RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Oklahoma
Posts: 3,984
Does our 2015 Dutch Star's Oasis heat water while driving

We just checked into a campground after a 4 1/2 hour drive but after sitting a couple of hours we had no hot water until turning on the burner for a while. I was thinking the engine furnished hot water after driving but maybe I'm mistaken, which would be about par.
Does the Dutch Stars not have this feature?
__________________

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
MikeGriffin's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 306
With the Oasis, there's no water tank. So there is no water that's being heated while you drive. (Even if it was being heated, there's not place to store it!) You can use the element (electrical) water heating on demand if you select the AC1 or AC1&2 (better) switch, or do as you did and turn on the burner.
__________________

__________________
2015 Dutch Star 4369. Please see my YouTube channel (RV Life in the Slow Lane) for various RV help and tech videos.
MikeGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
jjr4's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 133
You are correct. The engine does furnish heat to the oasis system while running. Once the engine is stopped it no longer provides heat. Sounds like the water in the oasis system cooled down between your drive and when you wanted the hot water.


Jeff
2015 Dutchstar 4018
__________________
15 Newmar Dutchstar 4018
14 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
jjr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Oklahoma
Posts: 3,984
Thanks Jeff. Guess I am still used to having a 10 gal water heater that stays hot for several hours after shutting the engine off. Glad to know I wasn't completely off base and that things are probably working as it should be. May have been considering how cold the water is right now.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Oklahoma
Posts: 3,984
Thanks for that info Mike. Not sure how my thread got posted twice other than the fact I kept getting some kind of message that my server had disconnected due to the time, or something like that. Didn't make sense but undoubted I must have clicked on Submit more than once.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
BK53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4 View Post
You are correct. The engine does furnish heat to the oasis system while running. Once the engine is stopped it no longer provides heat. Sounds like the water in the oasis system cooled down between your drive and when you wanted the hot water.


Jeff
2015 Dutchstar 4018
I have a 2013 Ventana. I would like the waste heat from engine to stop going to Oasis while driving during the warmer weather. Itís nice when itís cool out but on a resent trip in 90 degree weather it heated not only the water but the kitchen floor and kitchen cabinets up. How can I turn this off and on when needed
Bob
BK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
dc3carl's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK53 View Post
I have a 2013 Ventana. I would like the waste heat from engine to stop going to Oasis while driving during the warmer weather. Itís nice when itís cool out but on a resent trip in 90 degree weather it heated not only the water but the kitchen floor and kitchen cabinets up. How can I turn this off and on when needed

Bob


Be sure your thermostat is not selecting heat and check that the pump bypass switch on the Oasis distribution module (silver box in basement) is not in the Run position. Sometimes itís hard to see the switch but if you flip it to Run you should hear the circulation pump run; flip it off and pump should stop, assuming no thermostat is calling for heat.
We were incorrectly told to turn that switch ďonĒ when using heat. That switch is needed only to purge air from the closed-loop Oasis coolant system. You shouldnít ever need to turn it on. If it is on it will circulate Oasis coolant through all your heat exchangers regardless of thermostat setting.
Happy travels
__________________
DC3Carl
Carl and Gayle and Bandit
2012 Dutch Star 4342
dc3carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:24 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
BK53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc3carl View Post
Be sure your thermostat is not selecting heat and check that the pump bypass switch on the Oasis distribution module (silver box in basement) is not in the Run position. Sometimes itís hard to see the switch but if you flip it to Run you should hear the circulation pump run; flip it off and pump should stop, assuming no thermostat is calling for heat.
We were incorrectly told to turn that switch ďonĒ when using heat. That switch is needed only to purge air from the closed-loop Oasis coolant system. You shouldnít ever need to turn it on. If it is on it will circulate Oasis coolant through all your heat exchangers regardless of thermostat setting.
Happy travels
Thanks. Iíll look for the bypass switch. I donít believe I saw any reference to that in the owner manual. It sure does seem like Iím getting heat to heat exchangers when I donít need it.
Bob
__________________

BK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dutch star, heat, water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Dutch Star - Passed Heat Test tomakat Newmar Owner's Forum 8 07-30-2015 08:49 PM
Dutch Star's "Hydronic Zone Heat & Water rg neumann Newmar Owner's Forum 11 07-15-2015 07:40 AM
Oasis Dutch Star 2014 AC Heat LED not green nab24 Newmar Owner's Forum 8 04-30-2015 02:39 PM
Dutch Star & Oasis in below zero temps... CentILRVer Newmar Owner's Forum 4 03-01-2015 08:36 PM
2015 Dutch Star Floor Heat Michman66 Newmar Owner's Forum 1 10-22-2014 07:48 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.