Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jim L.
This thread and my post was not meant to provide a series of steps for leaving camp. It was meant to focus on the portion of leaving camp involving getting the coach to ride height. The walk around step has been included in my posts, in threads where the total process is the topic. I have done a complete walk around as part of my leaving camp routine since 1978.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #16

Over the weekend, I had success in the coach rising quickly on depature, as described by others in this thread and also found it necessary to wait a considerable amount of time for the return trip. Sounds like I should visit Spartan to take a look at it. Could be a sticky valve or some other culprit.

VACMAN, as previously mentioned, and as "restated differently" now, I would recommend that "during" your walk around, that you consider the height of the chassis compared to riding height before dumping the air to ensure that it actually rose. That is what Spartan suggested to me. It sounds like you are a new owner of a diesel with air suspension, similar to me, and my caution is from experience that my air suspension had not raised the coach before the air burbed. Perhaps there are other methods of determining that the coach has attained riding height, but a visual reference is one and currently, the only method that I know of. Not a bad idea to check it during your walk around.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
VACMAN,
When the coach did not air up do you remember if you raised the jacks before or after starting the engine?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #18

Jim_L I also talked to Spartan and when I mentioned the air build up, They told me to make sure both of the air gauges on my dash came up to at least 100psi be-for moving. He also stated it is a good idea the always note how far the coach moves above the top of the wheel. He suggested to cut a stick at that height and use the stick as a gauge when you walk around.. Makes sense.Vacman
VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #19

I noticed on both my 2006 MM chassis and 2008 K2 some times the air will burp as if it is full when the coach is still down. When this happens I put my foot on the brake and release the parking brake momentarily to get it going. This seems to work every time. I'm not sure why, I wonder if there is something wrong.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
VACMAN,
When the coach did not air up do you remember if you raised the jacks before or after starting the engine?
GaryKD.. I did not mean to mis-lead anyone. I assume mine is working just fine. As as a matter of fact I have not even had the coach out of the drive way yet Been too busy building the garage. My original question was that my friends Monaco, he pulled a switch and his coach dropped down with-in 40 seconds. I was just wondering if the Spartan did the same thing. Sounds like Spartan will drop over time, and have to re-air, and rise on start up.. I mean my friends has a quick dump switch and Spartan does it gradual while sitting..If this assumption is correct some will agree. If I am wrong some will let me know..And I want to thank all that resonds. Some time us newbies ask some dumb question, but thankfully some of the old timers will help...thanks again guys..VACMAN
VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi VACMAN,
The next time your coach does not air up, please remember if you raised the jacks before or after starting the engine. I do not mean to be repetitive, but there is a reason for the question. There is a vertical rod on the front and rear air bag systems. When the coach is moving down the road the bags loose air. The rods tell the system when to add air to the front or back bags. There is no adjustment for the rod.

If your coach fails to air up (front or rear or both) after the gages read their driving PSI, the culprit may be the rods are stuck or out of position.

This is why I have asked the question and recommended the engine be started first, wait about 10 seconds, then raise the jacks. The coach should air up every time. Once air is being pumped into the system, combined with the movement of the coach by raising the jacks, tends to make the rod pass through the zone that tells the system to put air in the bags.