Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Do you need Cell Signal Booster ??

I will be putting a WIFI Ranger Elite Booster in my new coach but not sure I need a cell signal booster.
Do you find that a Cell Signal Booster is that much of a necessary? If your in a poor reception area from you provider then how much can these $500+ booster really do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

From my experiences a signal booster will only add one or two bars to a marginal signal. They will not add a signal where there is none.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

Stuart really depends on where you camp. If you like to boondock or you are still working and need internet access to do your job (my situation) then it can make a great deal of difference. Look at the coverage maps for your cell provider. Compare to how you camp. Check out information at www.rvmobileinternet.com. If you have an iOS device maybe get the Coverage! app so that you can easily compare the 4 vendor's coverage maps.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #4

Spoke with Stuart separately about this, but thought I'd repeat for others. While I don't use much going down the road (coverage typically is ok on highway), I use one frequently when camping. Depending on location, I use either an omnidirectional 'marine' or a yagi directional antenna (both made by WirEng), and I've never been without cell signal. In fact I've been in locations with NO measurable signal, hoisted one of these two bad boys up a pole, and been in business with >75% full signal on more than one occasion.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
There is a new class of Cell boosters now. If you're in a poor signal area, the MaxAmp system can boost and clean up that poor signal into a clean and useable signal. Bars do not really mean anything. You can have several bars and still have a crappy cell signal, and you can have 1 bar and still have a good useable signal. The MaxAmp Mobile is 32 times more sensitive than a good cell phone. (All cell phones are not created equal either.) It is the only system which can work on multiple carriers simultaneously, and can actively boost signal to 8 devices simultaneously. It is also the only system which can provide a cell signal to devices throughout the whole RV. You don't have to huddle around the interior antenna anymore.

Whether you NEED a cell booster is still up to you. Where I am parked right now, I have my booster unplugged because you can see a cell tower in any direction you look. The previous few months though we were in some pretty remote areas of Montana, Wyoming, Utah, the Dakotas, across the midwest, and always had usable cell service with the MaxAmp installed. Only when passing through large National Forest areas did we have lapses in cell coverage.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
I will be putting a WIFI Ranger Elite Booster in my new coach but not sure I need a cell signal booster.
Do you find that a Cell Signal Booster is that much of a necessary? If your in a poor reception area from you provider then how much can these $500+ booster really do?
Personally I feel that your money would be better spent on a Cell Booster rather than a WiFi booster. We added a WiFi Ranger booster to our RV when we first got it 6 years ago - and we never use it.

We've found that campground WiFi is marginal at best and cannot support our needs for internet access when we are travelling. We do have 2 Verizon Unlimited Data Plans that we use for internet access. In most of our travels in the East and Midwest, we've mostly had great Verizon coverage. We did take a couple of trips this year where we had almost no Verizon coverage (due to topography of where we were camping), and as a result of this we did purchase a WeBoost 4GX for our RV.

We used the 4GX on our last 3 trips this year and had great performance with it. While a Cell Booster will not make a signal where there is none, in locations where signal is marginal, we have found it to be a good investment - a much better one than our WiFi Booster
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Bars do not really mean anything. You can have several bars and still have a crappy cell signal, and you can have 1 bar and still have a good useable signal.
As Don says, the performance of a cellular phone in a modern 4G/LTE network depends on the levels of several factors of which overall signal strength is but one part. The bars on your phone were never meant for to be anything other than an illustrative indication of signal strength and they don't even provide a calibrated measure of that.

There are phone apps you can install that will display the other parameters that overall phone performance depends on, but if you're not a techie and don't want to do that, don't try to evaluate the performance of a cellular booster by looking at the number of bars on your phone. The simplest way to tell if your booster is working is to run a speedtest on your phone to see if it improves your download and upload speeds.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote