Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Dometic comfort control/AC problems

I have a new Newmar 3309. It has two AC units and two zones. Controller is a Dometic control center 2 thermostat. Zone 1 AC unit keeps cycling on and off. I am getting a continuous hour glass on the controller. Have also notice erratic inside temp readings, sometimes dropping to very low numbers then back to normal. Suggestions?
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Do a reset on it. I'm brain farting on the procedure, but it involves holding down two of the buttons.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Do a reset on it. I'm brain farting on the procedure, but it involves holding down two of the buttons.

Done. AC still cycling. On for about a minute and then is off, hourglass appears. The restarts after a couple minutes
Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #4

I think it's a bad inside temp sensor - thermocouple
Old 12-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just for the heck of it, try running it with your generator. Maybe there is a low/bad voltage issue.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroquality View Post
I think it's a bad inside temp sensor - thermocouple
Find the location of the (two I expect) temperature sensors on your walls. One for zone one and a second for zone two. We had a similar problem and founs that our zone one sensor was just behind the driver side window up front about 6 inches behind the window. In early morning the way we were parked the sun shone through the window right on the sensor and I had a coat hanging by it further causing it to heat up. The air for zone one came on when the inside temp in the coach was about 65 degrees. I moved the coat so the 65 degree inside air could get to the sensor and the sun could not and all was well.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #7

Tried on the generator today and still short cycling. The temp sensor is under he overhead cabinet above the couch. Don't see anything that would cause it to have a low temp value (which is happening in the early evening). The short cycles are on for 3 minutes then off for a couple. Does blow cold air for this three minutes. I did the controller reset, which didn't solve it. Rear AC unit is working fine.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #8

Take it off the auto mode, and just run it on one of the fan speeds, on ours it will stay on no matter what the temp. Ours cycle on/off just fine in the auto mode, but when we first got it we had to do the reset like Don mentioned.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #9

I put the controller into diagnostic mode today. Ran it through a couple of the menu steps and then back to normal mode. The AC worked correctly after that. Not sure why diagnostic mode did it other than it cycled the AC system components. At any rate it's working.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Glad you got it fixed, I hate taking mine in for anything!
Old 12-26-2014, 04:40 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
New controllers have a diagnostic mode, just like solving problems with a computer, that's great, our old ones didn't have that I guess its time for new coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #12

While the short cycling ended, I am still having problems with the AC. This is on my new 2015 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3309. I have two Dometic Brisk II ACs. There are two zones, 1 and 2 and one Dometic Comfort 2 thermostat. Each zone has a thermistor. Zone 1's is under a cabinet over the couch. Zone 2 is under the cabinet that holds the TV across from the bed. Zone 2 is working fine. Zone 1 isn't. The problem is that the inside temperature, as indicated by the thermistor will jump to a low value. It will stay there for hours. No pattern yet determined I this. I did remove the protective plastic dome on both thermistors. Zone 2 is mounted using a mounting zip tie that that has a mounting hole, and that is screwed to the wood cabinet. Zone 1's thermistor had a broken mounting zip tie, whereby the mounting hole was missing. Thus the thermistor was loose. I removed that broken Zip tie and replaced it and screwed the new mounting zip tie into the wood. This, however, didn't fix the problem. I have checked for drafts, I have done the "reset" for the thermostat controller. None of this works. Here is an example from the other day. Zone 1 and zone 2 had normal temperature readings most of the day, in the high 60s, low 70s. It was a cold evening, and the coach dropped into the mid 60s. I ran the heat, and brought it up to 68. Before it was time for bed, zone 1 suddenly changed to read 54. This while zone 2 was In the 68 range. No reason for this, and it certainly wasn't in the low 50s in zone 1. I realized this because the zone 1 heat was running continuously as it thought it was in the 50s. I played around with it for about an hour, and resorted to setting the Zone 1 temp to around 58 so the heater wouldn't run continuously and we could go to bed. In he middle of the night, I checked the front and it was freezing, at some point, zone 1's temp reading went back to actual figures - in This case the low 60s. So I reset the temp point to 66 and from then to the morning, it worked fine. This has happened a number of times, in the day and in the night. I called my dealer service and they have no idea - recommended a service appointment and was warned it could take a long time to figure it out.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Trying to follow your posts, are you in a cold area or Florida and are you heating by your heat pumps if you have them?
Are both zones displayed on the thermometer as active or on?
The # 1 sensor looks OK and not cracked?
This is the information I find on your units is it correct or do you have the heat pumps also?.
I have not seen "any hour glass indicator" which would indicate time of some type needs to be programed for the zones.
I now do see it as a compressor delay program delay, in instructions.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #14

I emailed Dometic tech services and got this answer. "I would try unplugging the Remote
temperature sensor that is located on Zone 2 and see if the problem goes
away, please note that once the remote sensor is disconnected the temperature
will be read through the thermostat location instead of where the remote
sensor is located so the temperature will vary if the affected zone still
is doing the same thing I would replace the thermostat."

I understand that the remote sensors are typically plugged into the back AC unit, Zone 2. I haven't been on the roof yet as I am over the rear ladder stated max weight by about 30 lbs....

Tags
dometic