RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #1

Dometic 8700 macerator toilet plugged up (Solved)

I was dry camping at the Glamis sand dunes all last week. On Sunday the 10th, I was going to head home however the toilet in the master bath wouldn't flush. When I pressed the button, the water in the bowl just bubbled and the waste wouldn't evacuate the toilet bowl. Fortunately I was parked next to a pit toilet and using an empty plastic coffee container I was able to scoop up most of the liquid in the toilet and dump it down the pit toilet so I could drive home.

Once I got home, I called Dometic as their troubleshooting section in their manual didn't explain how to solve the problem.

They referred me to Ardemco in Costa Mesa. James at Ardemco was very helpful and diagnosed my problem as a clogged 'check valve' or as it's known in older manuals a "duckbill valve"

Since I have (2) Dometic 8700's I bought 2 valves which totaled $34.30 and that included shipping. I ordered the valves yesterday 11/12/19 and they arrived today 11/13/19.

Fortunately the toilet in the master bath backs up to the escape door so I was able to replace the valve from the outside of my coach. I checked the toilet in the middle of the coach and with a mirror for visibility, I should be able to change that valve, not as easy as the rear toilet but it can be done and it beats removing the toilet from the floor.

I've included a PDF with a schematic of parts and the part in question is #15 in the exploded view. It took about 20 minutes to replace the valve and all it required was a 5/16" nut driver to remove 2 hose clamps and 2 pairs of Channel locks to unscrew parts 14 and 16 to replace the check valve. Once you remove the 2 hose clamps, the black curved waste pipe will move enough to remove 14, 15 and 16 as one unit.
Once that assembly has been removed use channel locks to unscrew 14 from 16 and you'll see the rubber check or duckbill valve. It went together as easy as it came apart.

James at Ardemco told me to fill the toilet with water then squirt a healthy dose of kitchen dish soap into the toilet water and mix it up and flush it into the holding tank. He said do that about 2 or 3 times, twice a month and it will help keep the valve from loading up with waste.

Here's the PDF with the exploded view.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...ges/122366.pdf

I hope this helps other owners of the Dometic 8700 Macerator toilet/s

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had some success using a plunger to unclog the duck bill. You have to be careful and not give too much pressure or it will damage the seal on the pump housing.

Also by squeezing the pipe above the duck bill you can encourage more water to the area and let it soak.

I used this method when too much paper product was used and not enough water

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #3

Dometic

Haven't had that problem yet but will keep the PDF handy.
Thanks
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Larry......more fiber?

Thanks, printed the PDF and Ademco info and put it in my repair book.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #5

Don, it's ARDEMCO not Ademco Phone number is (949)722-7672 Website is
ARDEMCO.COM
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Larry......more fiber?

Thanks, printed the PDF and Ademco info and put it in my repair book.

Not enough fiber = no chocolate milkshake 🤢

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet, dometic, macerator, ace