Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2006, 08:12 AM   #1

Well that sure saves a lot of hassle. My driver side power sun visor failed as did the zone #2 temperature sensor. I test each to determine the correct component failure and contacted Newmar. They sent the new replacements and I changed them out. They all work great now and they sent a return shipping paper to send the faulty units back
I sure prefer this to messing around with dealers.

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Do you think Newmar will do this for those of us who own standard line coaches? Essex owners are considered high line (very special people who are treated extra special). Next time, I have a failure, I will try what you did. Stay tuned, the time between failures is short.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #3

Peter,
What symptoms did you have on the temp sensor?
I have a zone that seems to cut in/off differently than the rest in regards to temp.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
cwg

Peter, the best thing about doing YOUR own warranty work is that you know how to do it. My problem is that I wouldn't have a clue.

This means with your expertise, there are many of us who be trying to park next to you at the rallies!
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:31 PM   #5

For the temperature sensors you have to varify the temperature at the sensor and match it with what the panel says it is. If the sun is beating in on the sensor loaction area, it may well be much higher than the surounding space. For example, in the morning to noon the sun can increase my #2 sensor to about 82 to 87 while the immediate space is probably not over 70. Using an IR temp gun can confirm the actual temp to match with the central readout.

As far as High Line, I think Newmar would be pleased to supply replacements instead of having to pay service charges, providing a qualified troubleshooting method is carried out to ensure the correct component that needs replacing and that the customer returns those failed items so they can get the credit from their vendor.

Peter
Old 11-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Please excuse my post for not directly being Newmar related. Instead, it is warranty related.

I had an extended warranty on my 2000 MH. Right away I discovered a bad slide motor and a bad windshield wiper motor. At first the dealer told me that I had to bring the unit to them (200 mile round trip) because that is how the extended warranty worked.

I told them that I wanted the warranty refunded because I wasn't going to drive the MH 200 miles just for parts that I can R&R myself. They tried to talk me out of it and finally succeeded, only after offering to ship the parts to me and waive the $50 deductable on each part. I was happy with that and went on with life.

<rant mode on> But because of my experience below, I've learned that extended warranties are just a money-making scheme for RV dealerships.

Seven months (July) after I purchased the coach, one of the air conditioner's drain pan backed up and condensation ran into the coach's roof, staining the ceiling. The dealership then told me that the extended warranty does not cover the ceiling or roof or walls of my coach. That is when I demanded a refund of the extended warranty without any delay.

The point-of-sale was at Avalon RV in Medina Ohio (Bill Rowell are you listening), it was very clearly stated (by the dealership's deal "closer") that I was purchasing a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty covering all appliances, front/rear caps, sidewall/roof/floor construction, siding, roofing, and chassis components. The rip off came as the refund was pro-rated. The calculation went back to the month that the coach was originally put into service, which was 16 months before I bought it. So instead of getting a refund based on 7/84ths usage, it was based on 23/84ths usage. Bottom line is that the refund was a rip off too.

I have come the conclusion that the cost of any warranty (including manufacturer's warranties) is ultimately paid for up front by the consumer.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #7

George, I agree with you on extended warranties, they ain't worth it. I necer buy extended warranty on anything. Without it you can still contact the component manufacturer and negotiate with them. The extended warranties are a money maker, not for the dealer as they only get a commission, but the offshore corporation that make bundles of consumer's money with little return.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:33 PM   #8

Unfortunately on my last warranty request Newmar was no help. Had to align the ramp on my garage(which has no adjustment) and they only would send me to a dealer and there ain't no dealer in the US that has a clue about the ATME garage ramp. Was able to design a shim which aligns the ramp-shame there is no communication route to Newmar engineering as this would be a fix they will have to come up with eventually. PS-we have fixed all of our problems(loose pumbing fixtures, leak in frig ice maker, loose door cover on frig, neutral switch, two oil leaks on generator, overfill on rear end fluid, defective Winegard video switcher, etc, etc.) so far ourselves. Not complaining just wish there was a better communications route(for the people that are capable of fixing issues) to competent service and/or engineering personnel at Newmar.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #9

I was in Kansas City, MO. when my dead bolt lock failed. No Newmar dealer in a 150 radius and I tried to get them to drop ship to me.

They told me to suck eggs. In addition the lock cost a $169.00, was non standard and if had been a regular dead bolt lock I could have picked up for 25 to 50 bucks

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some of the items that get everyone a pain in the butt dealing with dealers is alot easier doing yourself. As you get into these forums and learn by doing you will get more satisfaction by fixing yourself.
If its your first or second coach maybe harder but the simple fixes you will be able to handle. You have friends here and in your travels that will help you figure out a problem. Just build up your confidence in yourself and you may even surprise yourself.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:20 AM   #11

I second doing yojur own work. I'v replaced one temp sensor and one solenoid. In both cases Newmar sent out the replacement and I installed it.

On the temp sensor. he way I tested them for functionality - not accuracy - was to put a hair dryer on each one. Just for a short period while watching the temp read out.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:12 AM   #12

Is this a dealer problem or a Newmar problem??? The dealers can't get it right and Newmar won't let us do it. When I picked up my new MH last Nov in MI, the toilet paper holder was laying in the closet uninstalled and broke. Not noticed at the time of pickup, but later as we loaded. I called the dealer, 85miles away, and he said he would order another. I asked if he could drop ship it to me,"Oh NO, We have to install warranty parts". I called Newmar am\nd they said the same thing. The dealer finally called me on Jan 29th to say they wanted to set up an appointment. If I were still in MI, I wouldn't have driven 170miles in the SNOW to get a toilet paper holder. This was a new coach and this was how the dealer and Newmar was treating us. If the owners are willing, I think they ought to at least give it a try. I don't want to exchange a major applaince or part of the slide mechs, but not letting me install a tiolet paper holder?????
Old 11-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #13

What is the name of your dealer in Michigan?

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I got my new coach I went out and bought new brass towel rings,hooks,towel rack hangers and toilet paper holders.
Its your MH you can put in the cheap stuff supplied or go first class. Also got door and draw pull plates so wifes nails do not scratch the woodwork behind pulls.
The less the dealer sees my MH the happier I and she are.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote