RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #1

Does the windshield "float"

My wife was driving our 2010 4386 DSDP, i was in the passenger seat when i happened to look at the bottom right corner of the windshield. There is a Newmar sticker. Then i noticed that the windshield seemed to be "floating" back and forth about a quarter of an inch each way. We stopped and looked outside and everything seemed fine. It started raining a little later and nothing leaks. Is this normal?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2018, 09:02 PM   #2

I wouldn't think that is normal. Most of the windshields are set in the rubber gasket with a glue. Was the windshield replaced before you bought it, if so, the installers may not have used any glue.
I would call Newmar to get their opinion. I have found them very helpful with my questions.
Newmar Customer Service: 1-800-731-8300; 7:30AM – 4:00PM EST

Old 08-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #3

I am assuming it is the original because the windshield has a Newmar sticker in lower corner.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:11 AM   #4

Do the windshields "float"? Yes and No would be my answer. I just had mine replaced at Nappanee this week.

After they get the broken one out they have to get the coach set just right so that the opening is perfectly square. This usually involves putting the slides out and getting it on the jacks, but not always. They may try it a couple different ways with different models but they won't install the new glass until that opening is perfectly squared up because it can flex slightly.

They set the new glass and then glaze it in from the outside. The black glazing material has to set up for 24 hours so they keep the coach inside with the entrance door open. They don't want any pressure on the glass or any flex on that opening until the glazing sets up. So in a way it is "floating" on the exterior glazing material but it should not be moving in and out IMHO.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:42 AM   #5

It depends on what type of mount your windshield has. Mine is in a rubber gasket, so as the vehicle flexes, the windshield will float within the gasket.
newer autos (and probably most newer RVs) use a windshield that is glued into place with urethane. This has some movement, but not nearly as much as the rubber gasket.
You don't want it rigid because glass doesn't flex much before it cracks. The vehicle has much more movement as it undulates across the gravel and pavement breaks.

If yours is not leaking, enjoy the view.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #6

Agreed... Yes they float until the black stuff cures, and no they don't after, but may flex a bit to keep from stressing the windshield while on the road.

As a footnote: I also had mine replaced at Newmar this week. As mentioned above, they level the coach, square up the opening by moving the slides around until the opening is just right, then set the glass. They use spacers/shims to maintain the gap between the bottom of the glass and the cap, then tape it in place. They do not want any movement in the coach - no doors opening and closing... Nothing, for 24 hours. Once the initial application has cured, they remove the shims and back fill the rest.

They smooth the exterior portion between the glass and the cap almost to the point it looks like a gasket. Glad I had it done here. They have the right scaffolding and tools and know what the are doing... I've seen windshields swapped out in campgrounds by two guys on ladders... Couldn't imagine allowing that after watching Newmar techs work.
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDutchman View Post
Agreed... Yes they float until the black stuff cures, and no they don't after, but may flex a bit to keep from stressing the windshield while on the road.

As a footnote: I also had mine replaced at Newmar this week. As mentioned above, they level the coach, square up the opening by moving the slides around until the opening is just right, then set the glass. They use spacers/shims to maintain the gap between the bottom of the glass and the cap, then tape it in place. They do not want any movement in the coach - no doors opening and closing... Nothing, for 24 hours. Once the initial application has cured, they remove the shims and back fill the rest.

They smooth the exterior portion between the glass and the cap almost to the point it looks like a gasket. Glad I had it done here. They have the right scaffolding and tools and know what the are doing... I've seen windshields swapped out in campgrounds by two guys on ladders... Couldn't imagine allowing that after watching Newmar techs work.
Had cracked windshield replaced in Melbourne Fl. 1st one recracked while sitting in it regular spot. Company sent out shop forman to replace 2nd cracked drivers windshield. He said first tec used wrong sealent???. Each time onky one service man dud job standing on rear of company pic up. 2nd window still good after7000 miles. Go figure.

Russ Silber is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
windshield