Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #29

I didn't buy my coach to save it for the next guy. I make it my own and don't hesitate to do mods that involve drilling, cutting, etc as long as it's done right.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRod View Post
Please do post some pictures of the 1/2 bath door remodel. I am considering doing this as well.

It sure makes that little bath a lot nicer. I don’t know how to post pictures,I can email them to you
Billwainscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #31

We purchased our coach for US, not the next owner. That being said, most of the mods we have done look like they were installed at the factory, or BETTER. Indiscriminate use of screws/velcro/nails drives me nuts, so I go out of my way to try and make mods fit into the general style/workmanship of the RV. Being a Dutch Star, the workmanship is overall pretty good, but still can be improved upon.

Neal, nice couch. I may be back!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Shower remodel

We removed the glass shower doors from our Hurricane and installed a collaspible shower rod with curtain. But we stored the shower doors in our garage in case we sell the motorhome.
neeliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #33

We ripped out the dinette and made a custom couch in place. Sooooooo comfy now. What good is a traveling home when we are not.comfortable? Now I am slow to drill in the dash or frame, do not want to make irreversible mods with little benefits but.somethings just make it more usable. Ours is slowly becoming home for us.
Gimpyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
I ripped mine down to the frame, pulled out all the flooring, ran new wires, and peeled open the fiberglass on the side.
You are my hero! I've been too chicken to even try stripping down my interior
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #35

Like a number of you, when I became a full timer my rig became my home. I forgot about resale and thought about enjoying my life as much as possible. I pulled out the 2 so-called recliners and put in a zero gravity recliner and put my dog's crate next to it. I took out the sleeper/couch and put in a 60x30 electric standing desk. I bought a queen size air mattress that's more comfortable than the sofa bed was for any sleepover guests. I'm not worrying about resale. When the time comes, I can replace the items I pulled out.
openmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #36

I recently removed a loveseat and the pull out sofa bed. We bought our Coach new in 2006 my youngest daughter slept in the loveseat and my oldest on the dinette or sofa bed fast forward to both of them being 5foot 6 and needing to stretch out I custom built 2 day beds that use twin mattresses have drawers under the mattresses and all the lower parts have been upholstered in leather I will have a set of custom cushions and slip on covers made for both. I saved the loveseat and sofa bed IF and I mean IF we were to ever sell our coach actually we hope to hand it down to our girls and get a new one when we retire!
camping fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Not afraid but paid attention to timing

Coming to the thread late, but surprised I didn't see someone already mention this: we've made a lot of mods to our rig, but were very careful to avoid doing anything that would void anyone's warranty. But, once the motorhome itself was out of warranty and most of the separate components were as well, our objective has been to make things work best for us. We've made more mods than I can count, replacing both TVs, having MCD motorized blinds installed, swapping out a J-Lounge for a custom cabinet/counter that includes a swing-up mount for my 27" iMac, having the factory replace the salon carpet with tile to match the galley, installing an air hose reel in a bay, replacing the water hose reel with a softener, adding 860 watts of solar, adding a MotoSat and eventually Winegard dish, re-engineering the flexible kitchen-sink-in-the-slide drain line that leaked twice, and, yes, putting hooks where it made sense based on our use (like right next to the entry steps for wet raincoats and doggie gear). I've relocated many of the monitoring panels and controls to the wall opposite the fridge, and am noodling through how to repurpose several cabinets next for things like Mi-Fi bricks, repeaters and routers, AppleTV and Roku, etc. I've added a Jotto Desk to the dash for a laptop (SilverLeaf and Nav) but plan to replace that with a few tablets (have a prototype iPad mount in place this summer instead of the obsolete 2004-ish Nav built into the dash). And I've got a pretty long list of future mods, more than my budget can take right now!

And the interesting thing is that most people who see the mods say, "I wish mine had that!" or "Can you make one for me?", so I'm not worried about making things unique and usable...
Old 10-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Going to be following this with interest. I've been thinking about adding a few of these Arkon discs to the dash, as I did on my ACE. I never actually removed them from my ACE, since the person that bought it said to leave them.

The ACE had a similarly rough/pebbled dash, so there is no way to mount a suction cup device. These discs (possibly like the RAM ones) give you a flat surface.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are some things that I would like to add, like towel bar in the kitchen, etc., but haven't decided if I wanted to start mounting things.

I use these on my pebble finish dash with no problem. Spent 3 months driving around Canada and Alaska and not once did they fall off. And one was holding a 7 inch tablet.

Aweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Going to be following this with interest. I've been thinking about adding a few of these Arkon discs to the dash, as I did on my ACE. I never actually removed them from my ACE, since the person that bought it said to leave them.

The ACE had a similarly rough/pebbled dash, so there is no way to mount a suction cup device. These discs (possibly like the RAM ones) give you a flat surface.

There are some things that I would like to add, like towel bar in the kitchen, etc., but haven't decided if I wanted to start mounting things.
These work great on the dash and are non-adhesive. I actually apply to the suction cup of my GPS and other items I mount to the dash. Removal is no problem as there is no adhesive, although they are very sticky. Great product.
jt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Adhesiv...IAAOSwJMhXDeZg
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
We have a 1998 Monaco. I don't think much about resale - we bought what we want,and are unlikely to trade until it dies.

Lots of little projects inside. I have added reading lights, replaced the backsplash, added pouches near the driver and passenger seats, bulletin board, maybe ten pieces of (fake) Alaskan native art on the walls. We eliminated the rear TV (never used) and made a bookshelf, which we do use. If a change makes it better for us, I will do it.

The interior is pleasant, but not my favorite. Had I the extra money sitting around, I would likely strip the interior, mahogany paneling on the walls, more modern cabinets with aviation-style latches, matching leather furniture (like that in a Ford King Ranch pickup!), touch switches, bigger shower, two sofas (one with recliners), etc.

I see it in my head, and have never seen one like it. That maybe indicates most people would not want a RV that looks that way. No doubt the cost would far exceed the value of the RV.

Matt B

Matt, you just described the approach we took on our 2002 Dynasty! We bought it 3 years ago with a well worn, outdated interior so I took a whole winter and stripped virtually everything out, leaving only the cherry cabinets. I tore out the tile and carpet and put down high quality engineered cherry flooring, added wainscot to the walls, re-wallpapered with a much more up to date and colorful pattern, took out all the furniture and replaced with leather power reclining theatre seats in one slide, and a console electric fireplace in the other with a big screen TV on a power lift behind it. One of my favorite mods was tearing out the old shower, running the plumbing under the floor, and replacing with solid surface panels and a Grohe faucet. Gained 11 inches of headroom! Also replaced all appliances, going with stainless steel Bosch cooktop, Bosch convection microwave, and residential stainless Samsung fridge.

To say we are happy with it is an understatement. By buying an older coach and putting in the time, we have a custom interior built just the way we want it, for a lot less than you might expect. We spent about $25K on materials, plus my free labor, and we are in our coach for less than $100K.

As I've said before, if you are handy, it's a great way to go.

BTW, lots of other upgrades came in that $25K including pure sine wave inverter, 2 new AC heat pumps, new faucets, backsplash, table & chairs, toilet, cedar lined closet, TPMS system, all new windlw shades, reupholstered window valances, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff.

Good luck with your rig, and don't be afraid to dive in and make it your own!
Old 10-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #41

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’m in the make it ours crowd. Have no hesitation in drilling, cutting making new wood items etc. Wires, etc are all Hindenburg’s with only switch’s, control panels showing as required. With a nice shop I can match the door the factory door frames, finish etc. Our 5th has like 60 plus mods, cabinets, electrical, plumbing, solar, etc.

We’ll keep both RVs for a long time and don’t worry about resale, the investment is for us to use.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:00 AM   #42

It's my home away from home, not an investment that I expect a return on. I modify and change anything only hesitating a day or two to see if my wife will change my mind. We have owned a few RVs over the years and the things we always find lacking are, no toilet paper holder, no toothbrush holder, not enough towel bars and coat hooks, and we always remove the table from the dinette and replace it with a smaller one, but then we don't use the dinette as a bed.
dentyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior