Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #1

With breaking down on my mind lately, I totally forgot I wanted to ask about my oil pressure. It looks a bit on the low side to me, just wondering if others feel it's low or OK. I was going to post this several days ago but hadn't been able to upload pictures. Here goes:

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #2

With breaking down on my mind lately, I totally forgot I wanted to ask about my oil pressure. It looks a bit on the low side to me, just wondering if others feel it's low or OK. I was going to post this several days ago but hadn't been able to upload pictures. Here goes:

Old 01-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
CSX4350,
Although I have an 350 ISBXT my operator manual says the minimium allowed oil pressure "at Rated Speed" is 30PSI, 10PSI at Low Idle. Looks to me you are at about 35PSI max which IMO is pretty low for a relatively new coach. I would recommend looking at your Cummins owners manual, Section V (I believe), and see what the minimums are for your engine.

Out of curiosity what does your Coach Information System readout tell you the Oil Pressure is? Also has it your analog gage always read that low or is this a recent development?

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #4

It looks fine - your engine is hot so oil will flow easily. There are two safe guards in ECM system. First, the engine won't start until there is oil pressure and it will shutdown if it goes too low.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #5

It is in the acceptable range, but it seems to be low. At that rpm and temperature my 315 hp Cummins ISC and my 370 hp Cummins ISL both run about 52 psi.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #6

It is an ISM 450, and I make the oil pressure out to be in the 35# area. At an idle it is under 25, probably 20#. When first started cold it is 75#+. When I got it the coach was a demo and had 5000 miles, this is my first trip in it. Diesels always seem to run a bit lower oil pressure, but this one alarmed me. It just seems too low. If it was in the middle at 50# I wouldn't be as worried, but 35# at a highway cruise just doesn't seem right. If I have a digital oil pressure readout I haven't found it yet. I will look as it is always possible the gauge is off.
Yes, the engine temp is a bit higher than normal but I took the picture while climbing some pretty good mountains. The temp is normally a bit lower, but the oil pressure is the same.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
CSX4350, if you push the arrow buttons that are to the right of your digital readout on your dash you will toggle through several screens that are preset. There are a couple of modes to this systems, one being key off, other being key on. Key off limits the info that can be viewed, and the programming/customizing that you can do. Key On gives you the full access. If your coach has an outside temperature sensor, it is kind of nice to press the button in the morning to get the outside temp if it is part of the default screen settings. The side arrow gets you to the operating info screens (4 of them, one default, 3 optional) that can be program to give you all sorts of info, one of them being oil pressure. If you press the down arrow from any of the screens you get to the trip meters, another down arrow gets you to the fuel avg MPG and instantaneous fuel consumption, miles remaining on fuel screens. Down arrows will also get you to several other programmable areas of this system. Look through your owners manuals, you should have a booklet in your Chassis Binder that explains how to operate this system, whats available through it, and how to program/customize some of the screens so they provide the info you want to see.

If you did not get this booklet when you purchased your coach, after you verbally admonish the dealer, contact me via the private mode with your email address, I will scan mine into a file and email it to you.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 AM   #8

csx4350, good morning, I have an 08 MA with the 450. At 1400 rpm my oil pressure is 35psi and if hot will drop to 20/25psi at idle. I have not had any problem. My speedometer is slow by 5mph and I have to drive 66/67mph to get to 1400rpm. Also keep an eye on radiator water level mine loses about a qt. every 5000 miles. Does your name refer to a RR?
safe travels Aubie
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:05 AM   #9

At that operating temperature the pressure looks the same as mine. It's good to go.

Peter
Old 01-15-2008, 03:23 AM   #10

And it looks the same as mine too
(500 ISM running at 62 mph)
Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aubie:
csx4350, good morning, I have an 08 MA with the 450. At 1400 rpm my oil pressure is 35psi and if hot will drop to 20/25psi at idle. I have not had any problem. My speedometer is slow by 5mph and I have to drive 66/67mph to get to 1400rpm. Also keep an eye on radiator water level mine loses about a qt. every 5000 miles. Does your name refer to a RR?
safe travels Aubie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to check for a coolant leak for that kind of loss. Maybe the core in the EvansTempco heating unit or a losse connection.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:43 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
At that operating temperature the pressure looks the same as mine. It's good to go.

Peter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ISM spec is 8 psi at low idle and 25 psi at TP or 1200RPM.

Also to temperature question - the thermostat is a modulating type rated 180-200
Old 01-15-2008, 05:38 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aubie:My speedometer is slow by 5mph and I have to drive 66/67mph to get to 1400rpm. Does your name refer to a RR?
safe travels Aubie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the input everyone, I will probably have my local Spartan/Cummins dealer document the oil pressure just in case there is a problem later.
According to GPS my speedo is high, but only by 1 MPH.
No, the CSX does not refer to the railroad, it is the VIN of my Shelby Cobra. All real Cobras have a VIN starting with CSX, Carroll Shelby Xperimental.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #14

Looks exactly like my dash under the same conditions with a late 07 ISM/500 for the past 19,000 miles.

If you go get an ECM reading, especially at a non-mountainous shop, don't be surprised that the ECM buffer will be full of "engine derate" codes. The ECM derates these motors under high altitude conditions to avoid over-speeding the turbo and hence generates a buffer full of perfectly normal derate codes. Make sure they poke through all these completely normal derate codes for anything different. A mountain shop will do this, shops in the plains might not.

PS my speedo is +1mph too.