Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #1

Do you put your patio awning out?

Hello all! My MA doesn't have a slide awning on the passanger side due to the patio awning taking up that space. I am curious if folks put our their patio awning part way to cover the slide each time they park. I have not done so yet as I am concerned about the stability of the Girard awning in the wind . It does have the wind sensor but that doesn't help much for a sudden gust of wind. Please tell me what you do.

I hope your day is an awesome one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4468.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	563.0 KB
ID:	231515  
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

Only thing I use the patio awning for is for sun shade. Even that is very limited due to high wind seemingly everywhere we go. A slide awning will shed twigs, acorns, etc. if they have fallen while you camp when the slide comes in. The patio awning can too but it might not.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would like to but I have a 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35K ant it has a Carefree Mirage awning on it. The awning is so fragil that I am scared to put it out unless I am right there watching it. It has already been replace once and since it is now out of warrenty I am afraid that it will get torn up again. Its not what I like to do but that is the way it is.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Only thing I use the patio awning for is for sun shade. Even that is very limited due to high wind seemingly everywhere we camp
This is so true! My same experience
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #5

Our 2011 Ventana was the same where there was no slide out cover on the passenger side kitchen slide out. If it looked like rain or Autumn with leaves coming down I would extend the awning out just enough to cover and protect the top of the slide out. We never encountered a serious issue doing this and it was certainly more stable in winds deployed only a couple of feet versus being fully deployed.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar didn't put slide toppers on the kitchen slide until recently. I guess they figured that everyone camped with their patio awning always deployed. This is just another case of a designer who had never camped a day in their life.

I think "oregonhiker" has the right idea. Extend the patio awning just enough to keep debris off the kitchen slide. I don't think you always need to do that, but it would probably help when you're parked under a tree that is dropping debris.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #7

It would be a real eye opener if Newmar insisted that their design, purchasing, and production staff spend a week on the road with a coach (preferably with an owner) so they could see and experience just how we use our coaches in real time. We might then have a whole new level of coach coming off of the line. I have no real big complaints myself. Just had a few “what were they thinking” moments.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi leesimonson,
I extend the main awning enough to cover the PS slide every time. When needed I extend it all the way out. When leaving the site, remember to retract the slide first. Then retract the awning. Any debris the awning has caught will fall to the ground.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Interesting that your 2018 MADP doesn't have slide toppers on all slides; ours does. And, we have window awnings too. Now, we do have the 40' model (4047), so I wonder if that's the difference.

Edit: Oops! Misread the date of your coach as 2018 when it is a 2008. What a difference a digit makes. Sorry.

We did have the issue you describe with our 2014 Ventana LE and did put out the main awning just enough to cover the slide whenever possible.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #10

walmart sells these steel corkscrew in dog leash holders. i screw them in and use ratchet straps to anchor the awning. it works in even real high winds.
mfredm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our '02 DSDP didn't have a cover on the pass side so I put the manual awning part way out. Never a problem doing that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredm View Post
walmart sells these steel corkscrew in dog leash holders. i screw them in and use ratchet straps to anchor the awning. it works in even real high winds.

We'll assume you do not have a horizontal arm awning ...
Old 01-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi leesimonson,
I extend the main awning enough to cover the PS slide every time. When needed I extend it all the way out. When leaving the site, remember to retract the slide first. Then retract the awning. Any debris the awning has caught will fall to the ground.
This - we always extend enough to cover the slideout. We only have the awning out all the way if we're at the coach, and only during the daytime. We bring it back in to just cover the slide if we're away and also at nighttime.

Our awning has a wind sensor, but I don't recall seeing it trigger when it's only out over the slideout - it doesn't bounce that much even in pretty stiff winds. I admit that I have brought it all the way in if there's winds and we're leaving for the day or if we're inside.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #14

I do this all of the time without issue. And generally I have found, as others have said, that awning when only put out a foot or two is much more robust when it comes to wind, etc. This is because there is a very small amount of sail created versus when its fully extended. Especially since the first 6" of extension is actually the awning cover.

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning