Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #1

I see that the Ventana comes with a 5 watt solar panel. Does this keep the house and chassis batteries charged when the MH sits for a while (assuming they're fully charged when parked).
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #2

I see that the Ventana comes with a 5 watt solar panel. Does this keep the house and chassis batteries charged when the MH sits for a while (assuming they're fully charged when parked).
Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 69RoadRunner:
I see that the Ventana comes with a 5 watt solar panel. Does this keep the house and chassis batteries charged when the MH sits for a while (assuming they're fully charged when parked). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that panel only attempts to keep the chassis batteries charged.

joe
Old 04-08-2008, 09:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
A 5 watt solar panel produces approximately 0.3 Amps under rated conditions. This output may cover parasitic loads at best. Therefore does little to charge any of your batteries.

General consensus is that this "token" solar panel is connected to the chassis batteries.

If you are looking to have your chassis batteries charged by solar panels I would opted for the solar prep option on your unit, then have dealer install the desired amount of panels on your roof that meets your needs.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you are looking to have your chassis batteries charged by solar panels I would opted for the solar prep option on your unit, then have dealer install the desired amount of panels on your roof that meets your needs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I meant house batteries. Mind finger connection obviously had a bad moment lose of signal.

Spike

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Old 04-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #6

The Newmar factory installed solar panel is connected to the chassis batteries only. If the batteries are fully charged the solar panel will help keep them charged during storage.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #7

Can you upgrade the factory panel without running new wires?

I'm not talking about covering the whole roof with panels, but maybe 1 larger one that can do a better job charging during the winter.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #8

That solar panel is connected to small wires and it has a long run to the batteries. If you install a larger panel you need to run larger wires. Also, the dash charge controller is not sized and designed for more output then the standard solar panel.

If you want to upgrade you need to run larger wiring and a real solar charge controller. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #9

My '03 KSDP sat winterized for four months with nothing but the 5W panel charging the batteries. The chassis battery had plenty of charge to start the engine and generator. My coach batteries were a little low (~11.5V) but usable, which makes me wonder if the little solar panel was charging the chassis batteries sufficiently to engage the cross-connect (whatever it's called) and trickle charge the coach as well. Don't know, but all was well, which is all that matters.

2001 Grand Cherokee
ViperDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That solar panel is connected to small wires and it has a long run to the batteries. If you install a larger panel you need to run larger wires. Also, the dash charge controller is not sized and designed for more output then the standard solar panel.

If you want to upgrade you need to run larger wiring and a real solar charge controller. Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #11

That makes sense.

I guess I could remove the house batteries when it's in storage and keep them on a battery maintainer at home.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
A better plan may be to ensure your house battery disconnect relay is in the off posistion while your unit is in storage, along with your propane and CO2 detectors, this pretty much isolates all house battery draws. Just prior to use, check your battery water level then charge your house batteries, this will limit the number of cycles on your batteries during periods of storage therefore increasing the overall life of your batteries. Also decrease the amount of periodic maintenance you will need to do on your batteries during times of storage.

I am assuming that when you plan to store your unit no 120VAC power will be available.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Old 04-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #13

That's correct. I will be using a storage lot all the time, and it has not 110 power available.

It does have propane available and a dumping station, which is nice.

My next house will have room for storage.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #14

In addition to what Spike said, here is another idea. The generator needs to be run once a month and that will recharge the batteries, both Chassis and house. While the gernrator is running uder load do an inspection of the interior and exterior - water leaks, tires inflated, etc. After you turn off the generator do the battery disconnect and the batteries will hold their charge until the next month.