Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #1

Does my Dutch Star raise with air?

A friend of mine has a Monaco. And when we used to travel with them I remember when he parked he would dump the air and the coach would go down. Then before he pulled out he would have the wait until the air would raise it.. Just got my 2008 DSDP 4354, does mime do this? I notice when i first start my dash says LOW AIR.. Don't laugh at me just explain please...VACMAN
VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #2

I had the same question after purchasing a KS3910 and the answer is yes. What I found though was a little purplexing until I understood. The air gauges will eventually max out air pressures in excess of 100 lbs. and the valve will blow, but I found that my coach did not raise until I released and then re-engaged the air brake. Not sure why but that is how mine works. When first purchased, I waited until the air gauge showed proper pressures and attempted to go down my driveway with an incline and drug the trailer hitch. I found that the air bags did not inflate until after releasing and engaging the air brake. I really don't know if that is proper for all coaches, but that is the way mine is. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #3

jim - Sounds like you need a trip to Camp Newmar. Assuming you are off the jacks, once the engine starts (and the air pump gets the tanks up to pressure) the coach should be automatically airing up the suspension air bags.

BTW - No need to dump the air when you stop. KISS Yes the bags may leak down over time - like over several days and may do so unevenly.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a LINK that may help you about your air.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #5

I quess what I am asking is: Does anyone know if the Newmar/Spatian has a swith to release the air when parking and to add air when ready to go. Or does it just do it itself when I start up? Vacman
Old 03-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #6

All by itself.... You have to have it aired up to drive it or you'll by riding on the bottom suspension bumpers. If you have HWH jacks there might be a dump button on that panel or if you have Hadley air controls (I don't think Newmar puts that on the DS) you can do some raising and lowering. Otherwise, the system automatically fills. There really is no need to dump. If it had been sitting for several days you'll get the "low air" warning due to natural leakage. If you are not airing up at startup or the “low pressure” remains on you need to have that looked into ASAP as in right there - call Camp Newmar immediately. If you just shut it down and started it up shortly thereafter, you might not notice the rig rising as it has not had a chance to bleed off and it’s already aired up.

IMPORTANT: Since that same air also runs your brakes you also do not want to drive it until that pressure raises so that you have brakes. If you ever get that low air warning on the road you have only a few (couple) brake pedal applications before you have no service brakes at all. That can be a little troubling. Pick up a CDL manual at your local DMV and study the section on air brakes for a quick intro.

Everyone driving a DP (typically all are air brake vehicles) should know the technical parts of any CDL manual for that reason.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 AM   #7

RVDude: You are probably right that I should be contacting Spartan. I am very familiar with the air brakes and the need to ensure that pressures are acceptable. I typically wait until air is maxed and purges before moving but as noted, my coach does not raise even after maxing and burbing air. After first purchasing, I didn't know what the proper height was and didn't watch for it to be attained before going down the driveway (merely look at the distance between the wheel well and top of tire). That would be my suggestion to VACMAN. Whereas you do not need to dump the air when parked, it is desireable to lower the chassis when camping. I now know and do not move until I am certain that the coach has risen. It just doesn't do it until I release the parking brake. I plan to call Spartan and will post their response. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
For DS and KS only (I do not know about the other Star or Aire brands).

If Spartan hasn't change their standard answer, they will tell you when leaving camp to:
1. Start the engine.
2. Wait about 10 seconds.
3. Store the jacks.
4. Wait for the air system to relieve pressure (the blow sound behind the rear wheels) and for all the individual jack lights to be out.
5. Your good to go.

When getting to camp:
1. Position the coach at the camp site.
2. Turn off the engine.
3. Put the ignition key in the ACC position.
4. Dump the air.
5. When the coach has settled, level with the jacks.

If the coach settles after a short stop (ex. when refueling) the air system needs to be checked out.

Jim L. have you asked Newmar about having to do the release and re-engage the parking brake? I've never heard of this requirement. It makes no sense to me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #9

As Gary and The Dude have said,
You can manually 'Dump' air But system should not go down by itself over a short period of time,
it will automatically fill bags and raise to driving hieght when engine is started,
You should not have to disengage,reengage and disengage the parking Brake to get bags to fill.

Rick
Old 03-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #10

Gary: Thanks for your feedback. Whereas I agree with what you are saying, I believe that a step be inserted between 4 and 5 which should be to do a walk around to ensure that all looks appropriate before leaving. My KS does not rise before the pressure relief burp. Whether it is a problem with the system, or merely a particular situation for my KS is still to be determined, but Spartan indicated today that they have found that many coaches react very differently. When I first purchased the KS, I did not know what the proper ride heights were and found out real quickly that the coach was unusually low. Today, I called Spartan to discuss my specific situation as a result of this post and the replies. I found, per my discussions with Sparton, that not all coaches react as you have described and that the final check should be visual.

They have suggested that I wait a little longer to see if mine will rise eventually without the use of the parking brake because if not, it should be serviced. Latitude is correct that I should not be required to disengage and reengage the parking brake to make it rise per Spartan who has suggested that if the air bags don’t inflate after waiting a little longer, it might require service.

Spartan suggested that there may be moisture or something else wrong with one of the air valves. They also felt that the release of the parking brake may be actually releasing a stuck air valve. I depart on my next trip on Friday and will report back whether waiting a little longer actually worked.

VACMAN, I guess when it is all said, I do not disagree with anything said in this thread, but would suggest that you become familiary with your coach and perform a final walk around to ensure that all looks appropriate before putting it into drive and taking off. Things do not always works as they should or as you would expect them to work.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #11

Jim_L.. You have a safe trip and let us know how the air works on your trip.. I just received my coach last week and have not even had it out yet. I have been trying to get familiar with thing in the drive way. I am trying to find where to turn the oasis blower on for the basement. Trying to read the manuals but no luck.No biggie thou. i won' need heat under there until next winter, and I sure i will find it by then.....Vacman
Old 03-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #12

VAC - I am surprised no one has chimed on the bsmt water bay heat powered by Oasis. Starting in 08, I think Newmar went with a fixed temp water bay tstat in these rigs - hence no dial or controls. If so it might just be that if the Oasis boiler temp is above it's low temp cutout that the bsmt heat will just magically come on.

See if you can find a temp sensing bulb of some type (electrical or mechanical) probably on the floor of the water bay towards the back - between the catch tray and the tanks - maybe even mounted low on either wall. Slap an ice pack on top of it and fire up the Oasis. See what happens...

You should be able to see a cozy heat exchanger mounted behind the water bay panel mounted high in the dead space between the panel and the tanks. You may need to really stick your head way in there to actually see it.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #13

RVDUDE,,,You may be right, i have looked for a therm or something. I do know there is a register under there because the ohter night I had the funace running. then later while feeling aroud the wter section I could feel a warm register,, seems like there should be a way to set the desired temp.. I'll just keep searching....Thanks VACMAN
Old 03-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #14

I turned the furnace on today and looked around water tank area. Saw a small round bulb . I held a ice cube on it , and sure enough about 30 seconds the blower came on..Problem solved.. Thanks...............Sorry for changing the subject on my own thread.. But I am new Newmar owner and have a lot to catch up on..Hope you all understand... VACMAN