RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #1

Newmar change the rear-view mirrors on our new 2007 Essex. They now hang down from above verse on our 2004 Essex pointed up from below.

After taking delivery and on our way back to Florida, it was apparent that the new mirrors had some getting used to. As we where headed east, into the morning sun, my wife lowered her visor. Whoa, that blocks my view, I can't see the mirror. We began to notice other differences, it helped past the time, and listed them.

So, here is our view of the pros and cons of the dog-eared mirrors:
Cons:
1. Passenger cannot lower visor, blocks driver's view.
2. It requires a ladder to clean them, unless you are a 7 ft. basketball player.
3. Driver can not use the side sun shade, block's view.
4. You are looking up to see the mirror, into a bright background. At one point I looked directly into the sun. The old mirrors you looked down into a darker background.
5. They add about a foot to the width of the coach.

Pros:
1. You don't hit you head as you walk around the coach.

As for the visibility, I'm undecided if it's better than the old version. Yes, I can work around these Cons, but I wonder why Newmar changed their design. These are my observations on our 1,500 mile trip back too Florida.

Jim Overman
'07 Essex
'07 Ford Explorer

Jim Overman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #2

Newmar change the rear-view mirrors on our new 2007 Essex. They now hang down from above verse on our 2004 Essex pointed up from below.

After taking delivery and on our way back to Florida, it was apparent that the new mirrors had some getting used to. As we where headed east, into the morning sun, my wife lowered her visor. Whoa, that blocks my view, I can't see the mirror. We began to notice other differences, it helped past the time, and listed them.

So, here is our view of the pros and cons of the dog-eared mirrors:
Cons:
1. Passenger cannot lower visor, blocks driver's view.
2. It requires a ladder to clean them, unless you are a 7 ft. basketball player.
3. Driver can not use the side sun shade, block's view.
4. You are looking up to see the mirror, into a bright background. At one point I looked directly into the sun. The old mirrors you looked down into a darker background.
5. They add about a foot to the width of the coach.

Pros:
1. You don't hit you head as you walk around the coach.

As for the visibility, I'm undecided if it's better than the old version. Yes, I can work around these Cons, but I wonder why Newmar changed their design. These are my observations on our 1,500 mile trip back too Florida.

Jim Overman
'07 Essex
'07 Ford Explorer

Jim Overman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #3

The mirrors in 2008 are back lower as per this picture of just one of the models. It was a change applauded by attendees at Newmar International FMCA Chapter meeting dinners with Parks and Co.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #4

Jim, You are absolutely correct, but as you noted, you have not had enough experience with them yet. Your future experience will show other major faults. Vision due to glare is next to none in some conditions. The mirrors will blow out, that is swing out from the bottom if driven fast into high winds, regardless of tightening them.
Note that they were also on the '07 Dutch Star but not on the '08. That is due to the DSDP being still able to mount them there. On the others there is not due to the mobile front end. In my opinion they would have changed them all to the original position but were unable to at this time. These are definately the worst designed mirror set up in the industry.

Peter
Old 04-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #5

Hey Jim, just noticed it was your first post. Welcome, we need more good input.

Peter
Old 04-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree with Jim 100%

The Mountain Aire, Essex, and King Aire all have the high mirrors for 2008.

The London Aire has the inverted mirrors also, but they are mounted lower than the other 3 models.

All of the other diesels have gone back to the traditional mirrors.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

My 07 Essex mirrors were as terrible as everyone has stated...When the sun was from the right front and glared across the front, you could forget using the driver's side mirror.

Solution for all of you is to do what I did....BUY AN LADB!!

Seriously, lowering the mirrors in the LADB has solved a lot of the glare issues.

Something else I am exploring is replacing the front side windows with windows with more tint....Before we go there,I'm NOT rolling tint on them...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

On my 06 Dutchstar with the high mounted mirrors the reflections made it difficult to use the drivers side mirrors and night driving was even worse. I have spoken to other 06 DSDP owners and heard the same complaints. The fix for me was to have a longer arm installed (same length as curbside) and it changed the geometry enough to eliminate the reflections both day and night. Con is limted mirror width use due to the driver side windshield post. Work was done at the factory.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Ronnie, I believe Peter either tried this or looked into it with his Essex...

He'll be checking in shortly I'm sure...
Old 04-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #10

One other "pro" is the copilots GPS/laptop sitting on the dash does not block the view to the mirrors.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #11

Yes I did try the longer arm (same as passenger side), but on the '07 Essex, the arms, when fully rotated full forward was not visible through the windshiels unless you leaned way up to look around the pillar. It would require about another 4" or so in the arm length. Unfortunitely, one they don't make one longer and secondly it would probably be subject to excessive vibration rendering them useless, yes more useless than they are now.

Personally I'm waiting until Newmar corrects their design, and they will, and try to copy or add similar at my expense.

Peter
Old 04-08-2007, 05:09 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jim, just noticed it was your first post. Welcome, we need more good input. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Jim! Great to hear from you. Congrats on your new coach. How about letting us know how your Essex came out? Did you add some stainless to it, like you were talking about? How about some of the other specials you were going to do. Are you happy? For those who do not know Jim, he is a very active member of the NKK Florida Pelicans. He and his wife are a great couple. Paul
Old 04-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

WELCOME to iRV2 Jim....

Pelicans? Geez....I've already joined the Sea Turtles and the Manatees and am already lookimg at their '08 schedule.

Even though my mirrors are lower,they're not immune to "blowing out" to the side when going down the road and as Peter has posted it doesn't matter HOW tight you get that nut on the top,they're going to blow out in the wind...

When THAT happens they look like floppy BUNNY ears more than dog ears.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:39 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Even though my mirrors are lower,they're not immune to "blowing out" to the side when going down the road and as Peter has posted it doesn't matter HOW tight you get that nut on the top,they're going to blow out in the wind... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's interesting, as I have never had that problem, however, I stay at subsonic speeds.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote