves I ended that project by installing the setup from the http://rvwaterfilterstore.com per Jerry Davis and others I believe I learned of this from. It's pricey but if you look at the yuck in the house filter after not so long city water is purely disgusting and I wanted better filtering. In fact I change my house filter(s) quarterly, if you go longer than that well good luck with that yuck. I wasn't impressed with the water pressure, about the same as before, maybe slightly worse. I had a leak at one of the fittings so I removed the filter housing to seal it with some paste. I was dog sitting my mothers dog, part border collie, who was on a chain in his harness and I walked around the coach to check on him and he was one bite from chewing through his harness to escape! I dropped the water filter housing and cracked it chasing him before it was too late. Bummer! Well, sometimes good things come of this.

Instead of ordering another one of those expensive overpriced contraptions from RV Water Filter store I decided to check ole trusty Amazon! I saw a few options but found https://amzn.to/2K5L035. I sure wish I would have looked here first, it's half or less the cost of RV Water Filter Store. This one has better fittings which are garden hose (3/4" connections) making it far easier to swap with Newmar's setup vs. the 1/2" fittings RV Water Filter store uses for some unknown gastly reason!

Okay, getting to the point. THIS water filter setup, not sure why, has AMAZING water pressure. In fact I haven't needed or used my water pump AT ALL since installing this elcheapo dual filter setup I got from Amazon. The quality is great, the fittings are easy, no leak, and again, something with the design of this system yields much better water pressure. In the past I'd have the water pump on and let it decide if it needed to to handle the demand. Not anymore! Powerful shower, steady flow everywhere, this is a great water filter setup and inexpensive. I'm using a sediment filter first inline then the carbon 2nd in line that I got with my RV Water Filter store setup but the point is you want sediment first then carbon second.

If you have not so great water pressure AND you want to have a better filtration system, consider this one.

https://amzn.to/2K5L035

I should also note I'm using a REMCO AES Aquajet 3.4 gpm pump which is the proper gpm for my coach.

Aquajet – Remco

Love this pump!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter-system.png
Views:	5
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	249273  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #2

I guess the next question is how well do the filters work compared to the prior system. Seems like the new passes more GPM, but does it actually filter.
Keep us posted on observations.
Thanx

Old 06-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I use an outside filter (taste/sediment) and let that one also feed the house filter and that one will be sediment. I will also use a pressure regulator, and I will see how much pressure I got then. Since I most likely will use tank 50/50 time, so it's kept flushed with clean water, this should work fine.
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:39 AM   #4

Neal, if you bought The Essential System from RVwaterfilterstore.com it has a 1 micron sediment filter followed by a .5 micron carbon. The one you have now has a 5 micron in the first stage. Check the gpm capability through both the 5 vs the 1. That could be what is changing your water pressure. The 1 micron will need to replaced or washed (I bought washable 1 micron filters), more frequently due to it filtering out more stuff, hence the lack of gpm pressure over time. I never use City water, only filter it into the tank.

I had a choice of 3/4" or 1/2" pipe when I bought - since I am not mounting mine inside I went with the 3/4 hose connection. You went with the 1/2" because you were mounting inside.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Neal, if you bought The Essential System from RVwaterfilterstore.com it has a 1 micron sediment filter followed by a .5 micron carbon. The one you have now has a 5 micron in the first stage. Check the gpm capability through both the 5 vs the 1. That could be what is changing your water pressure. The 1 micron will need to replaced or washed (I bought washable 1 micron filters), more frequently due to it filtering out more stuff, hence the lack of gpm pressure over time. I never use City water, only filter it into the tank.

I had a choice of 3/4" or 1/2" pipe when I bought - since I am not mounting mine inside I went with the 3/4 hose connection. You went with the 1/2" because you were mounting inside.
That's kinda what I was thinking. The clean filter GPM should also be affected by the 5 vs. 1 micron all else being equal (same surface area filter). To increase the clean GPM, one could put two filters in parallel to increase the surface area and pass twice the GPM. But then it starts to look like a water treatment plant

The other workaround would be a pressure tank after the filters to store up clean water for use. This works great until you want to take a shower which uses up all the reserve water quickly. A multistage osmosis drinking system uses this as the osmosis membrane is so slow to clean the water to a low level of impurities.

I would: Keep the new two stage filters for all city water incoming. Then, put an osmosis system on the drinking water under the sink typically if the water is objectionable to drink. Or drink bottled water (hate to use all those plastic bottles). The shower / washing machine / dishwashing water really doesn't have to be all that clean...
Old 06-10-2019, 06:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have great water pressure from city water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post

I am using the filters that I bought with the Essential system first as I bought extras with that order. I’m not using the ones (yet) from the amazon order. The filter canisters are slightly different I believe. There is something different in the design of this setup from Amazon that has much better flow.

When I first got this one from Amazon after cracking the other one I just transferred the filters over and immediately noticed the difference.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #7

Nice report NealC. I thought of the dual filter system, but went with an outside full sized sediment filter instead. I put this upstream of the On the Go water softener so it captures sediment before the softener. I would have preferred your dual cartridge approach because of less set up and break down time. The pump that you reference looks promising.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #8

And we have to assume that the filters from old fit into the new housing...ie: that the water is actually getting filtered.
As we all know, these things are not rocket science...water goes in, passes thru a filter and water goes out. Weird that the housing itself restricts much of the water. Maybe it has always had some plastic flashing in the inlet / outlet? That's a stretch, but would answer the dilemma.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, most filters are standard. The former housings from RV Water Filter Store I wanted to use because I bought clear but they would not fit onto the new mount. Different threads at least. I think this may be the indicator of what's different. Maybe the RV Water Filter Store housings are larger or a different design not optimal for water pressure and the ones on the new setup are? The ones on the new setup I think match what Newmar uses, the standard flow-pur type filter housing. The filters fit ideally in the new housings and seem like a better all around setup.

Tags
water, water pressure