Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #15

If the original bolts feel a little bit loose you can wrap them with duct tape to make them a little bit tighter.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad bull View Post
If the original bolts feel a little bit loose you can wrap them with duct tape to make them a little bit tighter.

I use silicone sealer in each hole and then cover each hole with a 3" square of Eternabond. Run the lag bolts thru the Eternabond while the silicone is wet. Tighten each lag sequentially until the corner foam blocks just contact the roof. Lift each corner of the A/C unit. If the corner block breaks contact with the roof, tighten the lag 1/4 turn. The object is to have each corner JUST held in contact with the roof. Do not overtighten. Do not be concerned with a torque spec ... can't be done with lag bolts.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A good way to avoid overtightening bolts like this....use a 1/4" socket set, you're less likely to strip anything.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Once again, thanks so much for all the amazing tips. To answer a previous post, the only thing in the box was the AC/HP, no instructions and definitely no bolts.

I did look to see how the installer installed the front AC last year, I noticed that it's installed crooked on the roof, so I guess I'll be straightening the front one as well as finishing the rear AC. Now I understand how far I need to tighten things down.

Thanks again
Mitchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchone View Post
Once again, thanks so much for all the amazing tips. To answer a previous post, the only thing in the box was the AC/HP, no instructions and definitely no bolts.

I did look to see how the installer installed the front AC last year, I noticed that it's installed crooked on the roof, so I guess I'll be straightening the front one as well as finishing the rear AC. Now I understand how far I need to tighten things down.

Thanks again

Be sure there is a dogleg gasket installed on the front one. A missing dogleg gasket causes cross flow from warm to cool and vastly reduced cooling and heating performance. The dogleg gasket is unique to Newmar and not included in the Dometic package.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update they are important for those who may do a search of the subject in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchone View Post
I'm actually a very good reader, except when it counts, evidently.

I turned the System OFF and pushed the appropriate buttons and it actually picked up the second zone, I tested the Heat Pump and it actually worked.

All problems solved, now all I need to do is bolt it down. What size lag bolts should I use. The ones I took out of the old unit seemed a bit on the skinny side, but it held it on there quite well.

Thanks so much for everyone's help, I've definitely put way too much effort into something that should have been solved early Sunday if I would've tried shutting off the system.

Thanks again
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, install