Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #1

Does the generator start automatically?????

I have a 2018 Newmar Ventana. When I am not using shore power - It is my understanding my generator will come on when the batteries drop to a certain level. What do I need to do to make sure this will work? How far will the batteries deplete before the generator comes on? I don't want to be gone for the day and come home to find my generator didn't kick on and my fridge is not working. I have a dog and want the AC to kick on if it gets warm inside.
I have tried unplugging power and letting the batteries/ converter do the work but have never had he generator kick on. So I end up starting it to refresh the batteries.
Is there some setting I need to do to make it start when the batteries reach a certain level? HELP -reading the instruction manuals are driving me crazy.
Thanks
SRQrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
You need to enable the generator Auto-Start and set the parameters for it to do so. I am not familiar with how to do that on the 2018 Ventana, but it can...and, should...be done. I'm sure someone with a similar system will be along shortly with specific instructions on how to do it.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #3

Based upon a Dutch Star, I’m guessing the Ventana will be similar. So let me give you some quick help.

You should be looking for the AGS Menu on the Magnum’s remote panel in the OHC.

The AGS needs to be ENABLED.

You should scroll through and check the parameters for low battery which will be 11.5 or 11.0 most likely.

You can also verify the Quiet times which will inhibit the generator from starting during those times.

Hope this helps.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2897.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	239159
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:18 AM   #4

I don't know if this is still correct, but if you start your generator manually it will turn off the AGS.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #5

Just call Newmar, I have called them many times for my rig which is way out of warranty. They are always very helpful.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was told by Magnum and others 12.1 VDC is the minimum voltage to maintain healthy batteries. If you run them too low they will not have a long life.

Also RR is correct, when you start manually it will disable the AGS. You will need to reset the enable.

Call Magnum and they will walk you through it. The TS rep I talked to got me "off the cliff" right after we hit the road in 17.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look in the Black Bag...or google ME-AGS-N and download the instruction manual. Section 8 is all about setting up the AGS in the ME-RC remote.

You need to set up run time, voltage settings, and temperature... then learn how to enable, enable w/quiet time, or turn it off...from the remote. When you think you've got it set up...do a confidence check...and watch it do it's thing.

Newmar uses the pigtail between the Dometic Climate Control and your AGS. No remote temp probe was installed. When setting up AGS...for temp you select "Ext. Input:". The AGS will then be watching your dometic thermostat for knowing when it's needed. If the thrmostat calls for the air cobditioning to cone on...and you have no 120v power to it...either because you've had a shore power outage, unplugged, or the PCS has load shed that air conditioner...with AGS enabled, and temp set for remote...the AGS will start the Generator...if you have the PCS...it sheds the loads and allows the generator to warmup, then the loads are returned...a/c runs till thermostat tells it to shut off...pcs sheds again to let gen cool down then it shuts off. Early models would run for the run time...which is normally set based on how large a bank of batteries you have. If triggered by voltage...the run time is there to allow the generator to run long enough to do some recharging...bigger bank of batteries, longer run time.

There are many ways to install these...it is a good idea to learn your installation...set it up correctly...and test it out to gain confidence and understanding.

Outside help...while well intended...may be based on a different System, Remote, Software Version, With or without the pigtail to the Air Conditioning Brain Box.

It might take a couple of reads...but each Magnum Manual is broken down about the same. There are usually a few sections in the end that are dedicated to he remote you have. ME-RC, ME-ARC, or ME-RTR. The ME-RC is prerty standard for Newmar. If you want more functions...and are willing to spend the time to learn the new settings...a ME-BMK, ME-ARC upgrade will give you a lot more features...the BMK is a battery monitor...the ARC is the Advanced Remote Control.

Wether or not your AGS is disabled by starting is an AGS TECH setting fir RV, or other. Again...good to read the manual...and learn the settings for your intallation.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
I was told by Magnum and others 12.1 VDC is the minimum voltage to maintain healthy batteries. If you run them too low they will not have a long life.

Also RR is correct, when you start manually it will disable the AGS. You will need to reset the enable.

Call Magnum and they will walk you through it. The TS rep I talked to got me "off the cliff" right after we hit the road in 17.
The 12.1 volts in theory sounds right. however you will find your genset will auto start too often and even every time you draw a heavy load. The setting should be about 11.6 or so as this is not the rested battery state. At a rested, disconnected battery bank, a 12.1 volt level would be near 11.5 volts with normal coach loads drawing power.
The battery's health voltage is at the rested state, not under normal use.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:53 AM   #9

Thanks

Auto gen works perfectly. Thanks for all the help.
SRQrover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator