Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Dogs and HWH

We are looking at ordering a DS for April delivery. As we were looking at a floor model my DW noticed that while the slides are in, there is about a 2" lip at the edge of the slide. We travel with our GR and are concerned that there isn't enough room for him to turn around and he won't be able to lie down with the lip. Any good ideas out there? A friend recommended laying a couple of 2X4s next to the lip to level it out.

My current RV doesn't have the lip and has more room, but doesn't have a TV behind the couch either.

Please point me to a thread if this has been covered before.

Also, one of the reasons to go with Newmar is the legacy brand and reputation. So sad they're getting bought.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
We are looking at ordering a DS for April delivery. As we were looking at a floor model my DW noticed that while the slides are in, there is about a 2" lip at the edge of the slide. We travel with our GR and are concerned that there isn't enough room for him to turn around and he won't be able to lie down with the lip. Any good ideas out there? A friend recommended laying a couple of 2X4s next to the lip to level it out.

My current RV doesn't have the lip and has more room, but doesn't have a TV behind the couch either.

Please point me to a thread if this has been covered before.

Also, one of the reasons to go with Newmar is the legacy brand and reputation. So sad they're getting bought.
I’m sure Winnebago will fix that in no time
Ps: buy a tiffin lol

Zzotte
Old 09-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We travel with a Boxer and she has no trouble with the narrow space between the slides. We raise the step cover and place a dog bed on the floor where she sleeps while traveling. She will occasionally sit up and rest her chin on the dash to see where we are or she will sniff the outside air coming in thru the A/C vent. If she goes in the back for a drink she just backs up until she is back up front or she can jump up on the couch. Just make sure that you lock the deadbolt in case the door opens.
Aweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
Commercial Member

we travel with a dog all the time. she sleeps under the table which is part of the slide.
she actually likes to ride on the slide as it goes in and out. she runs from where ever she is at just for the ride.
animals adjust quickly to new environments.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Our 85lb. Golden (Bronson) wants to go with us no matter the circumstances. It took him a few trips to get used to the tighter walk back, but he has it figured out and knows where he can and can't turn around. We put a small bed between the front seats and always close the step cover when traveling, so that gives him a couple of choices for him to hang out. We keep his water and food bowls in the little nook in the kitchen below the electric range.
And he LOVES (As we do) the heated floors in the winter.
Good luck with your purchase.
Cheers.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:14 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I lost a lot of 'walkback' room with my NA, but she was determined and pushes herself through the gauntlet. It took me 4 months to think of putting the sofa cushion up and that gained her a few more inches and she passes through to the back with ease now.

Guess I am fortunate that the sofa is as deep as the slide out, so the lip/rise you wrote about isn't a concern for us.

I too keep the step cover closed and have a bed and blankets over it and between the seats. She also loves to rest her head on the dash. Yelling often at anyone that passes us and to announce when we pass by a body of water. so odd.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, hwh