Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do You Tip Your Service Tech at Newmar

Ive been working with a new (to me) service tech at Newmar. He's young, has a family and seems to sincerely want to do a good job. And he was small enough to crawl between the rear axles to install my TPMS extened antenna.

So, my question is...Have any of you tipped your Service Tech? If you'd rather not post pubically, feel free PM me a reply.

Does Newmar have a policy on this issue?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know about Newmar but according to the tech that installed my Fleetwood windshield they would be fired for accepting a tip so maybe it's something that would need to be extremely discreet.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #3

Hi Dan,

I'll be sending you a PM
Old 10-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #4

When we have had great service at the factory we have given gift cards and would recommend them. There are a lot of great people working at Newmar and we are so pleased to have chosen Newmar for our last 2 coaches.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #5

I would never, ever tip a paid newmar technician. They are paid a very fair wage for their services from Newmar and the cost of your coach reflects that. It's much different for other industries where tipping is customary as their low wages take that in consideration. (waiters, waitresses, maids, tour guided, etc).

It's certainly a nice gesture on your part. But, definitely not expected and properly something that could get an employee fired for if they were to accept it.
Jeffreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great thoughts, everybody! Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #7

Sometimes at other facilities I will send in several pizzas for lunch.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
I would never, ever tip a paid newmar technician. They are paid a very fair wage for their services from Newmar and the cost of your coach reflects that. It's much different for other industries where tipping is customary as their low wages take that in consideration. (waiters, waitresses, maids, tour guided, etc).

It's certainly a nice gesture on your part. But, definitely not expected and properly something that could get an employee fired for if they were to accept it.
I realize many places have a policy against tipping employees but I would ask what you consider a very fair wage? Industry wide the vast majority of techs will never be able to afford the product they repair. Many of these units have higher monthly payments than the avg tech makes before taxes. You can check the employee parking lot and you won't see many if any new cars and trucks. You would be amazed at the companies I have broken into laughter at when they started telling me about their great pay and benefits package. When a major company demands 5 years of employment records as a master tech and then thinks they can hire you in at 14 dollars a hour you have to laugh. The sad part is they fill the jobs and for that kind of money. Which is why you guys often complain about poor service because no highly skilled person would take the job other than a few of us that simply want a different job as we approach retirement. I told my son I would kick his butt if he ever took a job as a mechanic.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
I told my son I would kick his butt if he ever took a job as a mechanic.
That's the answer I would give. If one doesn't feel that their profession is compensating them for what they feel they are worth, then they should move on.
Jeffreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #10

Quote:
I realize many places have a policy against tipping employees but I would ask what you consider a very fair wage? Industry wide the vast majority of techs will never be able to afford the product they repair. Many of these units have higher monthly payments than the avg tech makes before taxes. You can check the employee parking lot and you won't see many if any new cars and trucks. You would be amazed at the companies I have broken into laughter at when they started telling me about their great pay and benefits package. When a major company demands 5 years of employment records as a master tech and then thinks they can hire you in at 14 dollars a hour you have to laugh. The sad part is they fill the jobs and for that kind of money. Which is why you guys often complain about poor service because no highly skilled person would take the job other than a few of us that simply want a different job as we approach retirement. I told my son I would kick his butt if he ever took a job as a mechanic.
Haha.. spot on! The continual complaints over poor service work is nothing more than a direct result of the poor wages paid by most RV dealerships. You simply cannot attract quality techs to work on 1/4 million dollar coaches for less than 30k/yr. Even worse are those dealerships whom pay based upon book labor. Having a rookie tech work on your coach being paid based upon pre-determined costs out of a book is dangerous - proceed with caution, you've been warned.

Back to the original topic of tipping.. Remember, IF you have a good tech he/she certainly isn't there because they're making serious $$$. The vast majority make less than 30k/yr. They are there because they love to work on coaches - and in my opinion, that's worthy enough for a tip, whether monetary or just sending a pizza, perhaps some doughnuts, which are always a good idea! :-)
Old 10-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I think many of you might be surprised how well the Newmar people are paid. I would be very surprised if the "vast majority make less than $30k a year". The last time I was there my tech was very interested in finding out exactly where I lived when he learned I lived in Warsaw, Indiana a little over 20 miles away. He was amish and told me he bought a 35 acre tract of woods close to my house that he uses to hunt in. I go to a bar in Nappanee and will have a beer or two and frequently talk to Newmar employees and many have been there a long time and seem to be doing pretty good financially.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj View Post
I think many of you might be surprised how well the Newmar people are paid. I would be very surprised if the "vast majority make less than $30k a year". The last time I was there my tech was very interested in finding out exactly where I lived when he learned I lived in Warsaw, Indiana a little over 20 miles away. He was amish and told me he bought a 35 acre tract of woods close to my house that he uses to hunt in. I go to a bar in Nappanee and will have a beer or two and frequently talk to Newmar employees and many have been there a long time and seem to be doing pretty good financially.
Did you miss something about the discussion??

IMO You are talking about Techs at the factory....others are talking about Techs that work in dealerships or privately owned RV repair facilities. Why do you think everyone seems to suggest in the posts I've read here on IRV2 that they get good to great repairs made at the factory service center, be it Newmar, Tiffin, Entegra, etc. ? My guess is part of the reason is the wage and benefit package that the Techs at the factory receive.

Remember the old adage You get what you pay for. You don't have any control over what the RV dealership or repair facility pay their employee. If they don't pay the employee what the work is worth then you get the quality of work for which they are paying the employee.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
I told my son I would kick his butt if he ever took a job as a mechanic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
The continual complaints over poor service work is nothing more than a direct result of the poor wages paid by most RV dealerships. You simply cannot attract quality techs to work on 1/4 million dollar coaches for less than 30k/yr.
I agree!
Just because shops charge $120 an hour does not mean that their techs are paid a "living wage".
It's sad but "flipping burgers" can be a better carrier choice.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
My bad. I thought you were also talking about the Newmar techs that make the repairs at the factory.

Tags
newmar, service