Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Does your front door rattle?

2017 DS 4369.

If I don't slam, I mean really slam, the front door shut it will rattle incessantly especially over any bumps on I90 for instance. If I hold the door 8" open and really pull it closed hard I can get it to shut so it is not rattling.

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment on the door that can be made to correct this issue. I am concerned with using such a hard close causing a bigger problem down the road.

thanks

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #2

This may seem a strange fix for our door rattling on both our Essex and now our 18 LA. After trying many adjustments, spacers and lubrication we found that rapping the door striker with aluminum tape was the only fix that stopped our door rattle. It last about 200 door closing or 3 to 5 months. Just did it yesterday because the door started tattling again. Wrap the striker with about 8 to 10 wraps and see if that works for you. Have been doing this on Essex for 10 years and started on LA after about 6 months when door started to rattle.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #3

Door adjustment procedure.

As documented many times here, Newmar has covered the adjustment with a trim board that must be removed.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...013DRENTDR.pdf

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/ptl-...?highlight=ptl

Your problem is somewhat opposite, but the same...go figure. The latch is a 2 position latch. In order for you to get it one the inner portion the slamming must be done. When it is not slammed, it is on the first latch, leaving it loose in the frame to rattle. The adjustment process is tedious, but worthwhile.

Teeny-tiny wood screws screwed into the screw hole plugs will pop out the plug, revealing the buried screw into the frame.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #4

Does your front door rattle?

Another hard to close issue is the rubber bumpers that are mounted to the door. In my case, they were too long. My dealer replaced them with a shorter version which made the door easy to close. I was about to remove the trim piece and adjust the latch, but it wasn’t necessary after the bumpers were replaced.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Is the rattle the door or the screen door? First try to identify the source of the rattle, maybe if someone can push on the screen door while you're driving and see if that's the source or use some duct tape. Mine rattles there but not the main door. Other sources of rattle can be the arm at the top side of the door, some have put some felt under it.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

And I thought it was just my low end BSS door that does that.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Golfer Guy"......Before you do anything, did you know that Newmar uses a TWO position lock. While camping, if you close the door, without slamming, it closes to theFIRST position and will lock. You can tell the first position, as the door sticks out a little from the frame when closed.

When ready for travel, you need to slam the door to engage the SECOND latch. I like to push outward on the door frame, at the latch height and then slam the door.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #8

Another rattle source I found while fixing my door. ..
Around the door frame you will find plastic hole covers. Remove those and check screws. Mine were loose and had two that were stripped out. Fixed that and there was one less rattle.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bydnar View Post
Door adjustment procedure.

As documented many times here, Newmar has covered the adjustment with a trim board that must be removed.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...013DRENTDR.pdf

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/ptl-...?highlight=ptl

Your problem is somewhat opposite, but the same...go figure. The latch is a 2 position latch. In order for you to get it one the inner portion the slamming must be done. When it is not slammed, it is on the first latch, leaving it loose in the frame to rattle. The adjustment process is tedious, but worthwhile.

Teeny-tiny wood screws screwed into the screw hole plugs will pop out the plug, revealing the buried screw into the frame.

Thanks Randy for the good info on these other post.

DS Don I will give your method a try before I tear into this door issue. Crazy to think it is necessary to use so much force to get that second latch to hold the door in. No doubt it will cause a problem over time with the window seal.

Thanks for everyone's input. Great group of RV'ers here to share info with.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The door is certainly adjustable, I just wanted to make sure you know it has a double latch and is pretty much designed to have a hard close or slam. If you loosen the adjustment until it's easy to close, the door will leak air and rattle more.

Adjusting the latch is really a POOR design by Newmar. It requires removing the entire wooden door frame. That requires removing and damaging the wooden plugs. After all these years, all they needed to do was make a removable wooden section at the latch assembly.

It was also noted that you need to check the rubber stoppers on the screen door, between the screen and main door, attached to the screen.

Newmar created two lengths of these stoppers because the original ones were too long and held the door open. Go inside close the door and make sure there is some space between the stoppers and the outer door. If not, you may need the shorter stoppers..
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #11

After you do all the adjustments and if still having a rattle the metal tap on the door striker might be what works. Have taken door apart and made different adjustments but door still rattled.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #12

My door noise is NOT a rattle but a huge wind noise at the hinge near bottom. It's on our Warranty list! Sigh.... appointment scheduled for October.
bbrewer841 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door